• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Feel like I am going crazy

M

MountainMama

Can a nerve be dying and show up as normal on a percussion and cold test? I have a lower molar that will not stop aching off and on. It is constant during the day, if I don't take ibuprofen, but feels just niggly in the morning. The ache is a gnawing ache that can be quite painful but not throbbing.

The molar was filled end of June and has never stopped hurting. Dentist tested with percussion and endo ice and results were normal two weeks ago. Now my ear is aching on that side as well, but no sinus congestion or pressure.

I feel like I am going crazy and am highly anxious to go back to the endodontist for a consult, since it seems that with my other root canal done early June, it has been a rabbit-hole of expensive, never ending issues after it failed. That was my first root canal experience, and it brought my phobia to the front again. I have been sticking my head in the sand about doing something about this other molar, but I can't deny it is getting more painful, not settling.

I think it can take a while for it to totally die? When mine died years ago it took about 4 months to show on tests and X-ray! And even then X-ray wasn’t conclusive? I’d let endo have another look! My one filling did take about 3 months to calm down! I wanted dentist to do a root canal on it but she refused! She said let it settle! Hope u get some answers soon xxx

I don't know the answer to whether the nerve could be dying and still respond normally to a cold and percussion test. But I was in a very similar situation as well on a molar with a deep filling. Normal response to cold and percussion test, and normal response to electric pulp test, but I had jaw and facial aches and a generalised ache that only goes away with arcoxia. I would get deep heat and cold sensitivity and even room temperature water hurts it. I was also unable to chew on this tooth. My first dentist told me that there is an 80% chance I would need a root canal and that the nerve is already starting to die. I must add that I had also just had my impacted wisdom tooth surgically extracted just a couple of months prior and I was in the middle of braces treatment.

I really didn't want a root canal so I sought a second opinion with another dentist who told me to wait it out and to apply sensitive toothpaste topically to help with the sensitivity. He said I could be dealing with a couple of things happening at the same time, bone loss from that impacted wisdom tooth being extracted, traumatic bite from being in the midst of braces treatment, exposed roots from all that movement and again bone loss from wisdom tooth extraction, and of course the deep filling.

Well, long story short, I waited it out and lived in pain and misery for 2 odd almost 3 months and was very religious with that topical application of sensitive tooth paste on that molar. The tooth has since kind of settled to a mild occasional annoyance every now and then. Those 2 odd almost 3 months have been the darkest and most miserable times in a long while.

For me, the healing was actually not linear, I would feel better and then sometimes wake up in pain and a sense of dread that this is a sign that it's heading downhill. So I know how that feels. But I would still say to give it more time to settle. My dentists and my orthodontist all told me if I went ahead to get a root canal, I'm not giving the tooth a fighting chance to heal and there is no turning back. That kinda kept me going.

I hope your tooth settles soon too. :clover:

I don't know the answer to whether the nerve could be dying and still respond normally to a cold and percussion test. But I was in a very similar situation as well on a molar with a deep filling. Normal response to cold and percussion test, and normal response to electric pulp test, but I had jaw and facial aches and a generalised ache that only goes away with arcoxia. I would get deep heat and cold sensitivity and even room temperature water hurts it. I was also unable to chew on this tooth. My first dentist told me that there is an 80% chance I would need a root canal and that the nerve is already starting to die. I must add that I had also just had my impacted wisdom tooth surgically extracted just a couple of months prior and I was in the middle of braces treatment.

I really didn't want a root canal so I sought a second opinion with another dentist who told me to wait it out and to apply sensitive toothpaste topically to help with the sensitivity. He said I could be dealing with a couple of things happening at the same time, bone loss from that impacted wisdom tooth being extracted, traumatic bite from being in the midst of braces treatment, exposed roots from all that movement and again bone loss from wisdom tooth extraction, and of course the deep filling.

Well, long story short, I waited it out and lived in pain and misery for 2 odd almost 3 months and was very religious with that topical application of sensitive tooth paste on that molar. The tooth has since kind of settled to a mild occasional annoyance every now and then. Those 2 odd almost 3 months have been the darkest and most miserable times in a long while.

For me, the healing was actually not linear, I would feel better and then sometimes wake up in pain and a sense of dread that this is a sign that it's heading downhill. So I know how that feels. But I would still say to give it more time to settle. My dentists and my orthodontist all told me if I went ahead to get a root canal, I'm not giving the tooth a fighting chance to heal and there is no turning back. That kinda kept me going.

I hope your tooth settles soon too. :clover:

I have been using fluoride toothpaste, but not a sensitive tooth toothpaste. When you apply the toothpaste, is it just brushing, or are you talking about actually leaving the toothpaste on?

I go in to the endodontist on Fridat for my apicoectomy on the other molar, so I may ask her to check it while I am there. The dentist said I need an endo referral anyway.

I just feel like everything is collapsing around me right now. I also have a chronic sinus infection, which the doctors are attributing to resistance from the three rounds of antibiotics I had during the root canal fiasco. That is leading to an ear infection. It is just never ending.

I feel we are in some kinda dental hell right now! I feel like I’m never going to be pain free from this bloomin crown fiasco as well! I just keep thinking to myself it has to resolve at some point! Be strong and just know that you are dealing with everything as best u can! Get the api out the way friday and then go from there... big hugs xxx

I feel we are in some kinda dental hell right now! I feel like I’m never going to be pain free from this bloomin crown fiasco as well! I just keep thinking to myself it has to resolve at some point! Be strong and just know that you are dealing with everything as best u can! Get the api out the way friday and then go from there... big hugs xxx

Thanks. I really like that we can get support here. I hope your 2nd root canal retreatment appointment gives you good results also.

I have been using fluoride toothpaste, but not a sensitive tooth toothpaste. When you apply the toothpaste, is it just brushing, or are you talking about actually leaving the toothpaste on?

I go in to the endodontist on Fridat for my apicoectomy on the other molar, so I may ask her to check it while I am there. The dentist said I need an endo referral anyway.

I just feel like everything is collapsing around me right now. I also have a chronic sinus infection, which the doctors are attributing to resistance from the three rounds of antibiotics I had during the root canal fiasco. That is leading to an ear infection. It is just never ending.

I was leaving the tooth paste on for 20 to 30 mins.

I think I did this with my filling that took ages to settle! I kinda smeared it in the filling before bed!

It is worth a try. I am pretty sure my endo would not do a root canal if the tests are negative. She will want to wait also. Tonight the pain is more in my jaw joint, not even in or under the tooth. It seems to move.

Another question...when your filling hurt, did it cause the teeth near it to hurt? Also, were you able to manage without meds?

The back molar had the deep filling. The molar next to it, and the bicuspid in front of that both ache as well and are sometimes painful if I press on them. I have been on ibuprofen since early June for the failed root canal, and now I am on Toradol for the apicoectomy recovery. Yet, even with the toradol, that lower jaw still aches. I cannot determine which tooth it is, and am terrified that I am going to end up needing two more root canals now!!!

Another question...when your filling hurt, did it cause the teeth near it to hurt? Also, were you able to manage without meds?

The back molar had the deep filling. The molar next to it, and the bicuspid in front of that both ache as well and are sometimes painful if I press on them. I have been on ibuprofen since early June for the failed root canal, and now I am on Toradol for the apicoectomy recovery. Yet, even with the toradol, that lower jaw still aches. I cannot determine which tooth it is, and am terrified that I am going to end up needing two more root canals now!!!

I didn't get pain in specific areas or teeth apart from that 2nd molar with a deep filling. I had generalised pain instead. My jaw on the same side as that molar was achy, and I would get pressure pain throughout the day that radiates to my ear and occasionally up to my temples. I took 1 tablet of arcoxia (my dr said it's a sister drug of ibuprofen) and it lasts a day and keeps the pain away, and then the pain would get "activated" again the next day when I eat/drink hot and especially cold foods. I was not taking arcoxia very frequently though, perhaps 1 or 2 tablets in a week? Each tablet lasts a day, so I choose to live with the pain in between. I have health anxiety, so I was also worried about how my kidneys, liver and heart is going to be affected by the medicine.

I would advise not to rush into making any treatment decision now when you are in alot of pain. My colleague told me back then that I ought to wait until more symptoms present itself and I can be sure before I seek treatment. One of my greatest fear is what if getting a root canal does not take away the pain.

I'm wondering if you are having referred pain in your neighbouring teeth. I think it's kind of unlikely that one tooth with a deep filling would cause 2 other teeth next to it to end up needing root canals as well especially if the other 2 teeth are healthy and have not had any work done. I would also suggest to leave your teeth alone not to touch it and test if it's still hurting. Wait it out abit, afterall, you've had alot of work done in the past couple of months, it must be quite traumatic for your jaw and body.

But that said, if the pain is getting worse, then go back to your dentist and see what she recommends.

I think it’s prob referred pain from that molar! Is there any fillings to the other two teeth at all? My dodgy crowned tooth is currently making the two in front of it feel so too! I think the brain just doesn’t know where the pain signal is coming from?

I think it’s prob referred pain from that molar! Is there any fillings to the other two teeth at all? My dodgy crowned tooth is currently making the two in front of it feel so too! I think the brain just doesn’t know where the pain signal is coming from?

The molar in front has an old silver amalgam filling, but the bicuspid does not. I am also concerned that the silver filling may have decay under it as well. I have read that decay won't show up in an x ray under a silver filling, which was what happened with my painful molar.

I didn't get pain in specific areas or teeth apart from that 2nd molar with a deep filling. I had generalised pain instead. My jaw on the same side as that molar was achy, and I would get pressure pain throughout the day that radiates to my ear and occasionally up to my temples. I took 1 tablet of arcoxia (my dr said it's a sister drug of ibuprofen) and it lasts a day and keeps the pain away, and then the pain would get "activated" again the next day when I eat/drink hot and especially cold foods. I was not taking arcoxia very frequently though, perhaps 1 or 2 tablets in a week? Each tablet lasts a day, so I choose to live with the pain in between. I have health anxiety, so I was also worried about how my kidneys, liver and heart is going to be affected by the medicine.

I would advise not to rush into making any treatment decision now when you are in alot of pain. My colleague told me back then that I ought to wait until more symptoms present itself and I can be sure before I seek treatment. One of my greatest fear is what if getting a root canal does not take away the pain.

I'm wondering if you are having referred pain in your neighbouring teeth. I think it's kind of unlikely that one tooth with a deep filling would cause 2 other teeth next to it to end up needing root canals as well especially if the other 2 teeth are healthy and have not had any work done. I would also suggest to leave your teeth alone not to touch it and test if it's still hurting. Wait it out abit, afterall, you've had alot of work done in the past couple of months, it must be quite traumatic for your jaw and body.

But that said, if the pain is getting worse, then go back to your dentist and see what she recommends.

Thank you. I am definitely not going to rush into anything. Right now, I am also concerned about the amount of ibuprofen going into my body, but with all the procedures I have had, I can't go without or I can't function as a parent or work.
I am hoping that in the next few days, I can taper down to just 200 mg of ibuprofen 3x a day. Right now I am on 60o mg 3x a day. I can deal with a little achiness, but not the gnawing at my jaw feeling. I also can't gauge the pain accurately when I am on antibiotics. Last time that diminished the pain in my tooth that needed a root canal, so this pain may flare up after I am off them.

I don't usually have health anxiety but this summer has got to be doing a number on my body. I hope I can come out of this with my liver and kidneys intact.