• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Will root canal tooth ever feel the same?

K

Ktooth

About a year ago, I had three root canals. Two top molars and a bottom molar. The bottom molar ended up having to be extracted because the pain came back even after root canal and retreatment didn’t work. My top left molar feels perfectly fine and hasn’t given me any problems since I had my crown placed, but my top right molar occasionally hurts for days at a time and then seems to just go away. It doesn’t feel like the pain I was in before the root canal, and it’s not sensitive to hot or cold, it just feels really sore almost as if pressing on a bruise. I told my endodontist and she took an X-ray but said everything looked good and suggested that maybe I’m grinding my teeth at night. Even if that’s the case, why would only that one tooth hurt? Could this be normal? Will the tooth ever feel the way it used to again?

Hi,

Root canal treatment should not change your sensation as you described them. I am positive about it.
The cause of your complain might not be the root canal treatment but the restoration above it, whether a crown or a filling. Sometimes there are some leftovers of materials we dentists use such as cement or bonding which sits in the gum and mechanically irritate the gum (like having a tiny stone in your shoe).
Did you have a cleaning since? that might do the trick.

Hi,

Root canal treatment should not change your sensation as you described them. I am positive about it.
The cause of your complain might not be the root canal treatment but the restoration above it, whether a crown or a filling. Sometimes there are some leftovers of materials we dentists use such as cement or bonding which sits in the gum and mechanically irritate the gum (like having a tiny stone in your shoe).
Did you have a cleaning since? that might do the trick.
That makes sense...thanks! I’m actually having a cleaning tomorrow so I’ll mention the pain to my dentist and see what he recommends. Fingers crossed...

Back