• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dreading seeing a dentist this week

S

Suzi77

I'm aged 60. Last saw a dentist over 5 years ago. Was told I needed a lower back tooth extracting. Didn't go back. Have kept the tooth until now. Last night a piece of filling came out and now the outside of the tooth is loose. I know I have to get the tooth removed this week but I am petrified. Is it possible to be completely knocked out to have it done rather than just sedated? Also, heard some terrifying stories about dentists having to really yank out back teeth. So scared.... please help.

I'm aged 60. Last saw a dentist over 5 years ago. Was told I needed a lower back tooth extracting. Didn't go back. Have kept the tooth until now. Last night a piece of filling came out and now the outside of the tooth is loose. I know I have to get the tooth removed this week but I am petrified. Is it possible to be completely knocked out to have it done rather than just sedated? Also, heard some terrifying stories about dentists having to really yank out back teeth. So scared.... please help.

Most dentists aren't equipped to do a general anaesthetic, so they would need to refer you to hospital if you wanted to be completely knocked out. That would probably be a good wait if you're in the UK and need NHS treatment.

I had a lower back tooth extracted last summer after a failed root canal. I won't lie, I found it quite distressing - mine was a "difficult extraction" and the dentist ended up having to section it into bits to get it out. However, from arriving in the surgery to leaving minus the tooth, including the numbing part, it took less than 30 minutes, and that was with me having to raise my hand and stop for a break in the middle. I went to the hairdresser a couple of hours later, and out for dinner the following night. The anticipation of it is probably the worst bit.

This probably sounds ridiculous, but I brought a soft toy with me and held that in my hands so I had something to fidget with. The dental nurse also held my hand through the worst bits, including the anaesthetic. By that point I'd been back and forth so many times with the stupid tooth that I really just wanted it gone, which probably helped! My dentist knew I was really nervous, so she was very kind and patient.

Good luck.

Suzi,

How are you doing with this tooth? Were you able to make an appt and have a dentist take a look and give you options ? I hope you are doing ok ...

Hi, thanks for your response. Still got the tooth, but only half of it left now: the loose half came out last night when I was brushing. I'm going to start by seeing my GP on Monday. Thanks again.

Back