• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Endless dental probems... Root canals and crowns, Help?

D

duplo

As a child I never had cavities. However as a young adult I did not have dental insurance for a stretch of time and I developed cavities in nearly every single tooth. I went to see four different dentists to confirm because I myself couldn't believe that I had so many dental problems. I started fixing these problems about 2 years ago and still trying to pay for it all...

I have had 3 root canals completed, but none have crowns. One has a temporary crown (that feels too large, and keeps getting part of my mouth trapped on it-- I've already bitten the inside of my mouth three times since getting it two days ago) (Is that normal?!)
The other two have both chipped, one with only about 1/3 of the tooth remaining, and I'm afraid that if I wait longer, I will end up losing the teeth entirely.
All root canals are on the furthest back molars.
I'm supposed to get another temporary crown next week that will have to last 4 months while I go abroad, and the first temporary crowned tooth will get a permanent crown. As for the third one, nothing I can do about it, there is no time.

Both of my front teeth have had cavities filled, then refilled... a total of 4 times, so the fillings are quite large. My dentist told me the front left tooth (#9 I believe) has died and needs a root canal. However, the front RIGHT tooth is causing me a lot of pain. I can't drink water that is colder than room temperature, any drinks with sugar (juice), or anything that is hot such as noodles, soup, or hot beverages without a lot of pain. The dentist said that there is no decay in that tooth any more, but because the filling is so large, and because of my age (early 20s) my nerve is large, so that is the source of the pain.

I can understand why I would need the root canal on the front left tooth, but what I realy want to do is stop the pain in the front right tooth. In my situation (no decay, just a large filling close to the nerve) is there really no way to stop the pain on the front right tooth?
Also, if I can only afford EITHER the crown OR the root canal, I would like to do the most important procedure.
Over the past 2 years I've spent thousands of dollars and countless hours trying to get all of my teeth repaired and finding out that I need a FOURTH root canal, AND even after the procedure, I still won't be able to use my front tooth, is heartbreaking.

On top of all that, I leave the country next Friday, so my time is very short. I am going to a developing country-- I will be in the wealthiest part of that country, so there might be adequate dental facilities, but in general that country does not have the nearly the same standard of dentistry as the United States. I need to decide very soon what to do with regards to the crowns and the root canal(s?), but I just feel overwhelmed by the amount of work that needs to be done.

I brush after every meal, floss at least 1x a day, don't brush immediately after acidic drinks/foods, don't even drink soda or coffee... My friends think I'm a fanatic of dental hygiene for carrying floss with me into restaurants and etc. Yet I have all these cavities that get worse and worse, and I haven't been completely without dental pain for years now. Just don't understand why I have so many dental problems:cry:

In short
1) If a front tooth has a large filling, currently no decay, but the nerve is quite sensitive, what can I do to stop the pain/sensitivity to cold and heat?
2) Which is more important, a root canal on a tooth with no pain but a dead nerve, or a crown on a tooth that has already had root canal therapy several months ago?
3) Besides brushing and flossing regularly and avoiding sugary food and drinks, what can I do to prevent future dental problems?

Appreciate any advice

Last edited:
!st of all, I really feel your pain. Have been going through the same stuff as you...without insurance and without a job for the last 2 years. PlusI have majoe dental anxiety. I will try to give you my opinion based on what I have been through.

In short
1) If a front tooth has a large filling, currently no decay, but the nerve is quite sensitive, what can I do to stop the pain/sensitivity to cold and heat?

Probobly a root canal??
2) Which is more important, a root canal on a tooth with no pain but a dead nerve, or a crown on a tooth that has already had root canal therapy several months ago?

I would get the crown on the root canal you already had. You already spent the money on the root canal and if you do not get the crown you may lose the tooth. This has happened to me.

3) Besides brushing and flossing regularly and avoiding sugary food and drinks, what can I do to prevent future dental problems?

Let me know when you find out.Never had a cavity till I was 25 and now I have lost half my teeth.My dentist did mention something about a high acid contact due to some stomach problems I have????

Hang in there!!

MB

Just learned I need another root canal.
What can I do to end this pain? Somebody please reply.

I can't really answer your first two questions, but I've been here for a long time, and I think I can answer your third question because I have similar problems. I haven't had any root canals yet; however, I've had several permanent crowns, and the dentist recently informed me that ALL of my molars are fractured to some degree and will need to be crowned so they don't fracture. :(

You may have a habit of grinding your teeth in your sleep. I don't know if I do or not, but the dentist says my teeth have telltale signs of grinder's damage, so I'll have to take his word for it. Anyhow, go to your local pharmacy, and ask them if they sell 'dental night protectors'. Basically, they are packaged several to a box, and it is a small rubber retainer you can wear when you sleep. The retainer prevents your molars from touching. This will prevent further wear and tear on your molars! The only drawback is drool, but you can put a towel on your pillow if that happens. Try it out, and good luck!

i am sorry to hear this. i too most likely have cavities in every tooth. i hope you get well

If you are grinding, your dentist can make you a custom fit mouthguard to take away.

What does your dentist advise for the front tooth sensitivity, is it just bogstandard sensitivity which can be relieved with use of special toothpastes - particularly leaving them on overnight and not rinsing?

If you do not want to do the crown just yet on the rct'd tooth, get your dentist to take it 'out of bite' if he hasn't already done so, this reduces the forces on it in the meantime.

The tooth with the dead nerve will eventually abscess but it could take a long time before it does.

I would advise you to find the best dentist available in your new location as soon as you arrive so that you have options in the event of problems arising.

If you have any doubts about your current dentist's recommendations, get a second opinion.
Dry mouth caused by some medications can lead to rapid tooth decay. General advice on these links:
https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/faq/tooth-decay/
https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/faq/acid-erosion/
https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/faq/sensitive-teeth/ - are you brushing too much and too aggressively?

Last edited:
Back