• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First appointment tomorrow.. need some encouragement!!

T

TerrifiedWelshie

Hey, some of you may have read my previous post a few weeks ago. I'm 25 and have only been twice in my life. I have such a fear and have put this off for years. I have most if the symptoms of periodontitis (although my gums have never bled and aren't painful) and most of my teeth have cavities or something wrong with them. I probably have 2/3 healthy ish teeth if I'm lucky.
I've never been the best at brushing (always once a day but usually never twice until a couple of months ago - now it's 3 or 4 times a day!) And I have never flossed in my life.

So nervous for tomorrow, I don't want to be scolded and I also don't want the dentist to make anything worse! I'm worried that a few of my front teeth top and bottom are slightly mobile and I don't want the dentist to pull or prod at them to check and end up actually making them looser! I'm so worried!

I know not going will only make the situation worse in the long run (or perhaps even the short run, they're really not in good shape!) But I'm so petrified I'm worried I won't end up going through with it. Or I won't go back :(

Last edited:
You've come a long way getting to this point. Well done.

Good luck tomorrow. My guess and hope is that it will go well.

In the unlikely event they give you a hard time, here is my suggestion:

Decide right now, beforehand, what your criteria for standing up to them will be, and what you will say.

For example, if your sense of being uncomfortable is a 6 on a scale of 1 to 10, you may say "I am uncomfortable with this. I'd like to take a break from this action." Whatever works for you. Then, if it happens (again, unlikely) you can just do what you've already decided to do.

Just my recommendation!

You'll do great. You've already done wonderfully. You're an inspiration. Let us know how it goes.

You will absolutely do great!

And don't be afraid to tell the dentist not only that you're scared but that you are afraid of/really can't take being scolded. Being direct about that kind of thing usually smooths over a lot of rough edges.

And dont' forget. You are PAYING THEM. That dentist works for you.

You will absolutely do great!

And don't be afraid to tell the dentist not only that you're scared but that you are afraid of/really can't take being scolded. Being direct about that kind of thing usually smooths over a lot of rough edges.

And dont' forget. You are PAYING THEM. That dentist works for you.

I’m happy to see you have adapted this attitude Becky! Good for you!?

Hi TerrifiedWelshie,

I came across your older thread a couple of days ago, and I have the same sort of dental health situation as you going on. I have some tips just in case you happen to read this before the appointment:

- Take something to squeeze with you. A stress ball is good, a fidget dice is great (personal experience). It just helps to have something to direct tension towards and helps you to ground yourself if you feel stress. My dentist did not have an issue with this at all.

- Make sure you discuss a sign to say that you want a break, especially if you feel OK enough to let them take a look. Additionally, make sure you discuss everything you want to discuss - whether it's that certain things they might do will make you feel really uncomfortable right now and you know you can't take it, issues you want to talk through, etc.

- I think Dg6300's point about having a plan of what to say will really help - write those thoughts down. And remember that principally, you are there for help.

- Leave yourself things to do after the appointment like laundry, changing the bed, having a shower etc, because it'll help you process what happened at the appointment. The first appointment looks scary, but life continues after the appointment, and hopefully you'll feel much better after alleviating your fears to someone is willing to help you. I certainly did.

Wishing you the best! Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
I was you on Friday! I was so scared.

But now I am SO GLAD I went. My dentist did not judge me at ALL and said, "You're here now. That's all that matters."

Hey, some of you may have read my previous post a few weeks ago. I'm 25 and have only been twice in my life. I have such a fear and have put this off for years. I have most if the symptoms of periodontitis (although my gums have never bled and aren't painful) and most of my teeth have cavities or something wrong with them. I probably have 2/3 healthy ish teeth if I'm lucky.
I've never been the best at brushing (always once a day but usually never twice until a couple of months ago - now it's 3 or 4 times a day!) And I have never flossed in my life.

So nervous for tomorrow, I don't want to be scolded and I also don't want the dentist to make anything worse! I'm worried that a few of my front teeth top and bottom are slightly mobile and I don't want the dentist to pull or prod at them to check and end up actually making them looser! I'm so worried!

I know not going will only make the situation worse in the long run (or perhaps even the short run, they're really not in good shape!) But I'm so petrified I'm worried I won't end up going through with it. Or I won't go back :(

Hello there! I hope your appt goes as smooth as possible for you. You have already done the hardest part ie; making that first call. I truly hope you find a caring person in the dentist you see tomorrow. I also waited and waited to get treatment and I know know I just complicated things for myself in the long run. A good dentist will partner with you as to how best to get things started. Know people on this site know that fear too. Lots of us are sending you tons of good thoughts You got this. One step at a time

Thank you all so much! My appointment is in 1 hour! I'm filled with dread but I know I need to do this!
Really appreciate all of your replies, it means so much to me x

Okay... soo.. I need 3 extractions and about 4 fillings, and a deep clean. I'm having my fillings first in a couple of weeks and they'll clean sections as they go.
Then once my teeth have healed all bit ill have my extractions. I think that's what they said I was quite emotional because I actually DON'T have periodontitis!!! Only gingivitis which they said should clear up after my treatment!
I'm so relieved I went.
Thank you all for your support.

Now I just need to get through the extractions!! I'll be awake too so I'm crapping myself!

You are a star! Congrats at getting through that apt. Sounds like you also have a plan. You’ve done so well. There will always be peaks and valleys but we will all get thru with a little support. Don’t be afraid to ask questions when you need to. I think I had asked so many my dentist kinda figured out how to make me calmer as we worked thru my issues. I still use gas when I even get a filling that stuff has been a godsend for me. Was something I had never tried before. Helped me through the rocky parts. You hang in there. Let us know how you are progressing. And good for you for taking these steps !

Congratulations on your success! We are all proud of you. Hope your onward journey continues to go well XX

That is great news. Certainly a lot better than you were expecting! Are you getting a partial to fill the gap from the extractions?

Back