• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

External abcess?

P

Phil_

Well, over the past few weeks I've had a 'growth' on the side of my face. I've been on anti biotics, had it lanced (twice now) but it just keeps coming back. I have a strong feeling this is teeth related as around the same area in my mouth there is a fractured tooth. I've been meaning to get this sorted but I have quite the phobia of dentists. So I'd just like to know the severity of this before I raise the courage to get it sorted.

[broken link to image removed]

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a dental abscess which is most likely coming from your broken tooth.

Get the tooth taken care of as soon as you possibly can. The problem is, if you leave it too long, then you'll need some plastic surgery to take care of the wound in your face. I've seen it happen before, but it normally takes a few months for the plastic surgery to be required.

I see. Problem is though, the tooth has pretty much broken down to my gum so I don't think a simple pull would do the job. What kind of procedure would be needed to remove the tooth?

I see. Problem is though, the tooth has pretty much broken down to my gum so I don't think a simple pull would do the job. What kind of procedure would be needed to remove the tooth?

Hi Phil,

I thinks Gordon's advice is spot on. Of course it is difficult to predict how difficult it will be to remove the tooth. Sometimes a few seconds wiggling and sometimes the tooth has to be divided up and removed in pieces over say 20 minutes.
I could not really guess without seeing an x-ray. One good thing in your favour is that longstanding infections like yours often soften the bone around the tooth making even the most broken down teeth easy to remove!

Good luck

Welll, I plucked up the courage today and went for my dentist appointment.
Everything was going alright until I went back in after my x ray to see the majority of the dentists in the building in that room..They looked at me in awe, as my situation isn't a common one. (it's always me that seems to impress people in the worst possible situations :p) Anyway, they proceeded to discuss and poke around my mouth. They came to the decision that the best plan of action was to pull out my right molars on my jaw, something I thought would eventually happen but sure as hell not in the same day, so I freaked out a little bit.
But yeah, long story short...Pretty painless (the most pain came from the injections) Spent all afternoon spitting blood, hopefully it'll stop soon.

I'm on anti biotics now, going back tomorrow for a quick appointment so he can see how my swelling is doing etc etc, but hopefully this'll be the end of it! :thumbsup:

I'd just like to thank everyone who gave advice in this topic, without that I'd have probably left it. :cheers:

Well done! You were so super brave! I hope everything will go well from now on!

Well done both for getting it done so quickly and for posting an update for us all.

Good job Phil. It takes guts to confront your fears.
I am very grateful that you took the time to update us. It made my day to hear that my posting my have partly contributed to a postive outcome for you. :)

Back