• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Doctor remove my stitches early after extraction..

R

Rick168

Help!! I have my wisdom tooth both top and bottom removed on Monday 1pm. The bottom tooth was impacted and the doctor have to perform a surgery to remove. Afterwards, the doctor stitch my wound up with non-dissolvable stitches. On day 4, about 72 hours after the extraction, the wound still hurt and I went back to the dentist. But he removed my stitches and say it will ease the pain!!!
now I'm worried if food will go into the hole and cause infection?? Have the dentist done the right thing?? Should I visit a second dentist???

Do I need a dental syringe to flush out the wound?? Or will it dislodge the blood clot??? HELP!!

Help!! I have my wisdom tooth both top and bottom removed on Monday 1pm. The bottom tooth was impacted and the doctor have to perform a surgery to remove. Afterwards, the doctor stitch my wound up with non-dissolvable stitches. On day 4, about 72 hours after the extraction, the wound still hurt and I went back to the dentist. But he removed my stitches and say it will ease the pain!!!
now I'm worried if food will go into the hole and cause infection?? Have the dentist done the right thing?? Should I visit a second dentist???

Do I need a dental syringe to flush out the wound?? Or will it dislodge the blood clot??? HELP!!

I'm not qualified to answer this question - but going by what I've read and I had the same surgery yesterday, (impacted lower tooth and upper tooth removed on one side) - food can get in there but by day four it should be no problem to gently rinse with salt water after each time you eat.

If you just eat soft foods that will easily rinse away and rinse after each meal you should be fine. I also drink a glass of water after I eat too, just to help with the rinsing. And I think the salt water rinse is best if it's luke warm - not hot and not even too warm either.

I panicked because the doctor removed my stitches early and I don't really trust him!
Any advices??

Post impacted wisdom tooth surgery care

I got my impacted lower left wisdom tooth removed on Monday. Went back to the dentist on Thurs, 72 hrs after the surgery and he removed my stitches!! Is this a common practice? He said it will ease the pain.
Now there's a hole in my gum where the extraction took place. I'm afraid food may get in and cause infection. And does removing the stitches early given me problem in the future??
very worried.. pls help

Re: Post impacted wisdom tooth surgery care

Yep, it's perfectly OK to remove the stitches at 72 hours. You won't have any long term problems because of this. It's also very normal to have somewhat of a "hole" where the tooth came out, even if stitches were placed. This will slowly heal over in the course of the next 2-4 weeks. Rinsing gently with salt water several times a day will help keep the area clean and lessen your chance of something getting caught in there. Try not to worry about it. It sounds like everything is healing just like it should!

thank you Mr drm for your fast reply.
Would you recommend getting an irrigation syringe to flush out the debris stuck inside the hole? Would it dislodge the blood clot? It has been 96 hours after the surgery and there's still trace of blood in my saliva and pain

Using an irrigation syringe will definitely help you keep it clean. As long as you irrigate it gently you won't dislodge the blood clot especially 96 hours after surgery. The trace of blood and some pain at this point sounds perfectly normal.

Back