• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First Dental Visit in 10 plus years

• Thread starter DentalScaredyCat
  • Start date
D

DentalScaredyCat

Hi,
I am 28 (29 tomorrow) I haven't been to the dentist for a cleaning in 10 plus years. I have been to the dentist 5 or so years ago because my wisdom were impacted and had to get them removed. I had IV sedation and didn't feel or remember a thing. I remember the dentist looking at my x-rays and commenting how well my teeth looked. I have a very real fear of the dentist and haven't been since (I had a family hygienist who made fun of my family and would try endlessly to get us to come to her and get a cleaning. She would gossip about other family member's teeth while getting mine cleaned.). I have an appointment next month for a cleaning. I mustered up the courage to call and make an appointment after scrolling through this website. I have moderate amount to a lot of tartar coating the back of my front teeth. I am worried that the hygienist is going to scrape off the large amount of tartar and my teeth will need to be extracted. I have no visible roots showing but the tartar on the back of my teeth have me worried they might need to be extracted (pictures attached). I am planning on becoming a university professor someday and have a fear of having a denture at such a young age.

Attachments

• tempImageovCwNR.png
    tempImageovCwNR.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 42
  • tempImage5q3T8v.png
    tempImage5q3T8v.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 42
Losing teeth through gum disease is a late middle aged person's issue, your gums don't look bad and there is zero risk of you losing these teeth in the foreseeable future.
Since I've personally made them for them, I can assure you that several very senior university professors have false teeth :)

@Gordon Thank you so much for putting my mind at ease! I was worried about the amount of tartar build up on the back of my teeth in the picture. I didn't take oral health very serious in my teens and early twenties but, I want to start taking it seriously now.

Back