• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extraction. Immediate partial

S

SallyUK

Hi, I’ve asked previously about this and understand the partial will go someway to protecting the extraction site.

I am just wondering about this. The partial will go in straight away. How do I bite to stop the bleeding, dentist says they will keep me at the surgery while this stops. After that what would I do if more bleeding? Take the partial out? Would I need to take it in and out after eating and clean the area?

I’m worried about managing all this, I’m not great with medical stuff, or the idea of pulling a denture out (massive fear of not being able to and panicking) and keeping the area clean and heal well. It’s an upper canine and my dentist thinks the extraction will be simple, it’s somewhat loose, a post and crown and possible root fracture (does that herald any possible completion?)

I’m feeling less scared, more accepting and just getting prepared. Want to avoid dry socket and adjust to the partial ASAP. Thank you

Hi Sally,

here some of my knowledge / experience until a dentist or an experienced user replies to this.. the dentist will let you bite on a gauze for some time to stop the bleeding. After that he will put your immediate denture in. You will be supposed to keep it during eating and sleeping and your dentist will tell you how long. In our practice we schedule patients to get a checkup on the next day after extractions so until then the denture stays in and the patients get further instructions.
Hope this helps for the start. By the way, your practice should be happy to help you with any questions or insecurities regarding any upcoming procedure, the more information you have about what will happen the better you can prepare.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

You would keep the partial in and try to apply pressure via the partial. It'll make more sense when you've got the denture in :)
It's not common to have bleeding issues after a canine extraction, it's usually lower molars in my experience. Smaller hole to bleed from I suppose :)

You would keep the partial in and try to apply pressure via the partial. It'll make more sense when you've got the denture in :)
It's not common to have bleeding issues after a canine extraction, it's usually lower molars in my experience. Smaller hole to bleed from I suppose :)
Yikes! Sounds tricky with a numb mouth but as you say it might be easier than sounds. Apparently it has no clips and is suction and for esthetics only. I've not seen it

Any danger of the partial dislodging the clot? I guess I'm worried about tolerating the partial and would feel better if I knew I could take it in and out of that isn't going to cause an issue.

I sense a dry sense of humour which kind of aleviates anxiety ?? thanks as always for your reply, not always time or easy to ask questions at appt time.

Your dentist should check that you can put the denture in and out easily before leaving the surgery. It's always very embarrassing to get a patient back in as an emergency when they can't get their denture out!
It's not likely to be a problem regarding the clot, once you leave the surgery, you are meant to leave the denture in situ for at least 12 hrs, by the time you take it out the clot will be very stable.

Back