• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Doctor's, I appreciate any advice.

D

DanDan

I have periodontitis yet my insurance does not cover seeing a periodontist. What can I do, daily at home, to prevent the spread? I recently ordered a Gel Toothpaste with 0.12% Chlorhexidine + cetylpyridinium among other things.

However, I've seen alternative toothpastes offer aminocaproic acid as one of the main ingredients, if not the main, so is this is a better solution to compared to the above?

I rely on your expertise Doctor's to guide me to buy the correct toothpastes and mouthwashes and I'm even taking gum powder recommendations. I use a tooth and gum powder to sprinkle generously on top of my toothpaste. It contains the following: Xylitol, Sodium Bicarbonate, Supercritical Extracts of Cinnamon Bark, Cardamom Seed Oil, Neem Leaf, Neem Bark, Anise Fruit and Clove Bud and Grapeseed, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Maltodextrin, Calcium Carbonate, Sea Salt, Silica, Natural Flavor, Stevia Rebaudiana Leaf Extract, Streptococcus Salivarius K12 (Probiotics), Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D-3) Powder.

I know the future is bleak but I pray that you will respond with wisdom, and advice that can preserve my teeth for as long as possible and to fight this disease.

There are no magic pills or potions I'm afraid that will cure periodontal disease. The periodontal pockets need to be physically accessed to be treated.

Does your insurance allow you to visit a general dentist? How about a dental school which often offer discounted treatment?

There are no magic pills or potions I'm afraid that will cure periodontal disease. The periodontal pockets need to be physically accessed to be treated.

Does your insurance allow you to visit a general dentist? How about a dental school which often offer discounted treatment?

Yes, I can visit the dentist as well as dental schools. I have to come clean. I haven't officially been diagnosed with periodontitist. But based on the bleeding just from brushing, it doesn't look good. When I had my last clean up (2.5yrs ago), I asked about pockets and there were pockets but none of them big enough to warrant a diagnosis for the disease. I know you're probably screaming through the computer: "Get to a dentist!" -- Problem is, I have Agoraphobia and a fear of driving and the medical cabs the state provides will not take me to the dentist even for a regular clean-up. Weird policy. Thankfully, my mother is close by and can help. With regards to going to the dentist, I *can* do it, it's just difficult for me. On top of all this is depression and sometimes an apathetic attitude.

My main reason for making the post what to find out if there is anything I can do at home to slow the progress of the disease (if I have it). For example, I already ordered this toothpaste:

This toothpaste is composed of:
- chlorohexidine digluconate [0.12%], an antiseptic with large spectrum that removes and prevents the growth of bacteria responsible of the dental plaque.
- cetylpyridinium chloride, an anti-plaque agent that neutralizes the bacterial toxins to strengthen the chlorohexidine action.
- vitamin E, that helps fight the cell aging and maintain the gums healthy.
- aloe vera that moisturises and alleviated irritated gums.
- pro-vitamin B5 that helps revitalize the gums and keep them tonic.

Besides going to the dentist and brushing, flossing regularly -- is there anything I can do at home to help my gums?

Hi there, have a look at this page:

If you can go to a hygienist at regular intervals (they should be able to advise you), that would obviously be best.

Thank you for the advice and the link.

Back