• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Finally went to dentist after 15+ years-all bad news

S

Snaggletooth24

Due to money issues, fear and embarrassment I neglected going to the dentist for over 15 years. I did go 4 years ago for X-rays and consult. They told me it would be $1500 just to deep clean my teeth. So what did I foolishly do? Well I waited another 4 long years. Knowing I had issues with my front teeth I finally went a month ago. It was devastating news! Severe bone loss to the point that 2 teeth will probably fall out before they are removed.

Yesterday I had 2 lower molars removed. No implants due to severe bone loss and infection. I had a scaling done on all quadrants. I was told I needed to have my 4 bottom front teeth removed. The periodontist said at least the 2 middle ones for now and in a year the other 2 if not sooner. She doesn’t think a bridge will work since my canines are not stable due to bone loss. She doesn’t think they are savable. The bone loss in the very front is extreme. They can’t even do a graph.

I have done nothing but cry for 2 days. I’m only 55. I have scoured the internet for even a glimmer of hope but there is none. The worst place to have severe bone loss is the lower jaw as dentures don’t fit correctly or stay in place without implants. Apparently I am not a candidate for implants at all. I have never been so depressed or hopeless

Due to money issues, fear and embarrassment I neglected going to the dentist for over 15 years. I did go 4 years ago for X-rays and consult. They told me it would be $1500 just to deep clean my teeth. So what did I foolishly do? Well I waited another 4 long years. Knowing I had issues with my front teeth I finally went a month ago. It was devastating news! Severe bone loss to the point that 2 teeth will probably fall out before they are removed.

Yesterday I had 2 lower molars removed. No implants due to severe bone loss and infection. I had a scaling done on all quadrants. I was told I needed to have my 4 bottom front teeth removed. The periodontist said at least the 2 middle ones for now and in a year the other 2 if not sooner. She doesn’t think a bridge will work since my canines are not stable due to bone loss. She doesn’t think they are savable. The bone loss in the very front is extreme. They can’t even do a graph.

I have done nothing but cry for 2 days. I’m only 55. I have scoured the internet for even a glimmer of hope but there is none. The worst place to have severe bone loss is the lower jaw as dentures don’t fit correctly or stay in place without implants. Apparently I am not a candidate for implants at all. I have never been so depressed or hopeless
So sorry to read your post, you must be devastated at what you've been told. I'm not qualified in any sense of the word to offer advice but I can offer you my sympathy and best wishes that things don't turn out as bad as you're thinking at the moment.

I guess that now you've started your dental journey and however bad you're feeling at the moment, you're in the right place and you need to set it through and do at home whatever they ask you to.

Best wishes.

Hi @Snaggletooth24, so very sorry to hear about the bad news 😢.

Would it be an idea to see a prosthodontist to see if anything can be done? It may well be worth getting a second opinion from a prosthodontist, even if it's just to reassure yourself that you are taking the best possible course of action. Also, they may be better placed to fit a traditional denture under challenging conditions (if you're not a suitable candidate for implants).

Wishing you all the best, hang on in there 🤗

I’m sorry to hear about the bad news at least now you are taking care of you’re problems now instead of letting them get even worse i wish you all the best in you’re journey and just know that We are all here for you

Snaggletooth24,

:grouphug:First off, sorry to hear of the hard news! How are you doing with the extraction site? how are you feeling ? it has to be exhausting both the physical and mental parts of it together!

You are in the right place, though I know its still hard.. and its okay to cry . we all do at times. Letsconnect did have a great idea in contacting a prosthodontist , I know many will give free consults and even ct scans as they want business , it might be worth getting a consult . I"ve lost many tooth too and have bone loss. and was suprised they could help me but I did find a few dentists that are doing that with bonegrafts and implants.

Its so normal to procrastinate.. and really some of us its not even that we want to but finances are a huge matter in dentistry and implants and other dental work to save teeth is not cheap.

Take one step at a time.. and I hope you can do something kind for yourself after all the courage you got up to get this done!

Hi Snaggletooth24,

So sorry about your bad news. Good on you for having the courage to go to the dentist after so long! I was in your shoes about 5 years ago. I went to the dentist for the FIRST time at 39 years old, after one of my bottom front teeth fell out. I also had severe bone loss and ended up getting 17 more extracted, all in front. I'm also not a candidate for implants on the bottom, but, I still have molars there and a prosthodontist was able to design traditional partials that fit amazingly well (I can eat corn on the cob with them!) I think they're called precision fit or something b/c there are clasps that sit in the grooves of the teeth that are left. Like letsconnect has suggested, maybe a prosthodontist can help...they seem to love a good challenge! Sending you lots of strength and hope.

@Snaggletooth24

I am so sorry and feel for you . I have gum disease and told to give up smoking but cant . I have managed to stop my gums bleeding but due to wearing a denture i can now feel my front feeth becoming mobile. I am telling you this because i am 51 and already lost 10 teeth and have seen my dentist regularly all my life. So you are not alone x

Back