• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Doctors question about cone beam results

A

Acheygirl

Hello again I hope and pray ? this message finds everyone here well. I know we have so much going on in the world I hate to trouble you and also understand if I don't get a response.

My Endodontist who really has been very kind and helpful have did a second Cone Beam scan as I was still having odd discomfort after two root canals. He was looking for infection and shadowing. None of which was found. He sent the scans over to a university who had their head radiologist also take look at it. Some lingo is like a foreign language to me can any one help in particular the bold portion? Images also attached.

Observations:

Teeth #9-15 are visualized

Teeth #12 and #13 are endodontically treated.

Tooth #12 demonstrades no PDL space widening. The endodontic filling material in the buccal and palatal canals extends to the radiographic apices without void. No frank root fractures are appreciated.

Tooth #13 demonstrades no PDL space widening. The endodontic filling material in the buccal and palatal canals extends to the radiographic apices without void. No frank root fractures are appreciated. There is marked invagination of the buccal surface of the buccal root extending nearly to the depth of the buccal canal. The overlying buccal cortical plate is intact.

The remaining teeth demonstrate no gross caries or periapical disease.
The Alveolar bone pattern is of normal denisity and architecture. The alveolar bone levels are normal in height.

Impressions:

Tooth #12 No periapical disease or frank root fracture is appreciated.
Tooth #13 No periapical disease or frank root fracture is appreciated. The invagination of the buccal root most probably represents a variation of normal anatomy.

Attachments

• e3.JPG
    e3.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 9
  • e1.JPG
    e1.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 9
  • E.JPG
    E.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 9
Invagination in this sense just refers to the shape, rather than being a smooth surface it sort of has a groove running down it, almost like it’s heart shaped rather than oval/round if that makes sense. The radiologist feels it’s just the way the tooth is.

You can see on the third image where the arrow’s pointing that the shape is different :)

Dr. Mike thank you! A final question for you or any of the other docs. Would this dental invagination that is mentioned interfere with the success rate of the root canal on that tooth? I still get random ache in both #12 and #13 which both had root canals. Thank you again.

Not Mike, but no, it wouldn't.

Back