• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Phobics prefer blondes - no, gentlemen!

I've never had a female dentist before, but when I booked the appointment for this dentist, I somehow got it into my head that he was a female dentist, so I was looking forward to it thinking that maybe female dentists would be, as a whole, a bit more patient and understanding. Stupid stereotypes, I know, but I've had so many bad experiences with doctors, generally males, that it loosely stuck. But since the dentist I saw today was a male and the best dentist I've ever seen, I'd say that I don't have a preference as long as the individual is a great dentist, particularly with nervous patients.

I just had a wobbly tooth (I thought) and my dentist was away. Saw the female dentist in the same practice and she was lovely, explained everything and how the tooth moves normally like it should so it won't break.

Gender plays no role for me, it's chairside manner, competence and their personality.

Luckily for me my dentist is only hitting 50, and the female dentist is 31, so if mine retires, hopefully she'll still be there.

My dentist is 55 and I shudder at the thought of her ever retiring! I have no back up! :( I hope she plans to retire when she is much much older.

My dentist is very young, probably young enough to be my daugher so with a bit of luck she may stay and I can keep her for a long time. :thumbsup:I just found a bonus to getting older :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My dentist is very young, probably young enough to be my daugher so with a bit of luck she may stay and I can keep her for a long time.

Mine is old enough to be my mother so I'm pretty much without a dentist and searching again in probably the next 10 or so years. I should start lining up back ups with nice young dentists who have no retirement plans in the near future.

I would prefer they not be female, especially similar in age to me due to issues of feeling judged by peers. It is a lot easier for me to deal with it from a middle aged or older man than from someone I may very well see out socially. I'm generally pretty open with my medical professionals, but not for this.

Male or female dentist?

Which one do you think is better for a fearful female patient?

Re: Male or female dentist?

I prefer female dentist.

Male or female dentist?

I think it really depends on why you are fearful. I had always thought I would never want to go to a male dentist. But, then some coworkers recommended my current dentist (this was 6+ years ago) and he's been great -- very compassionate and excellent helping me to manage my anxiety about going to the dentist. I've also seen a couple of male endodontists who have also been great.

My next dentist, I hope, is going to be a male. The last female dentist I went to treated me like a child. I didn't like that.

I have tried both genders, the lady dentist (last good dentist at my old practice) was excellent from an empathy and clinical skills perspective. The male dentist who they employed after her departure I thought was terrible, he was more nervous than me and did everything in a rush.

My current dentist is a man and he is the best dentist I have ever experienced from his chair side manner, involving me in decisions etc. to his clinical skills (complete absence of any discomfort from any procedures with him) plus he has a great sense of humour and the comfiest chair I have ever tried.

in summary, I have no preference as to gender it's really down to the individual dentist and whether I can build a rapport and trust with them. That said, I have no intention of moving as my dentist is definitely "a keeper" ;D

I've had a lot of dentists, all male, and for the first time I've started seeing a female dentist. While it depends on the actual dentist, I think I feel safer with a female, honestly. It just depends, though, on the person. I mean, my endodonist is a guy, and so far I'm loving him :love: But I've not had the same kind of luck with the male dentists I've had, haha.

I would go for the female, just because I think being with someone of the same gender might be a comfort to you in this instance. Keep us posted :)

Really?

Do you also pick between tall or short? Dark or light? Ethnicity?

It is the person not the color of the hair that matters. Check him or her or it out very well first.

Although you have a point about this, there are personality differences between males and females in general. Females ( God love us) are somewhat judgemental and vocal about it. Males, on the other hand, seem a little more laid back and don't seem as intense. That is why I think this question was asked. Correct me if I al wrong, please!

I think if there is a history of trauma by a dentist it can be difficult to feel comfortable with a dentist who has similar characteristics -- whether that be gender, tone of voice, appearance, what their office looks/smells like, or any other number of factors.

Although you have a point about this, there are personality differences between males and females in general. Females ( God love us) are somewhat judgemental and vocal about it. Males, on the other hand, seem a little more laid back and don't seem as intense. That is why I think this question was asked. Correct me if I al wrong, please!

I understand your thoughts but remember and generalizations might be true when applied to a large group but in the end you will be dealing with an individual.

It's all about perspective! :)

I have more female dentists than male dentists because the dental practice I attend for checkups from my 1st checkup when I was possibly just under one up to age 31 has more females dentists there.

I struggled with every dentist I have had, even though helpful hints and bads habits to help protect my teeth better.

I like dentists who are gentle whilst giving you treatment if needed, cleanings, checking etc.

I don't want to avoid going to the dentist ever and will still carry on going, even though I have dental anxiety and phobia

i don't think male or female matters. i'll go to whoever make me feel calm and understand my fear of dentist.

I am nearly 60 and for all of my life I have had male dentists, some good and some very bad. Over the last few years I have needed a lot of treatment and for the past three years I have had the first female dentist. She is very young and tiny so I had my doubts about seeing her at first. She has proved to be one if not the best dentist I have ever had. She spends time doing proper checks and cleanings. She is a perfectionist so won't make do with anything, it all has to be perfect.

She is so nice and chatty as well, it is like going to visit a friend.

It does depend on the individual of course, so you just need to find a dentist male or female that you get along with and makes you happy with your treatment.

I've only ever had male dentists and female hygenists. I have no preference. I just want someone I can feel safe with, who understands my fears and doesn't dismiss them. Someone who will treat me as a whole person, not just a set of teeth. I need someone who will stop when I give a stop signal. Someone who can help me to feel calm during treatments.