• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Embarrassed for dentist to see my mouth (root canal that was never crowned)

Ihatedentistss

Ihatedentistss

Hi,

I’ve been a member for a long time. Had a bunch of work done years ago and sort of got over my phobia during that time because I was constantly in “the chair”.

However, I had a root canal done in 2014? but it never had a crown placed on it. The temporary filling came out but was replaced at a dental visit. The filling naturally came out over time again and the tooth also broke off on one side (also broke off where it meets another tooth). I can see down into the tooth and it looks so gross. I know I’m going to be judged even if nothing is said out loud and I just feel so humiliated already. I’m scared that tooth can’t be saved now (there’s still tooth but 6 years is a long time) and I’m very upset over the thought of losing it and/or it being reinfected. I’m truly gutted over this. The root canal was paid for by my dad when I was a teenager and I never had the money to get the crown myself (still don’t).

I’ve also got all four wisdom teeth that still need to come out (impacted sideways). I was told they had to come out when I was a teenager but I’ve just been dealing with them all this time. The wisdom tooth on the bottom right somehow managed to emerge a little and I’ve been pretty sure it’s infected for a long time. Super swollen and an odor. It’s always giving me pain and headaches but no money to get it out at the moment. It’s the main reason for the visit (sort of). I’ve got two canker sores near it and it’s been super painful the last few days trying to eat/talk and my cheek is swollen so whenever I fall asleep I wake up biting my cheek. I can’t tell what is causing my pain between the canker sores and everything else. The pain basically jumps around.

Something is going on with both of my canine teeth also. One has a hole behind it (it splintered a long time ago and I pulled the broken fragment off and I guess it somehow turned into a cavity). The other one is farther up in my gum than it should be (as a kid the tooth grew over a baby tooth that needed to be snatched out, hence why it grew through my gum) and it looks like somehow I’ve started getting a cavity UNDER the gum... this same tooth actually had a filling done to it back in 2014/2015. I WANT this tooth (just this tooth) moved down to where it should be, but I don’t even know if that’s possible?

I’m just in a bad mood all around and keep crying. I don’t enjoy dental work and it still scares me some but I’m honestly way more upset at not having the money to get the work done (and no one wants to go to a dentist during covid especially). I feel like I can’t handle all this. My entire life is a mess and I literally and figuratively can’t afford to be dealing with this.

I don’t even know what I’m asking for? I guess I just want some encouragement? My mouth looks so disgusting right now— especially that root canal tooth— and I just want to curl into a ball and give up. I have the worst luck with dentists and snotty dental assistants and I’m probably going to burst into tears today while sitting in the chair but oh well. What else is there to do? On top of that I feel like I’m going to catch covid because of this and end up bringing it home to my family.

I feel sick (to my stomach). I just want relief but I can’t afford relief, you know? I feel stupid even writing here but I’m SO embarrassed by that root canal tooth. Again...completely humiliated. I’m also so scared I’m going to be told that it’s reinfected and can’t be saved, that’s it’s too weak for a crown.. I just feel stupid all around.

If you read all the way to the end of this then thanks. I know it’s long and boring but I’m really at a low point. I feel like I’m at the end of the world. So thanks for taking time out of your evening/day to read this because I’m really alone right now.

I understand everything that your saying.
im at the same point - my mouth is a literal shit show, I just want to curl up into aball and disappear not have to deal with any of this shit but I don’t think that’s an option.
I have an appointment at a dentist soon and I hope that some treatment plan will be made and also that could be with a payment plan.

I understand everything that your saying.
im at the same point - my mouth is a literal shit show, I just want to curl up into aball and disappear not have to deal with any of this shit but I don’t think that’s an option.
I have an appointment at a dentist soon and I hope that some treatment plan will be made and also that could be with a payment plan.

I actually saw your post and replied. I definitely related to it. I’m in agreement about curling up ? but I, too, think it’s not an option. I guess we’ll just have to forge ahead. I hope your appointment goes well!

I hope so too! For now I’ve just gotta try and get through this!

As to the rct without a crown I want to say that every dentist has seen this before. It is not rare at all.

Is there an update?

The first root canal I had done on my tooth was never crowned in 2006, the re-root canal was never done my my current dentist, but she to do it now since I have cracked this tooth,

Back