• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First ever tooth extraction - help!

Z

zdarlight

Hi all, one of my worst fears came true at my checkup today, my dentist's told me I need to get a tooth pulled :cry:

It's an upper wisdom tooth, and although it came through completely fine about 15 years ago, it's now got a cavity in it. My dentist (who I really trust thankfully!!) has said he could just put a filling in it, but the tooth is quite small and not properly formed, and he can't guarantee the filling will be successful - it's likely I'd need to get the tooth re-filled or extracted in a few years anyway. He's said it would be a really simple extraction, and I'd only need a 30 minute appointment - which is a little comforting, but I'm still terrified.

I've pretty much decided to just avoid the stress in the future and get it extracted now, but need someone to talk me through the procedure, particularly details of what to expect afterwards. I have Aspergers and OCD and get really stressed about things not being normal, so stuff I've read about bleeding, having gauze in your mouth, not being able to eat normally, and the healing process in general are really freaking me out.

I know it's probably the best thing to do, and it's not even going to happen for at least a month, but I'm already stressing a lot :shame: Any information and experiences would be really great, thanks!

I had IV sedation. Remembered nothing! I had two other teeth removed. Very simple. all you feel is pressure for a minute and its done you just have to bite down on gauze for a day. Wisdom teeth i think they take out in peaces but you will not feel a thing. Eve tho i had IV sedation it took less than 10 minutes I believe. They numb you so you don't feel it and they usually give you antibiotics and pain pills prescription

I just had an extra wisdom tooth removed a few weeks ago. Mine was also small and malformed, but it had not cone through my gums. It still only took about 20 minutes, including the time to stitch it up. You probably won't need stitches since yours is through the gums.
If yours is smaller, it will likely come out pretty easily, and not break.
The dentist will numb you first, with shots, and then give you a few minutes for the numbing to set in. Then they will move the tooth back and forth with clamps, then pull it out. You will feel pressure, but no pain.

The hardest part for me was the gauze, because mine was way back in my jaw and I have a small mouth. It kept gagging me at first, when they put it in. I readjusted it once I got out to my car, and then it was fine, just annoying. You have to bite down on the gauze for two hours, or until the bleeding stops. You can change out the gauze every half hour if needed. You will be surprised at how quickly the bleeding stops, though. It will seem like it won't ever stop, and then all of a sudden the gauze pad has hardly any blood when you check it.
The first few days, you have to stick to a soft food diet. Stock up on soups, smoothie supplies, jello, oatmeal, etc. By the third day, you should be able to eat more regular foods, chewing on the opposite side of your mouth.
As far as pain, after the numbing wears off, the first day, you will have some discomfort, and some aching. It can take up to a week for the pain to go away. It isn't awful, just a little uncomfortable. I just took ibuprofen. The swelling will be worse on the third day, then start to go down. Keep an ice pack on and off every 15 minutes the first two days, except at night. Sleep with your head propped up until the swelling is gone. That helps with pain.
I really wasn't too bad. I had all four wisdom teeth taken out through surgery (general anesthesia) as a teen. I then had this extra wisdom tooth pop up on an x ray about 8 years ago.

Hi all, one of my worst fears came true at my checkup today, my dentist's told me I need to get a tooth pulled :cry:

It's an upper wisdom tooth, and although it came through completely fine about 15 years ago, it's now got a cavity in it. My dentist (who I really trust thankfully!!) has said he could just put a filling in it, but the tooth is quite small and not properly formed, and he can't guarantee the filling will be successful - it's likely I'd need to get the tooth re-filled or extracted in a few years anyway. He's said it would be a really simple extraction, and I'd only need a 30 minute appointment - which is a little comforting, but I'm still terrified.

I've pretty much decided to just avoid the stress in the future and get it extracted now, but need someone to talk me through the procedure, particularly details of what to expect afterwards. I have Aspergers and OCD and get really stressed about things not being normal, so stuff I've read about bleeding, having gauze in your mouth, not being able to eat normally, and the healing process in general are really freaking me out.

I know it's probably the best thing to do, and it's not even going to happen for at least a month, but I'm already stressing a lot :shame: Any information and experiences would be really great, thanks!

I had an extraction with just local anaesthetic and no sedation a couple of years back and can honestly say it was painless and totally fine. And I had dreaded it and didn't know what to expect at all. (I'm not diagnosed but probably also a bit autistic as my son has atypical autism and I have pretty well all the same characteristics that got him diagnosed....)

Also it was totally painless afterwards. No discomfort - nothing. I have had other extractions with IV and years ago with general, and also had no pain after, not even after a surgical extraction where they seemed to cut away part of my jaw.

The blood clots quickly, and I got back to eating normally in a couple of days.

I had my upper left wisdom tooth extracted last year - I had infection in the gum round about it. I took a course of antibiotics, returned to the dentist a week later, and she said the tooth should be extracted, and I could either come back for another appointment, or have her do it there and then. I knew I would work myself up horribly, so said to do it then. This is what happened:

5.15 - start of appointment, she examined me, and we discussed the options. I agreed to have the tooth pulled. I was really scared!
5.20 - the nurse held my hand, and the dentist injected me in the roof of my mouth (that hurt) and round the side of the tooth. She checked to see if I was numb, then told the nurse to go home.
5.25 - the tooth was out. It was like twisting the lid off a bottle. I felt absolutely nothing, and was amazed when she asked if I wanted to see it. I bit on some gauze, checked my face in the mirror, and was on my way - I couldn’t pay because it was an extra late appointment after normal hours.
7pm - I ate a normal dinner. My jaw was a bit sore, and I took a couple of ibuprofen. No more bleeding.
11pm - went to bed, I slept on an extra pillow but I am not really sure why I did this.

The next day I feel a bit tender, but went off to work as normal. I rang in and paid for the extraction with my debit card when I got there. I had no swelling in my face. I am a lecturer and had a full day of classes. i told my students about my tooth and they were all very sympathetic! I ate meals as normal, and made up a salt water rinse with sachets of salt from the canteen to swill my mouth with afterwards - I did this for seven days, until my follow-up appointment, at which point the dentist told me it was healing perfectly, and there was no need any more.

If it helps, my dentist told me she had the same tooth extracted by a colleague, then carried straight on treating her patients for the rest of the day! You will be grand.

Back