• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Finally went to the dentist. Got good news and bad news.

D

depressedbunny

Apologies for the long post ahead. I had been putting off going to the dentist for so long due to finances and fear of what they would tell me. I finally become financially independent recently but still was shying away from making an appointment. I finally made the appointment and they got me in the next day which was about a week ago. First, I had no cavities which was awesome. I told them I take really good care of my teeth because it means a lot to me. They did however say I had a ton of plaque/tartar and I told them I haven’t been to the dentist in two years so they figured that was why. Not only that but I’ve always accumulated tartar easily. They said my gums look good and that my previous fillings were holding up just fine which reassured me because I clench my teeth subconsciously at night and have had those fillings for almost 5 years now. The bad news is that my hygienist said that she noticed the back of my top teeth were becoming a little translucent and that makes it easier for tartar to stick on. She asked if I struggled with acid reflux to which I applied yes (my struggles with acid reflux have been my biggest fear regarding my teeth because it causes a lot of damage). Overall the appointment went really well. I’m scheduled again in six months and I’m glad I found a dentist office I finally feel comfortable at. The thing is, my acid reflux is simply not controllable/curable. My lower esophageal sphincter is weak according to my GI. Basically, it never closes so stomach acid is constantly coming up which affirms why I constantly have a sour taste in my mouth no matter what I eat or the time of day. The only way to fix this is with surgery, which comes with its own risks and people have had mixed reviews on it. I basically feel like my teeth are on a ticking time bomb. Luckily right now they’re okay, but the fact that my hygienist is already seeing signs of my enamel wearing away just confirms the fears I’ve had for over a year now. And unfortunately I’m someone who’s acid reflux is a structural problem rather than a diet problem. I don’t know how to cope with the fact that my teeth are probably slowly eroding away. They’re really white and nice right now (people even tell me I have perfect teeth) but just knowing that they won’t stay that way even though I take excellent care of them makes me so depressed. I do everything right. Brush twice a day, never miss a day of flossing, watch my diet. I also chew gum constantly to get rid of the acid taste in my mouth and rise with baking soda water to neutralize the constant acid on my teeth. I’m just so depressed. I don’t want fake teeth. I’m young and can’t even imagine going through that. I know there’s nothing wrong with false teeth and I would never judge someone for having them, it’s just That I’m already insecure and have a negative perception of myself. If anyone has any advice or experience, please share. The only thing giving me peace of mind right now is that I will be going in for checkups often now that I’ve found a good dentist and they will be able to tell me what’s going on. Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
Hi. I just wanted to say that it sounds like you are doing everything you possibly can and any problems you might encounter in the future is because of a condition which you have no control over. So you have nothing to reproach yourself for at all. I know the constant worry is hard to stop but this sounds like it's something which is out of your hands.
I'm in a situation where I feel like I could do more but I don't know how to. I take medication which causes tooth decay and I do probably eat too many sugary and starchy things. But I honestly don't know what else to eat. Seriously. What do people eat in their diet that doesn't cause problems with teeth? Because it seems like practically everything does aside from vegetables and cheese!
I'm really interested in you saying you rinse with baking soda to neutralize the acid on your teeth. Could you tell me more about that please? When do you do it? After eating? Is it just normal baking soda mixed in water or is there an actual mouthwash you can buy? This is something that I think might help me.

Just here to say I have GERD and have similar fears. Mine is also structural (hiatal hernia) but I have somewhat managed to get it under control.

Diet plays a huge role in my GERD, specific foods for sure trigger it so it’s worthwhile trying to discover your trigger foods if you haven’t already. Secondly, place the top of your bed on some wooden blocks to incline it. The diagonal slant will help keep acid down throughout the night. Lastly, and this is quite specific to me. Constipation causes my GERD to flair up badly, and for me Gaviscon tablets and PPIs caused bad constipation.

There is a lot of good information around for GERD, there is a good subreddit with lots of good tips too. Don’t lose hope you will find something that works for you I promise!

Back