Re: Male or female dentist?
So this issue has come up again in another thread (
https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/forum/threads/need-a-woman-dentist-in-charlotte-nc-asap.23559/ ) and I wanted to add my thoughts. This thread seems like a more appropriate place for it than on a new poster's request for help finding a dentist.
There seems to be a conflict between where some patients (legitimately IMO - will elaborate in a moment) prefer one gender over the other, but where others feel that requesting this is sexist and discriminatory (also a legitimate concern).
Here's my take on it:
Personally, I don't care if my dentist is male, female, trans, blue, purple, Martian, or anything in between. What matters - as has been rightly pointed out upthread - is the individual. I need a dentist who is kind, patient, caring and willing to work with me and meet me halfway. I will put the effort in if they will, it's a partnership. I've found such a dentist, who happens to be a man, but he could just as easily be a woman and it wouldn't make the slightest difference.
There have been a few broad gender stereotypes put forward in this thread, and TBH I'm not buying those. There is far more variation in personalities
within a particular gender than you will find between genders. There are nurturing, gentle, men and there are strong, calm, problem-solving (what some might consider "fatherly" qualities) women. In fact most people are some mix of all of the above, once you get to know them. Take home message: people are people are people. What a phobic patient needs is somebody with the right personality.
But...
But.
For some patients, it's far more complicated than that.
The thing is - as I'm sure we're all aware - dental phobia can be complex, and very individual. No two people's phobias and hangups will be exactly the same. But something we do have in common is that it is
hard, and for us there can be lots and lots of barriers to going to the dentist. Some of those are things we can do nothing about, but others might be things where with a bit of adaptation we can move that barrier aside and make it a little bit easier to take that step and go to the dentist. For some patients, seeking out a female - or male - dentist might be a way of taking away one hurdle, which could be enough to make all the difference.
The stuff that forms barriers for people can be weird, and unpredictable. I've known people who are triggered by all sorts of things due to past traumas: I know somebody who found that the layout of the room triggered traumatic memories for them, and somebody else who prefers older dentists over younger ones (also due to past trauma). Personally, I trained myself to stop interpreting my dentist growing his occasional beard as a sign that Something Terrible was about to happen (long story!)
What these things generally have in common is that they all stem from past bad experiences. In an ideal world, we would all be able to process these bad experiences and move on so that they don't affect us going to the dentist - and many people do exactly this, over time. But it's very, very hard to do, and we don't live in an ideal world. Don't underestimate how hard this stuff is! Maybe a patient might need to see a female (or male) dentist, just to make it possible for them in the meantime.
So it's far from ideal, and TBH it
is discrimination, but some people may need to discriminate to make it possible for them to go to the dentist with where they are at now. FWIW I'm not sure I like that either, but it is what it is.
TLDR: Life is complex and messy and people are complex and messy - sometimes we have to come up with imperfect but best-we-can-manage-in-the-situation solutions. Live and let live is my rule...applies in both directions!