• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Do you prefer fast or slow dentistry in general?

Do you prefer fast or slow dentistry in general

• Fast, just get me in and out

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Slow, take your time with me

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Depends on the situation

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters
krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I happen to notice in alot of reviews patients saying, "really fast dentistry" "They get me in and out quickly".

Not sure about you but fast dentistry makes me really nervous.. for a number of reasons.. So I'd rather spend more time than less , just kind of easing in slowly to the work, making sure they aren't in a rush on things, and I feel really cared for if they are taking more time somehow .

The times that have been fast have been the scariest of appointments for me, I also have this feeling of them "wanting me out quickly"

My current dentist office I spend enough time at my appointments, they are efficent, and the whole time isn't spent on my teeth, per say, but they always make sure I feel heard before and after and visit kindly with me, and they never seem a hurry. I want to be able to feel like they want to listen and help me with my dental anxieties and procedures in a non hurried way.

I'm curious what other preferences are .

I do not want to feel rushed or treated as a number on a factory line but I also do not want to wait in the waiting room for an hour so there’s a balance in my opinion. I don’t feel like I need a lot of extra time, my dentist is pretty fluid with small talk, reassurance, and explaining as things are happening so there’s not a lot of down time in the appointments but she’s always offered me breaks or paused if things were just going too fast and I became overwhelmed. She’s always been very clear that I can stop her at any time no matter how many times and has kept her word with that.

Edit: I should add that In the beginning, moving slow was very necessary because I needed a lot of warning and explanation or I would jump but I think things do move along a bit faster these days.

Well one thing that would happen to me if it was really rushed or something would be that i really like to ask questions, which answers gives me peace of mind, if we were in a rush i probably would forget to ask resulting in more worry, even if i couls find the answers on google.

I have voted slow I need a dentist to take time and care with me. To reassure me and explain the treatment to me

Slow. No doubt. Many anxious patients when coming sitting in the dental chair are trying to stay for as short as possible rather than making sure the treatment goes well. I talk about it in this video:

I think the question of slow or fast has two parts. Of course there must be enough time to explain what will get done, answer all questions and address all worries that a person might have. There also must be time to allow as many breaks as needed for the person to feel comfortable. There also must be enough time to get a valid consent, to explain treatment options, pros and cons etc.

On the other hand, when it comes to the procedure itself, having a skilled confident dentist that works routinely, quickly and smoothly is an advantage and that's where the "fast" comes in. Feeling like the dentist had done this particular procedure thousand times in her life and is knowing what she is doing is confidence awakening. From talking to few young dentists I know that even for them dealing with a nervous patient is a bit easier once they are skilled and routined with the procedures as they can focus more on the people's emotional state.

I think it all depends on how a person interprets “fast” and “slow.” Fast could mean efficient OR hurried. Slow could mean careful OR poor time management. I definitely don’t want to be there all day but I also do not like feeling rushed. I feel like the pace of my appointments vary depending on how anxious I am and what’s being done. Appointments definitely seem to take longer when I am having a difficult time because of frequent pausing and I think she just moves slower through stuff so she can talk to me throughout. I’ve never taken a break when it’s been offered to me because I don’t want to slow things down and be there longer but sometimes there are breaks that are unavoidable because the dentist gets pulled away for something or she will actually tell me to “take a minute” when we are at a good stopping point so I don’t have the choice to turn down the break. I remember a time when I was having two teeth filled that were next to each other and she sort of changed her way of doing it to a way that would take longer but was more comfortable which I appreciated in that instance.

naturally it is always better if the dentist works efficiently without any complications, however it is crucial that the dentist also works without time pressure and without shortcuts.

The dentist I see , even though appointments are 10 minutes as I under NHS dentist, she also offers private. she never rushes.

I like fast dentistry, but I also like my dentist to use her judgement. At this point in my life, I'm at the extraction step, so it's a bonus if a extraction is quick, but also if she needs to take her time to make the healing less tramatic, that's ok too.

I like it to be efficient but I don’t like to be rushed. My cleanings and check up is actually a pretty solid appointment time. It doesn’t feel rushed and I feel like all my concerns and questions are answered with care. For the other procedures fillings I think if it’s a big one I want them to be able to do it as fast or slow as needed. My dentist does over estimate the time needed for procedures that’s probably to 1 have ample time if a complication arises or 2 give himself time to write notes as well as address all my concerns and questions. So for me it just depends on the situation. My dentist does work on time though and If he is running behind it’s usually 5-10mins maximum but I’m always warned by the receptionist if he is running behind.

There is a new movement that started in Europe called "slow Dentistry" It is compared to slow food movement. Due to severe payment restrictions over the last many years and worsening dentistry has moved in most practices to speed. Well with speed not only does the experience drop but also the quality and thus the movement to slow dentistry with quality in mind.

This is great @comfortdentist ! Good to hear how some are moving to slow dentisty.. I know for me.. everytime my dentist is a bit late. I feel better.. because I know he is taking his time with the person in front of me.. and I feel this everytime I'm in his chair, he is very focused and taking his time with things which makes me feel way more at ease.

Back