S
scaredycath
Junior member
- Joined
- Jul 12, 2008
- Messages
- 3
Hi,
Im new to this forum, just stumbled on it while looking on the internet for some help. Basically I have to have dental work done, an extraction and 2 fillings and have been trying to do it for over 2 years. the tooth that needs extracting is now really causing me problems and I HAVE to do it - but i just dont know how i will, and Im so lost and upset by my inability to do it. I have a general fear of losing control in situations, following a past history of abuse, and also bad dentist/doctor experiences. the last time i had an anesthetic i had a bad reaction to it (shaking, feeling of falling asleep, hard to breathe, throat tight) and so now Ive convinved myself im allergic to it, or that it will cause me severe distress..I also am unwell with m.e. at the moment, so i worry that my body will not be able to take the anaesthetic and that i will have a huge relapse..
Im not actually too afraid of having fillings done - i can have fillings without anaesthetic and Im nervous but can do it - but ithis time i have to have a tooth out, and alongside witht he worry of what that will be like, it's the fear of the anaesthetic that cripples me, I cant bear the feeling of numbness, and letting a substance into my body that might harm me in some way. I keep imagining myself losing control with the fear, like screaming or hitting people or my worst fear, losing my mind, and all the past coming back to haunt me in one huge terrifying crash. I know that sounds overly dramatic, but the fear and rage that comes up in me makes me really scared. I feel really depressed, vulnerable, and tiny at even the thought of going - i also hate being such an idiot in front of everyone. though they are nice, its a small village surgery where I have become a kind of eccentric character, i hate being known for being a freak..
i think it might be connected to my past abuse experiences, as when the appointment comes up i just feel really inside myself, like a tiny child, really scared to move, and scared of myself.
so what i wondered was, does anyone feel like this? i feel really alone, like my level of fear is huge and abnormal, like it makes me somehow dangerous - does anyone fear that their anxiety is dangerous? i worry that by just flooding the phobia and forcing myself to go through it that i will do myself psychological harm - does that sound ridiculous??
aargh any advice whatsoever would be so so welcome, feel very lost
i love the success stories bit on here - hope i can post there one day!
xx
Im new to this forum, just stumbled on it while looking on the internet for some help. Basically I have to have dental work done, an extraction and 2 fillings and have been trying to do it for over 2 years. the tooth that needs extracting is now really causing me problems and I HAVE to do it - but i just dont know how i will, and Im so lost and upset by my inability to do it. I have a general fear of losing control in situations, following a past history of abuse, and also bad dentist/doctor experiences. the last time i had an anesthetic i had a bad reaction to it (shaking, feeling of falling asleep, hard to breathe, throat tight) and so now Ive convinved myself im allergic to it, or that it will cause me severe distress..I also am unwell with m.e. at the moment, so i worry that my body will not be able to take the anaesthetic and that i will have a huge relapse..
Im not actually too afraid of having fillings done - i can have fillings without anaesthetic and Im nervous but can do it - but ithis time i have to have a tooth out, and alongside witht he worry of what that will be like, it's the fear of the anaesthetic that cripples me, I cant bear the feeling of numbness, and letting a substance into my body that might harm me in some way. I keep imagining myself losing control with the fear, like screaming or hitting people or my worst fear, losing my mind, and all the past coming back to haunt me in one huge terrifying crash. I know that sounds overly dramatic, but the fear and rage that comes up in me makes me really scared. I feel really depressed, vulnerable, and tiny at even the thought of going - i also hate being such an idiot in front of everyone. though they are nice, its a small village surgery where I have become a kind of eccentric character, i hate being known for being a freak..
i think it might be connected to my past abuse experiences, as when the appointment comes up i just feel really inside myself, like a tiny child, really scared to move, and scared of myself.
so what i wondered was, does anyone feel like this? i feel really alone, like my level of fear is huge and abnormal, like it makes me somehow dangerous - does anyone fear that their anxiety is dangerous? i worry that by just flooding the phobia and forcing myself to go through it that i will do myself psychological harm - does that sound ridiculous??
aargh any advice whatsoever would be so so welcome, feel very lost

i love the success stories bit on here - hope i can post there one day!
xx
here Cath! I think these are your main fears, so read the articles I've linked here. Your case is very different from me, so I don't think I can help much with your questions, but I think it's wonderful you've found this forum. This is the right place to start. I think you should now go to Find a dentist and look for recommended dentists in your area. Now you've posted, it's best you start looking for the right dentist now and not later, because now you've already started thinking about it and wanting help. Don't stop now, go on and one day not in so distant future you WILL be in the success story section. We are here for you!

