• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

EXTREME anxiety and root canals

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tscaredpatient
  • Start date Start date
T

Tscaredpatient

Junior member
Joined
Jan 5, 2016
Messages
2
Hello, I recently have had extreme pain and found out I need a root canal and a few other things fixed. My tooth is infected and I'm more than scared. I will be sedated for the procedure. I am nervous about a number of things, I won't be getting the procedure done until next week and I can't eat or sleep. I have a terrible stomach ache and headache because I am so nervous. The doctor said they might put me to sleep by a shot into my shoulder muscle. Will this keep me asleep throughout the whole procedure? Will they still numb my mouth? And what can I do to lessen my anxiety until then? I cannot function like a normal person with this anxiety.

any help is appreciated
 
Hi there,

Sorry to hear you have such terrible anxiety. But I assure you that you can and will get through this.

I had my first root canal on a hopeless tooth which was finished after three sittings in October 2015. I practically begged them to let me keep my tooth so despite my high anxiety levels I was pleased to be getting the treatment. I have to say that with a lovely Endo, a full mp3 player and a positive frame of mind that the treatment was almost a doddle. (I did feel I was choking a couple of times but reassured myself in my head that I was fine and that if I needed to I could raise my hand and stop the treatment at any time.) The worst thing for me was the wait up until the treatment and time in the waiting room. Prescribed Diazepam also helped to sleep in the run up. So too herbal tincture, baths before bed and lavender oil. (Meditation is also useful for my anxiety.)

I hope this helps in some way and that your anxiety will lessen.

Best wishes
 
Hey Scaredpatient - You've made the appointment, survived the consult and set the date for the treatment = the rest is all work for your provider, all you have to do is show up and let them do what they do best!

If it means anything to you, I've had several root canal treatments and not ONE was at all painful during the procedure (and I did mine all awake, no sedatives or even gas). Abscesses are much more painful in my experience than the RCT to treat the infection. There have been a few (but not many) that were tender after the numbing wore off, but I'd never say it was painful after treatment. These are just my experiences, but yours should be similar.

Are you comfortable with your provider? Is your provider an Endodontist? I'd imagine you'll be seen in a clinic that has many specialist if they offer sedation. Do you know what kind of sedation you'll get (besides "a shot in the in the shoulder muscle")? I'm sure they'll also numb the area they'll be working on -- I can't imagine they wouldn't, but if you're concerned, ask them about this! Make a list of these questions and any others you have and call up the practice manager or dental nurse for answers - they should be happy to reassure you. Remember, this is your treatment and it's being done to make you feel BETTER, not worse! They are there to help you!

I recently had IV sedation for a dental procedure and I too asked if they would still numb the area and they said "Of course!" - I woke up numb in the treatment area, drowsy, loopy and feeling goood overall (IV pain medication is awesome!!). I went home, followed my after care instructions and took my medication faithfully. Considering that I was losing a tooth, the experience was much more positive than I ever imagined it could be. And that's the truth. I was terrified and did NOT want to give up my tooth....but I do feel much better now that it's over and I can move on toward Implant City!

Are you currently taking antibiotics to pre-treat the infection? This generally helps the pain to subside prior to treatment but not all providers prescribe pre-treatment meds. Are you taking over the counter pain medication? Like Ibuprofen or another anti-inflammatory? Ibuprofen has been the *only* OTC drug in my experience that helps with dental pain. Warm salt water rinses can be soothing for some people too, but not always.

You're doing something positive for your health by having the infection treated and you'll feel so much better once the treatment is done. I really hope your pain subsides and allows you to rest before your treatment and I hope you can post here when it's over and tell us all that it isn't something you want to do every day, but it wasn't a terrible experience either. :D
 
Back
Top