• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dry socket pain

M

motorsportgirli

Afternon All this is my first post on here but have found it a valuable resource in the past year!

After having a major fear, i have managed to over come this with 3 root canals, 3 fillings on my front teeth and 3 extractions

However this last extraction was very difficult and took 25 minutes. Within a couple of days i was in agony. I had the tooth out on weds the 4th and i went to the dentist yesterday (10 november) as i couldnt sleep due to the pain. My normal dentist wouldnt see me as they only had one appointment and i ended up going to an access centre where they packed the socket with something as diagnosed dry socket and also told me that when whoever had extracted my tooth they had cut the gum. I wasnt told this by the dentist.

Any way i ramble on (probably due to the amount of painkillers im popping!!) My question is how long could this last? I have an appointment with my dentist on friday, would it be best getting this sorted before continuing any treatment? (im actually looking for another dentist as ive had a series of problems with this one!)

Hi,

Yup those dry sockets really hurt. They get you down as they often drag on for a couple of weeks. Normally the socket is protected by a blood clot and this promotes healing. If that blood clot breaks down the the empty socket becomes filled with food and debris and the lining of the socket dies (we call it necrotic). This all slows the healing down.

It would greatly help you if your dentist packs the socket with a special medication. This will need to be changed every couple of days until it starts to heal. In the meantime keep taking the painkillers and rinse the area with hot salt water several times a day.

I do not think a cut in the gum would have had any bearing on the situation, it may even have been deliberate to help extract the tooth.

I am suprised that you are being made to wait until friday. It will resolve but as I said before may take a good two weeks.

Hi thanks for the advice, makes me see a light at the end of the tunnel :thumbsup:

my dental surgery has been less than helpful to me with the treatment ive recieved. Basically the tooth i have had out has been filled 4 times, and they never did a root canal, it became infected and basically to have it out was the best option. Along with a few other things thats have happened there i shall be seeking another dental practice after friday!

Back