• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

don't know what to do anymore :'(

Not a clue until I get there. Will report back what they say. Cant wait to get it out the way.

Feels very stupid to admit im scared of the dentists I can tell you :(

Well you are in very good company:).
I hope it goes ok. I would recommend taking someone with you though. They could maybe speak up for you if you can't.
Let us know how you get on :)

Well they xrayed my front tooth (as I said that one hurt the most) and said that the tooth was fine. (same as back ones... which I had checked on my previous visit)

I explained I had bought an electric toothbrush that was supposed to make your teeth whiter and she wondered if I had taken the enamel off, hence the pain?

Anyway she put some yellow stuff on the front tooth, and prescribed me Duraphat toothpaste. Anyone used this? Hope it works...

She said to try it for a week and see what happens. She did say that sometimes you cant see nerve damage on an xray, and if the pain doesnt go away, she would have to drill..... (I stopped her there, so not sure what the rest of that story was)

Well you are in very good company:).
I hope it goes ok. I would recommend taking someone with you though. They could maybe speak up for you if you can't.
Let us know how you get on :)

Know one to go with sadly.

Well done for going, bet you're glad you did. is the toothpaste to reduce the sensitivity ? and what was the yellow stuff for ?

Yeh and no. Im glad I went because I got something prescribed, but Im not as Im scared Ill have to go back for "work"

Not sure what the yellow stuff was. She said it was like the toothpaste but a "dentist" one that they paint on to your tooth. It washes off though so think it was just a temp thing until I got the toothpaste. Cant say 100% what its for, I assume its to rebuild the enamel?

If not, I have no clue to what its for. On the box it says "Treatment and prevention of dental caries" but I dont have tooth decay so how its supposed to help with the pain... :confused:

She said it should stop hurting in a week, unless it is actually nerve damage that didnt show on the xray in which case I have to go back :(

Molars are bad enough, but front one hurts when I speak and air passes over the tooth rather than "on and off"

*Fingers crossed for the toothpaste*

Thats interesting, lets hope toothpaste works.wonder what the yellow stuff was for, did it help your teeth ?

Not sure what the yellow stuff was. She said it was like the toothpaste but a "dentist" one that they paint on to your tooth. It washes off though so think it was just a temp thing until I got the toothpaste. Cant say 100% what its for, I assume its to rebuild the enamel?

Did it taste strange... a bit similar to banana flavour (but not as nice as bananas)? It sounds as though it could be a fluoride varnish called Duraphat. It's a high concentrate form of fluoride that's used to help tooth sensitivity as well as re-mineralising the tooth. I've had it a few times and it tastes yucky :sick: !! Duraphat also comes as a high fluoride toothpaste which thankfully doesn't taste like the varnish, it tastes of mint, but you can only buy it from your dentist (it's available on prescription only here in the UK - so you can only get it from your dentist or on prescription from your doctor).

Did it taste strange... a bit similar to banana flavour (but not as nice as bananas)? It sounds as though it could be a fluoride varnish called Duraphat. It's a high concentrate form of fluoride that's used to help tooth sensitivity as well as re-mineralising the tooth. I've had it a few times and it tastes yucky :sick: !! Duraphat also comes as a high fluoride toothpaste which thankfully doesn't taste like the varnish, it tastes of mint, but you can only buy it from your dentist (it's available on prescription only here in the UK - so you can only get it from your dentist or on prescription from your doctor).

Thats the stuff!

Ive been doing some reading online, and have managed to depress myself :(

TBF I didnt know much about enamel etc etc. Seems my new toothbrush which had a polishing tip can take enamel off, causing pain, and enamel never grows back :cry:

My 2 front teeth had a slight coffee stain, and about 5 weeks ago I bought an electric toothbrush to get rid of it. I held it on the front 2 teeth for a min or so to get rid of the stain... A month later, my 2 front teeth are hurting so much it makes the pain from the molars seem childs play (its really not)

Im not one for regretting things in life, up till now. Ive managed to give myself permanent toothache, and am dreading having to go back if this flurodide toothpaste doesnt do anything :(

Has anyone ever used high % fluoride toothpaste? Did it do much? Reading on google would suggest its down to your genes so is just a case of hoping.

I wish I had a tub of that yellow stuff they gave me, Would happily paste my front teeth with it as its worn off and the pain is back to mega :(

P.S. This isnt like sensitve pain ive had in the past from ice cream etc, my 2 front teeth hurt non stop, and if I talk.... well its got to the point where I speak with a bit of a lisp bec air going over my two front teeth cause excessive pain

P.P.S I also have that Duraphat as of today, and am preying it works though I think her target of "1 week and we will know" was a bit optimistic.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever used high % fluoride toothpaste? Did it do much? Reading on google would suggest its down to your genes so is just a case of hoping.

I wish I had a tub of that yellow stuff they gave me, Would happily paste my front teeth with it as its worn off and the pain is back to mega :(

I've been using Duraphat toothpaste for a few years now as every single dentist I've seen has told me that it will help remineralise my teeth and should help with the sensitivity. I also have the disgusting tasting varnish applied to my lower teeth at the back as they are very worn down due to years of acid reflux (they're very worn and almost down to the nerve in places).

I've always been told to use Duraphat rather than ordinary toothpaste as it will help with the pain, but I have to say that after experimenting with various combinations of toothpastes and mouthwashes, I don't think that it relieves any of my tooth pain at all, however I do continue to use it as that's what I've been told to do.

I find that what does help (in addition to brushing twice a day with the Duraphat), is to rub Sensodyne (the 'Rapid Relief' one works best for me) into my teeth at night, after cleaning my teeth with the Duraphat and just before going to bed.

As far as I've always been told, the effects of the Duraphat varnish last for a few days and that it takes 2 to 3 weeks before you see any benefit from the toothpaste. Keep up with the brushing, but maybe consider swapping to a softer toothbrush if you're removing the enamel.

I've been using Duraphat toothpaste for a few years now

Oh boy....

I don't think that it relieves any of my tooth pain at all, however I do continue to use it as that's what I've been told to do.

:(

I find that what does help (in addition to brushing twice a day with the Duraphat), is to rub Sensodyne (the 'Rapid Relief' one works best for me) into my teeth at night, after cleaning my teeth with the Duraphat and just before going to bed.

Ive tried that, it didnt help. That yellow stuff did and is the first to do so.

As far as I've always been told, the effects of the Duraphat varnish last for a few days and that it takes 2 to 3 weeks before you see any benefit from the toothpaste

Thats pointless? If its £7.40 for one tube.... thats expensive cleaning for something that wont even last long unless used daily in which case you need a repeat prescription?

Ive got rid of the stupid orab B electric brush with its polishing plate. Ill never regret anything as much as using that stupid thing :(

She said if the pain was still there in a week, something about drilling.... (I stopped her mid conversation so not sure what the rest was, though assume it was for a crown at an educated guess and read up on google)

Its always one problem to the next. My molars hurt which is bad enough, but my front ones..... hurt non stop and make me sound like someone with a speech problem now :cry:

Thats pointless? If its £7.40 for one tube.... thats expensive cleaning for something that wont even last long unless used daily in which case you need a repeat prescription?

It's only actually £5 a tube as I buy it from the dentist. Technically Duraphat toothpaste is a prescription medication, which means that it can't be sold over the counter like normal toothpastes. Because of this, you can either buy it from your dentist (the price depends on what they choose to charge) and you won't need a prescription because they're selling it to you direct, or (in theory) your GP could write a prescription for it and you could get it at a pharmacy in the normal way, in which case it would cost £7.40 a tube.

I think it works for some people and maybe not for others (or maybe my teeth are just too far gone :( ), so the best thing would be to try it and see how it works for you.

Try not to worry yourself too much by reading up on google about what might happen. Although you stopped your dentist in the middle of telling you what might need to be done, you'll only really know for sure if you let them tell you. If you don't feel able to cope with it all at once, you could always ask them to break it to you gently or in smaller bits. Many dentists are quite skilled at this... When I was told I had to have a root canal last year, my dentist made it sound like it was nothing out of the ordinary and that it was just like a filling except a bit deeper (and I hate to admit it, but he was right :p).

Try not to worry yourself too much by reading up on google about what might happen. Although you stopped your dentist in the middle of telling you what might need to be done, you'll only really know for sure if you let them tell you. If you don't feel able to cope with it all at once, you could always ask them to break it to you gently or in smaller bits. Many dentists are quite skilled at this... When I was told I had to have a root canal last year, my dentist made it sound like it was nothing out of the ordinary and that it was just like a filling except a bit deeper (and I hate to admit it, but he was right :p).

Thats easier said than done. I really am quite bad with dentists, even the thought of it can make me pass out. Plus I get so terrified that they will do one thing, yet the problem will still exist in other teeth etc. All I want is no damn toothache, from none of the teeth. Why is that soooo much to ask in todays day and age :(

As usual, Im grateful for all replies, even if I dont show it at times.

P.S. Are all your teeth sensitive or do you have some like me that hurt non stop?

My teeth used to be perfect until I had a few months of really bad and constant acid reflux which was caused by food poisoning whilst I was on holiday. The reflux basically took the enamel off the biting surfaces of all my back teeth, but the front ones were pretty much OK. It never used to be too bad, just sensitive to cold drinks etc, but over the years, because I have no enamel left on my back teeth (I do have enamel around the sides of the teeth, but not on the biting surfaces), the middle of them is gradually disintegrating and getting closer to the nerve. Eating is painful, so I'm on a soft diet and anything other than warm or room temperature drinks is also off the menu. Sometimes, the back teeth are also painful for no reason whatsoever, even when I'm not eating.

Although I've had a few fillings and a root canal, my dentist wasn't really sure what to do next and so he referred me to the dental hospital. I had the appointment 3 weeks ago and then had an appointment with my dentist a couple of weeks later (last week). They said that I basically need a load of fillings and a new mouthguard to wear at night and so are supposed to be writing to my dentist to tell him what he needs to do. As of last week, he still hasn't received the letter from them, so my treatment can't begin until he receives it. I get the impression that it could be weeks.

I am absolutely horrendous when going to the dentist - even though my dentist is totally lovely and has never done anything to upset me (it's all a result of past experiences). I used to throw up down the drain on the road outside before going in (and sometimes afterwards as well). A few years ago, I passed out in the chair when my dentist at the time told me that I would need a filling. The next thing I saw was the syringe and that was it, I was out like a light! When I was younger, I actually ran out of an appointment and never went back (this was followed by several years of dentist dodging!). I have also in more recent years, also attempted to do a runner in the middle of an appointment several times. The furthest I've managed to get since is the door to the treatment room - I actually have quite a nifty little manoeuvre for slithering off the chair and over to the door in one slick movement! Fortunately, the dentists have always been really good about it and have usually managed to coax me back into the chair. :p So you could say that I'm not exactly thrilled when I'm at the dentist.

The thing is though, that even if you feel like you're making an absolute **** of yourself, they have usually seen it all before, so whatever happens, you always have options and choices. I know it seems like ages having to wait, but it sounds as though they're trying less invasive options (the toothpaste and varnish) first to see if that will work, rather than just launching straight in and doing a load of fillings. I had the same - although I've had sensitivity and pain for a few years now, it's only over the last couple of years that I've really started having fillings and more extensive treatment.

Thanks for the reply :) Not sure how you put up with it if im honest after reading about your experiences.

I've had bad experiences in the past too, infact ive had teeth pulled out that didnt need to be taken out! (Long story that one)

I used to just visit our Emergency dentists and then one day my mates mum suggested her dentist. I had to wait 2mths to get the original appointment, and have been there twice now and have to admit the women I see, is lovely, BUT, it doesnt seem to help me that much in terms of nerves, fear etc.

Im so terrible when im actually there, i feel really bad that I act in that way, but I honestly cant help it. When I was younger I used to just pass out (not faint) for no reason. I had several tests done at hospital inc ECG's but they could never work out what the problem was. Now, it happens once in a blue moon, but surprisingly, if I go to the dentist and a needle/drill comes out (or sometimes just talks of doing work) I start to sweat, get really dizzy, cant see properly, and can feel myself going to pass out :(

Whats even more stupid is I can do the above ^^ If i just "think" about something to much in terms of dental work.

I saw a picture on Google of Dental implants the other week and nearly had a panic attack, whats that about :(

I cant believe you have had the pain for so long and its still on-going. Not sure how you cope with that as I find the pain (esp from the front teeth as it hurts when breathing) can make me, not depressed, but not the happy person I would normally be.

I wish I had listened to what she was going to say yesterday in regards to the drill :cry:

After googling, I found a procedure where they take 0.5mm enamel off and cement something to your tooth but there was no drilling involved so assume she didnt mean that. Most procedures I read about online say that its irreversible, and for me thats a worry in itself. What happens if they think its one thing and it turns out to be something else, i.e. I still have the pain afterwards?

Ive learned over the years to put up with certain dental pains and find that from the back teeth (no disrespect to you at all as I know its different for everyone) that its easier for me to cope with. Ever since the front ones have started hurting I honestly cant see a positive outcome as theyre not going to cap every tooth etc?

I always keep thinking im on a countdown to having all my teeth removed and having implants, though the thought of that alone makes me sick.

Im so gutted I bought a toothbrush which has made my teeth hurt to hell. I know its prob in the small print somewhere, though regret is a horrible thing if you wasnt aware in the first place.

It also frustrates me that if you break your hip (i did so in a hit and run) it will heal on its own without surgery etc, but should you ever be unfortunate enough to get severe toothache (to the point, even when scared, you'll go to the dentists) your stuffed as you have to go in and get what I can only describe as legal torture.

Thing is, my new dentists who Ive had to wait 2mths to go and see.. Dont do GA IIRC, so if I do have to go back....... :cry:

Sorry for rambling on.

Only read a bit of the first post your dentist could get it on prescription maybe on repeat prescription too.

Dave.:)

I cant believe you have had the pain for so long and its still on-going. Not sure how you cope with that as I find the pain (esp from the front teeth as it hurts when breathing) can make me, not depressed, but not the happy person I would normally be.

I can't believe I've had the pain for so long either, but then again until a few years ago, I also a had string of inexperienced, disinterested and newly qualified NHS dentists, so that might explain some of it. I've more or less got used to it now as it's been going on for so long and have found that my pain tolerance has increased quite a lot as a result - I do take painkillers when it gets too bad (not a great idea to be taking them long term though). A soft diet does help to reduce some of the pain as well.

After googling, I found a procedure where they take 0.5mm enamel off and cement something to your tooth but there was no drilling involved so assume she didnt mean that. Most procedures I read about online say that its irreversible, and for me thats a worry in itself. What happens if they think its one thing and it turns out to be something else, i.e. I still have the pain afterwards?

The thing is, until you find out whether the toothpaste works and also see what your dentist says, you won't know what does or doesn't need to be done. The internet is full of all sorts of information, a lot of which might sound scary, but most of it probably won't apply to your particular situation - only your dentist can tell you for sure. I used to wind myself up by trying to self diagnose on the internet and all it did was to make me even more terrified about the 'What ifs'. It's far better to wait and see what your dentist says first, then you can look it up on the internet if you need to (although thankfully my dentist is pretty good at explaining things without me having to ask, so I don't usually feel the need to look it up).

Thing is, my new dentists who Ive had to wait 2mths to go and see.. Dont do GA IIRC, so if I do have to go back....... :cry:

It depends on what treatment you need - if any. You might find that once you know what it involves, you'll feel more confident and able to cope with it. It's easy to just think that you're not able to cope with things, but in reality, the only way to know whether you'll actually be able to cope, is to test it and see what happens.

Up until late last year, the only thing I'd had done was fillings and Duraphat varnish on my teeth. Then things got worse in one of my teeth and so I ended up having it dressed in preparation for a root canal a few weeks later. I was then told that my dentist was leaving the following week and that the root canal would be with his replacement. I don't know what was worse; being told that I had to have a root canal (the horrendous thing that everyone dreads) or being told that it would be a new dentist who I'd never met before (and who could be totally awful, evil, mean, rough etc etc) doing it.

I had to wait about 5 weeks for the appointment and during that time, I cried most days because I really couldn't see how I was going to get through it at all. The day of the appointment came and the only way that I could get through the door (after taking a hefty dose of beta blockers to calm the adrenaline rush), was to tell myself that I would cope with it in 30 second chunks. If at any point I couldn't cope with it and the dentist refused to stop, that was it, I was leaving. I knew that I could cope with having a filling, so this was kind of the next step.

Now that I've had a root canal, I know that I can cope with it. It might make me panic and get stressed out (or it might not sometimes), but as long as nothing bad happens and the dentist doesn't mind me stressing out, then I know I will get through it. So anything less than a root canal, I know that I can cope with and anything more (like extractions), well I'll have to deal with if it comes to it.

Rather than worrying about whether they do GA (these aren't available in dental surgeries any more - only in hospital), maybe find out first what needs to be done and then perhaps you can work out a plan with your dentist of how you're going to deal with it.

Im just struggling to see an outcome as the pain just seems to get worse not better :(

First it was the molars, then it was the molars and one front tooth. Now the whole left side of my face hurts, every single tooth. Something doesnt seem right as if its sensitivity, why just one side of my face?

Its hard to psych myself up to go to the dentists and get work done when its planned for just one tooth. When its several... It really can be difficult to see a way out.

Your certainly braver than me.

And someone earlier said you could get GA? I thought it was just Gas you couldnt get? :cry:

Last edited:
You can get GA in UK in hospitals only.
You need someone experienced/specialised to evaluate your current pain levels. Sinus pain can mimic toothache for instance. Just because teeth are hurting doesn't mean all your teeth are in need of care, it could be a single tooth referring pain to the same or another part of the mouth.
It's not as straightforward as where you think the pain is, is where the problem is.

You can get GA in UK in hospitals only.
You need someone experienced/specialised to evaluate your current pain levels. Sinus pain can mimic toothache for instance. Just because teeth are hurting doesn't mean all your teeth are in need of care, it could be a single tooth referring pain to the same or another part of the mouth.
It's not as straightforward as where you think the pain is, is where the problem is.

Erm... How do I find someone specialised to tell me what the problem is? Am i going to the wrong type of dentists? :confused:

Back