• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dull sensatioin in single tooth

T

twofacetoo

I can't be the first person to admit I don't clean my teeth as often as I should. It's not a good thing or anything to be proud of, but I'm pretty sure not even qualified dentists take every precaution they advise their patients on taking.
The reason I'm saying this is because very recently I became aware of a strange sensation in my bottom right-most incisor. The sensation isn't painful, it's just a sort of awareness of that tooth. It's very hard to describe. The best I can say is that it's like having someone hug you. You're very aware that they're there. The same for my tooth. It doesn't hurt, it's just kind of there, with this sensation reminding me of it.
So I worried about this at first and checked online for symptoms. I'm pretty sure I don't have toothache, and my friend (who has indeed had toothache before) even agreed that what I have sounds nothing like what she went through. I considered it might be infected, but again the symptoms don't really match. I don't have any issues with hot or cold, I can eat perfectly fine without any bother. If anything, eating makes the sensation go away temporarily (which isn't good since I'm trying to lose weight).
The first time I had this feeling it was all along the right side of my bottom jaw, a kind of dull numbness. Now it seems localised to just one tooth, but almost as if my body is intending to spite me it sometimes feels the same in the right-most incisor on my top jaw, but far less often than on the bottom.
So I'm mostly making this post just to see if anyone has any information they could provide. Once more with feeling, this doesn't hurt. It's not a problem, it's just a strange, odd, utterly unusual experience, and being the curious cat that I am I want to get to the bottom of it. If nobody knows, then that's fair. It'll probably go away again and I may just forget all about it. As said, I'm only here out of curiosity.

To me, it sounds like you're describing a type of pressure - not necessarily painful, but making you aware that it is there. It could be an infected tooth (I have one right now that has zero pain, but showed up on an x-ray) or it could something as simple as needing a filling and this is just how your body is interpreting that feeling. As far as feeling the pain in one place and then feeling it somewhere else, that's called Referred Pain.

Best advice I can give you is to go and see a dentist now before the dull ache does turn into a toothache (Trust me - that's one of the most unpleasant feelings a person can ever have).

So I did a spot of research and it seems I'm suffering from 'non-odontogenic pain', which can be summed up as pain in the mouth, face and teeth, which doesn't actually have anything to do with the mouth, face or teeth.

Back