• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Does this mean I have trouble getting numbed up??

T

tabatha7

A couple of years ago I had my upper wisdoms out with only local anesthetic and a little nitrous. The oral surgeon after giving me the locals put the instrument on the teeth that grabs them. I'm guessing something goes into the tooth because I felt a sensation of it snapping in but no pain. Then he started the extraction and he drilled around the roots some to help them come out. On my left side I felt no pain whatsoever... not even during the drilling. It came out pretty quickly. Then when he started on my right side.... I did not feel any pain with attaching the instrument but when he started drilling around the roots again at first I didn't feel any pain but he drilled a little longer on this one and I started feeling some pain. I waved my hand around but he did not stop. Thankfully, it didn't last too long because I just began to reach my pain threshhold. When he stopped drilling and started actually extracting the tooth again I felt no pain just some pressure. I'm not sure why I felt pain when he was drilling around the roots on the right side but it scared me especially since he did not stop. After that I had several fillings with my general dentist. My general dentist is great and very gentle. I started to notice that when he did fillings on the left side I never felt anything but when he did the fillings on the right side sometimes I would have a little more sensations... maybe like a little coldness or something. For the last filling he did I told him I was experiencing some sensation on the right side and he gave me more local anesthetic which seemed to help. That was the time I felt crossed eyed for a while afterwards. LOL I'm wondering... does this mean I have trouble numbing up on my right side? Or could it be something else?

No I don't think so. Sometimes all of us need more than 1 standard dental carpule of anesthesia.

Back