• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Finally making dentist appointment after 10 years, 3 broken teeth, and one abcess - first post

  • Thread starter Thread starter AJS
  • Start date Start date
Re: Finally making dentist appointment after 10 years, 3 broken teeth, and one abcess - first post

I just wanted to add my well wishes for your appointment. Stay positive! You are on your way to a healthy mouth.

:clover:

BH
 
Re: Finally making dentist appointment after 10 years, 3 broken teeth, and one abcess - first post

Less than hour until I leave to go to the dentist. Sheer terror has set in, I feel like I am going to pass out. But I am going, no matter what. I am so worried that my life is going to be horrible after today, but I have no choice - I have to do this.
 
Re: Finally making dentist appointment after 10 years, 3 broken teeth, and one abcess - first post

Less than hour until I leave to go to the dentist. Sheer terror has set in, I feel like I am going to pass out. But I am going, no matter what. I am so worried that my life is going to be horrible after today, but I have no choice - I have to do this.

You are so brave and awesome, and I am going to follow your story because you're my inspiration! It's going to be okay, and I know that because you're doing the right thing. The right thing always turns out to be okay.

Go you! Stay strong (you know... for me. :cool:)

Let us know how it went!
 
Re: Finally making dentist appointment after 10 years, 3 broken teeth, and one abcess - first post

Alright, I am back home from the dentist.


  • Everyone, and I mean everyone, at the dentist's office was amazing nice, gentle, and non-judgmental.
  • My teeth can be saved! It is going to be very expensive, even after insurance, but I knew that going in - the American health care system is terrible.
  • I have many cavities that need to be filled, and I am also going to need 5 (!) root canals. My dentist said he always suggests that root canal patients get crowns, but he said we can wait until all my root canals are done and reassess at that time. He said the remaining parts of broken teeth are strong enough that the root canal, buildup, and filling may be sufficient on some or all of them. We will see.
  • They do offer a 24-month interest-free payment plan, so that helps a little bit
  • I already have my next appointment - Sept. 17th at 2pm. At that appointment I will be getting a root canal on my most damaged tooth and I presume my gum treatments will start at that appointment too.

I'll post more later but I just wanted to let everyone know how it went - I am still really scared about all the work I will need to have done but at least I think I can trust this dentist. Thank you again to everyone for your support - I will make sure to return the favor and will be sticking around to update my progress.
 
Re: Finally making dentist appointment after 10 years, 3 broken teeth, and one abcess - first post

WELL DONE :jump::jump::jump: and :thankyou: for letting us know how you went on. Your dentist sounds lovely that you saw. Root canal treatment (rct) is not bad at all. You will be okay.

Good luck with your dental journey and best wishes :yay::yay::yay::butterfly:
 
Re: Finally making dentist appointment after 10 years, 3 broken teeth, and one abcess - first post

:welldone: :welldone: :yay::yay::dance2::dance2::victory::victory::frantic::frantic::frantic:

Great job AJS!!! That's pretty similar to how my first treatment plan went. Root canals are a hassle but really no big deal. All of this stuff can be done painlessly under local anesthetic, and you can do it all at whatever pace you like. I prefer doing one tooth at a time every two or three weeks, but if there's two right next to each other it's easier to have them both done at once while I'm still numb. Definitely get crowns if you can; they'll protect your teeth and actually make then stronger than when you started. And on visible teeth, crowns look really nice and natural.

I'm SO SO SO proud and happy for you! I know just how you're feeling-- proud of yourself (I hope!) and a little overwhelmed, and probably kind of exhausted. This is such a HUGE step, and it sounds like you've picked a good practice. It really helps when the rest of the staff is also very friendly and patient. All those years of worrying and avoiding are behind you now, and you're on your way to a healthy smile! No lost teeth, no shame or lectures, just a bunch of visits and a big ugly bill. :scared:

Great job, no go relax and give yourself a huge pat on the back!!!:respect::respect::respect::respect::respect:
 
Re: Finally making dentist appointment after 10 years, 3 broken teeth, and one abcess - first post

:welldone: :welldone: :yay::yay::dance2::dance2::victory::victory::frantic::frantic::frantic:

Great job AJS!!! That's pretty similar to how my first treatment plan went. Root canals are a hassle but really no big deal. All of this stuff can be done painlessly under local anesthetic, and you can do it all at whatever pace you like. I prefer doing one tooth at a time every two or three weeks, but if there's two right next to each other it's easier to have them both done at once while I'm still numb. Definitely get crowns if you can; they'll protect your teeth and actually make then stronger than when you started. And on visible teeth, crowns look really nice and natural.

I'm SO SO SO proud and happy for you! I know just how you're feeling-- proud of yourself (I hope!) and a little overwhelmed, and probably kind of exhausted. This is such a HUGE step, and it sounds like you've picked a good practice. It really helps when the rest of the staff is also very friendly and patient. All those years of worrying and avoiding are behind you now, and you're on your way to a healthy smile! No lost teeth, no shame or lectures, just a bunch of visits and a big ugly bill. :scared:

Great job, no go relax and give yourself a huge pat on the back!!!:respect::respect::respect::respect::respect:

Thanks so much for your kind words! I'm proud of myself but also ashamed for putting my family under financial duress all because of this phobia. We'll see how everything goes RE: crowns. My bills are going to be $6,000 for the root canals, fillings, and gum treatments - the crowns would be an additional $4,000 total, which just is not doable for me at this point.
 
Re: Finally making dentist appointment after 10 years, 3 broken teeth, and one abcess - first post

Yay!:jump:

Another person on the road to a treatment plan and a smiley mouth!

Well done.

I have had 1 rct and 5 crowns and am very happy with the result. Hope you are feeling less stressed about the situation now. Yes it's a lot of money, but the outcome will be well worth it. We do not realise how much we have been tormenting ourselves until we take that first big step. (I am still getting used to smiling properly instead of grinning!)
 
Re: Finally making dentist appointment after 10 years, 3 broken teeth, and one abcess - first post

Congrats on going to you're appointment and finding a great dental office staff that will give you the care you need :jump: Everyone says great things about RCT'S so I'm wishing you all the best AJS
 
Re: Finally making dentist appointment after 10 years, 3 broken teeth, and one abcess - first post

you're doing great! :)

like you, i went a long long time without dental care. broken teeth, cavities, abscesses...... it has been hell (am i allowed to 'say' that word here on the forum? lol). yesterday i started my journey on the road to a healthy mouth, and you can too!

good luck, and you will be fine, i promise it :)
 
Re: Finally making dentist appointment after 10 years, 3 broken teeth, and one abcess - first post

gapmouthgirl hell, I think you just did :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

AJS good luck with your treatment, keep us posted :)
 
Re: Finally making dentist appointment after 10 years, 3 broken teeth, and one abcess - first post

Sorry for dropping out of the discussion here for awhile - the only way I could deal with having a month between my initial appointment and my first RCT was to just completely push it out of my mind.

Can't do that now, though, as I will be getting my first RCT tomorrow afternoon - really starting to get freaked out! Logically I'm sure it will be ok, but emotionally I feel like I am getting ready for hell.
 
Re: Finally making dentist appointment after 10 years, 3 broken teeth, and one abcess - first post

Hi AJS,

just wishing you good luck for your RCT :clover::clover::clover::clover::clover: !

Yes it's sure you will be OK! I'll have my RCT on the 3rd October but I wish it were sooner ;D

So, best wishes and keep posting :):)

victorine
 
Re: Finally making dentist appointment after 10 years, 3 broken teeth, and one abcess - first post

wishing you luck for the RCT- hopefully you'll report back how boring and non-eventful the whole thing was.
 
Re: Finally making dentist appointment after 10 years, 3 broken teeth, and one abcess - first post

Sorry for the delay in posting, been extremely busy with work. I had my first of five RCT's (and an adjacent filling) on Monday - and I survived!

Much like everyone said, the procedure was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. The only thing that was even moderately "painful" (more discomfort than anything, really) was the injection for the anesthetic - they had to several injections because the tooth was almost completely decayed.

After that, though, it was just being patient while they did all the work. It took a little longer than expected but the dentist was amazing - any time he saw even the slightest change in my facial expression, he would ask if I was feeling and pain and offer to numb the tooth more if I needed it.

Long story short, it seems like the first RCT was successful. I still am not thrilled about having to do four more plus a bunch of other work, but the abject fear that I have been feeling for more than a decade is slowly starting to fade. For the first time, I really feel like I can do this! Thank you so much to everyone who has helped encourage me, and I'll make sure to keep everyone updated. RCT #2 is scheduled for Oct. 29th, then I have to wait until next year to start the rest because I have already reached my yearly limit on dental insurance.
 
Re: Finally making dentist appointment after 10 years, 3 broken teeth, and one abcess - first post

CONGRATULATIONS on getting your rct done :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump:
 
Re: Finally making dentist appointment after 10 years, 3 broken teeth, and one abcess - first post

Here's my suggestion: FIND ANOTHER DENTIST!

There was NO REASON for him not to have numbed you adequately and no reason to continue to drill when you were probably yelling and flailing all over the place.

I have an awesome dentist, and he would have NEVER EVER let that happen. In fact, I am still numb for hours after I leave there. He makes sure I will not feel a thing and I never have.

Good luck to you!
 
Re: Finally making dentist appointment after 10 years, 3 broken teeth, and one abcess - first post

Just wanted to give everyone an update, as I had my third (of many) dental visits yesterday - this one was for another RCT. I was amazed at how much more relaxed I was compared to last time - still anxious for sure but not the abject fear I experienced before. This tooth had pretty much broken in half vertically years ago but somehow was able to be saved - the dentist said he was shocked by how strong the remaining part of my tooth was and that played a role in being able to save it.

Anyway, the procedure took only an hour, which was considerably shorter than my first RCT a few months ago. Also, my first RCT (which is fully filled and bonded but not capped) is holding up well, and he expects the same for yesterday's RCT.

Because health care in America is horrible, I basically have to wait until the new year to have my dental coverage cover any more dental work, so my next root canal won't be until mid-January. Thanks again to everyone who has been so kind to me, hopefully I will be able to return the favor!
 
Re: Finally making dentist appointment after 10 years, 3 broken teeth, and one abcess - first post

Congrats :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump: I am so pleased for you that you have been able to get the work you needed done, and that you survive the rct's :rofl:

I hope everything stays settled until next year and you can start again. Good luck :clover::clover::clover::clover::clover: and best wishes to you.
 
Re: Finally making dentist appointment after 10 years, 3 broken teeth, and one abcess - first post

It's been a long time since I posted on this thread so I just wanted to give an update:

I have had 4 of my 5 root canals done - still have one more to go plus some more fillings but things are really moving along! Also had my deep cleaning done in two visits - I was really freaked out about that going in, but it was nowhere near as bad as I expected.

I was able to add secondary dental insurance through my wife's job, so that has helped tremendously in terms of being able to get the rest of my work done in a timely manner.

I have two more fillings being done today, so I just wanted to say thanks again to everyone here. You really helped me get started on this journey, and it is very much appreciated.
 
Back
Top