• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First Abscess ... what should I expect?

M

missiri

So I have scheduled one of my problematic front teeth to be extracted in about four days. However today I felt pain and felt a bump on my gum above that tooth that is painful/sensitive to touch. Im thinking it is none other than the dreaded abscess...

I'm just scared about it because I've never had one... Should I try and find emergency to go into for it? Will it hurt if it bursts? I've read some things online and people say as long as your whole face isnt swelling and you have no fever, you should be good to wait for your appointment but feeling it there and knowing it's there gives me extreme anxiety. Im scared of it bursting. Is there any way to take the swelling down until I go in?

You should be fine in four days. I had an abscess on my front tooth for almost two years, and didn’t even know it. It didn’t ever have a bump, no fever and no pain until then. Never did have fever or swelling. If your appointment was a month away, I would suggest getting antibiotics but most of the time when an abscess is discovered it takes more than four days to get an appointment.
You could try rinsing with salt water until then. You also may want to call in to the dentist/surgeon who is extracting it and let them know. They may want to put you on antibiotics to help with healing. Good luck!

I went into urgent care today out of fear and they gave me amox- clav (augmentin) antibiotics until my appointment on monday. my doctor to one good look at the poofy bump on my gum and said "yep infection it wont get better without the dentist" (obvious) but said antibiotics should help it from getting worse at least. :( until monday

Good luck on Monday and let us know how it went. Hope the antibiotics will help to calm your worries a bit until Monday..

Glad you got some antibiotics. I hope they help. The antibiotics will stop it from getting worse. I hope your appointment goes well!

So they took out two problematic teeth beneath the swelling , but they left the pus bump on my gum and told me to keep taking meds ? Is it normal not to drain it / cut it open ?

Yes. The rest of the pus will come out through the extraction sockets.

Okay thank you . I finally got all of my problematic front teeth removed (4 of them) so now my next step is a partial denture. Can’t wait to be done with this all

Well done on getting it done. Wishing you a speedy recovery and hope all goes well with the partial denture too. :clover: I see how you look forward to be done with it all.

Thank you. Now I’m having tmj pain which is apparently normal for having so many teeth removed ... but I’ll have to deal with it until I go in next :(

Back