• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Finally made first appointment

I wonder if they some just really don't have an idea of HOW difficult it is for an anxious dental patient to just call. I remember just staring at the phone like ok.. Im going to do it on my break, then , I'm going to do it on my lunch.. still thinking about then . I'm going to do it on my next break.. stare more. I'm going to do it tomorrow.. and on down the line. I do appreciate the fact that when I email , my dental office will call me back themselves which does make it easier.

I wonder if they some just really don't have an idea of HOW difficult it is for an anxious dental patient to just call. I remember just staring at the phone like ok.. Im going to do it on my break, then , I'm going to do it on my lunch.. still thinking about then . I'm going to do it on my next break.. stare more. I'm going to do it tomorrow.. and on down the line. I do appreciate the fact that when I email , my dental office will call me back themselves which does make it easier.
I used to even be like that when I had to make calls for work, this is that bit harder! Even the fact I can't look at my calendar on my phone at the same time as speaking on it is annoying, so I'll probably just say yes to a day that I have plans. I'm writing down now the days that would suit me so I'm ready. Hopefully they won't try and just tell me a date. I'm tempted to just email but I'm sure I can manage to speak to a receptionist for a few minutes! If I had done it as soon as I got the message it would be done now. Silly me!

:rolleyes: Well that was nerves for nothing. I told her the text said it was for a check up but that I was waiting for the NHS approval for treatment. She doesn't know if that's through yet, will have to check with the dentist and she'll call me back tomorrow morning, so ignore the text.

But tomorrow I'll be with people, today I'm not! I'd rather get a phone call like that when I'm alone! o_O

So you called ? hey it wasn't for nothing :) it was a step, sounds like positive momentum. you did it!! regardless of their answer , you will get yours .. Great job calling!

Hmm, you may have a point. Yes, I did call, the first phone call to a dentist I have ever made! So I suppose it is a step, I can just view it as practice for all the other many calls they will no doubt make me make. Hopefully some of it can be done via email!

Now I just have to wait until tomorrow. I'll probably end up letting it go to voicemail then having to get the nerves to return the call. And if the approval isn't through, I'll go through it all again when it is, in a week or two.

But thanks, I will look at it as a positive step!

They didn't call yesterday, or today. So either the approval isn't through or they aren't in a rush to start. I'll wait till next Friday when it'll be a full 12 weeks and I'll email them. Although that would have been a perfect day to get started as my work for that day cancelled and I'll have the day free.

You have been on my mind ReginaPhalange. I keep thinking that it’s getting very close and maybe today will be the day that you get some news. Please know that you are in my thoughts! Keep us posted!

I also hope you hear soon!!

What concerned me a bit was when I thought I was phoning and starting to make plans and appointments, I felt quite sick. I thought I was over the worst of the nerves, although it is constantly in my mind. I know I only had one appointment, but even finding out what needed done, I felt OK. Probably because I knew it was ages away. But if I felt sick at that, I'll be much worse when I actually go for treatment. Even trying to find a date that would involve the least change to my routine was nerve-wracking.

Or maybe I will be fine. Who knows!

What concerned me a bit was when I thought I was phoning and starting to make plans and appointments, I felt quite sick. I thought I was over the worst of the nerves, although it is constantly in my mind. I know I only had one appointment, but even finding out what needed done, I felt OK. Probably because I knew it was ages away. But if I felt sick at that, I'll be much worse when I actually go for treatment. Even trying to find a date that would involve the least change to my routine was nerve-wracking.

Or maybe I will be fine. Who knows!

I have been there! I have battled sickness from nerves before appointments. Initially it was happening fairly consistently before fillings for about the first few appointments that I was informed of ahead of time (I was a teenager and my mother liked to spring them on me last minute :hidesbehindsofa:). It would always kinda sneak up on me...like I’d feel ok and then just throw up out of nowhere (usually a day or 2 before the appointment)...and this continued for awhile even though I was having positive experiences (minus the shock and awe of not being told when I had appointments). Then it just went to butterflies/shakiness and then it faded to mild jitters (I also learned to steal my mothers pocket book to find the dates of my appointments penciled in which helped! :grin:). I haven’t had any nausea before an appointment in probably 12 YEARS (not even before my root canal which makes absolutely no sense!) but for some reason, it happened this year and it hit me in the parking lot just before I was going to get out of my car for a filling appointment. I didn’t actually throw up but I had to try really hard not to. Once I get into the office, the nausea always goes away and once the treatment starts it always dissipates completely and I never really think about it again. I’m not sure what was different about this treatment that made me so nervous leading up to it except that I had gone awhile without needing any procedures so I think I was just more sensitive. I remember that after my root canal and several filling appointments some time ago, by the time we got to the crown I honestly didn’t even care what my dentist was doing and I could almost fall asleep during treatment. I was so desensitized. I remember completely zoning out without a care in the world listening to my head phones during that appointment and just feeling bored.

Eek. They phoned :frantic::frantic::frantic::frantic:
But I didn't have my phone close so I missed the call. The voicemail says they have the approval and I've to call to arrange it.

I'm definitely not calling them while I'm at work, but I think I might email now and tell them I'll try later in the evening.
If only they would email back with the plan and available dates. I don't want to talk!

Regina,

glad they called you back. bummer to miss it, aghh. I so get the feeling of wishing to just email :) I hope you can find a good time and connect . You are on the way!

I phoned. I was to book two half hour appointments a week apart. Unfortunately he's going on holiday and the next available was April.

Would you believe I didn't even ask what they were for?? That's how stupid I am on phone calls, and why I much prefer writing!! I thought the deep cleaning would be first, but she said "he" is on holiday, and I think the hygienist is a she. So it must be something the dentist is doing. Would the deep clean be more likely to be last?
Of all the treatment I've to get I don't know what would be half an hour twice. One of the 3 root canals maybe?

I will email them and ask, just not today, I feel too silly to have not checked at the time! o_O

That's exciting that you heard something finally. Root canal would take a lot longer than 30 minutes (I think mine took over 2 hours plus 2ish hours when I went back for the crown). A cleaning could be 30 minutes or possibly a small filling???

That's exciting that you heard something finally. Root canal would take a lot longer than 30 minutes (I think mine took over 2 hours plus 2ish hours when I went back for the crown). A cleaning could be 30 minutes or possibly a small filling???
Yes, it's sort of exciting that I finally have appointments. I think it'll just be much slower than I expected (four months from consultation to starting treatment), but that's OK. I'm an NHS patient, if I was one of their private patients it would probably be faster, but more than I could afford. So I'll do what it takes, including waiting!

I just hope it isn't a long job rushed into a quarter of the time just because I'm not paying private. I know it will be shorter appointments in general and that I won't get the extra time for talking and reassurance that a lot here have benefitted from. But I'm OK with that. If I think the work is being done well I'll deal with not being treated quite so highly etc, as long as they are generally nice with me.

I can now put it out of my mind until next month. Relax!!

I just hope it isn't a long job rushed into a quarter of the time just because I'm not paying private. I know it will be shorter appointments in general and that I won't get the extra time for talking and reassurance that a lot here have benefitted from. But I'm OK with that. If I think the work is being done well I'll deal with not being treated quite so highly etc, as long as they are generally nice with me.

Well regardless, certain procedures just take a really long time. Just the process is long (like there’s a lot of steps involved). Almost all of my appointments have been very much no frills in regard to having any real conversations about my fears (mostly because I don’t care to talk about it)..we just address things as we go and we may pause but only if I’m really freaking out and can’t deal with it.

Congratulations on making the appointments! The back and forth can be so tough, and then there's the waiting! I do think I'd find out what exactly will happen at the appointments. For what it's worth, the 30 minute-ish appointments I've had were for:
- x-rays (panoramic or CBCT or bite wings, especially if you need root canals)
- consultation exams - meeting the doctor, him looking in my mouth, and coming up with the treatment plan

I know you've already done the latter - so maybe just more imaging or to come up with an order of operations with the doctor? I think I'd call and maybe also try to schedule the actual work now as they seem to be so booked up. If you schedule now, perhaps you can start the actual work soon after the 30 minute meeting.

Keep us posted, good luck, here for you, you're doing GREAT.

Thinking of you - this has really been dragging on, hasn't it?

I hope you managed to get some clarification via email :grouphug:

Thinking of you - this has really been dragging on, hasn't it?

I hope you managed to get some clarification via email :grouphug:
Aw thanks.

I've tried to put it out of my head. Some days I've almost even forgotten about it all!

I've emailed them now but I probably won't get a reply till they're open again on Monday.

It's probably been easier to forget about it by not knowing. But I do want to know by the time I actually go on Tuesday, so hopefully they will get back to me.

:(