• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First Tooth Abscess and Now an extraction??

F

Freakin13

Soo... hi there. New here. Dental phobe since 1985. Just went in for my first dental visit in 5 years and I have an abscessed tooth and the option of a root canal or an extraction.
Since it is the last top right molar I am leaning towards an extraction since it seems like it would be a little easier than a root canal? Sounds kind of odd but I just want to be in that chair for as little time as possible.
This is a new dentist and I wanted to explain all my issues to her but was too embarrassed to. She did sense I was a little uneasy though and gave me a prescription for a sedative to take a half an hour before hand and then give me the gas.
I'm a little wary of taking pills but am thinking that would actually be best. A little more sketchy about it since the past 2 antibiotics they have given me for the abscess part I have had an allergic reaction to.
So... can someone tell me what the best choice is? Root canal or extraction? And what did either of those feel like? And how scary was it? lol
All info and advice is greatly appreciated!!

A root canal without complications will get you quite a few more years with the tooth in place. The procedure itself isn't too bad - you shouldn't feel a thing, but you are in the chair for a while as it takes time to get the roots out of the tooth. If you can handle a filling, you'll probably be okay with a root canal. There is a poster to this forum, his name is Robotguy - he just had a root canal if I'm not mistaken, and he details his experience in his journal. Look through the journal section and find his, if you'd like.

An extraction can be simple or complicated, it really depends on the root of the tooth. There will be soreness for a few days afterwards, but once the healing really kicks in, and the tenderness goes away, it's relief. You'll never have to worry about that tooth again.

It is really a personal preference, on what you want for your mouth, and what kind of pain you can deal with, and how long you can deal with being in the chair.

Give this post a few days on here though, a lot of people don't post on the weekends. You'll probably get more responses after a few days. Good luck to you, in whichever route you decide to go.

Thank you for the feedback!
I have a pretty high tolerance for pain but HATE the thought of someone rooting around in my mouth. I hate being numb, hate the tools, the smell, the sounds, etc...
I'm just worried about having a total meltdown in the middle of the procedure and bookin it outta there. lol.

I had a similar situation many years ago and went for the root filling. Extractions for me are something I cannot think about and would rather spend all day in the Chair than have someone pull my teeth.

That said, a root filling isn't a great deal different than a ordinary filling, just takes a little longer.

But that's just my preference.

:thumbsup:

Root canals can be more complicated on molars because you can have hidden roots and they are harder to clean out because they are so far back in your mouth, so molars have a higher fail rate as far as root canals go.

I had the last molar, top and left side removed a while ago. It was not nearly as bad as I expected, and it was a complicated extraction because half of the tooth was rotted away, the dentist couldnt get a proper grip on it.
The whole procedure took about 30 mins ( complicated remember) But usually it can take as little as 5 minutes!! I diddnt have anything as far as gas or pills. It really was not as bad as I thought. Going in and doing it really helped me with my fear.

I sent you a more detailed message about my experience and I hope it helps you out.

Good luck.

Hi, there is no correct answer to this, it's something you must discuss with the dentist. Get all the facts before deciding.

An extraction can be very quick and easy, or if you have long twisted roots and thick bone, then it's going to be a bit harder and take longer to do.

A root canal is like a filling, but into the much softer part of the tooth so there is not so much noise. It does take a while to do but it's nowhere near as 'physical' as taking a tooth out.

I've had both recently, for me I would take a root canal over a filling every time. An extraction is one of the main triggers that started my phobia. Having an RCT even if I have the tooth removed after a few years helps in my mind that I will have done everything I could to save the tooth. (Plus dental techniques will have moved on by then so who knows what super new procedures will be available to us, bionic teeth with lasers hopefully, lol).

I do go into some detail in my journal if you feel up to reading it, I know that I couldn't read the journals for a long time after finding this site, but writing one is so helpful, anyway its here if you want: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/f...wed-this-phobia-to-rule-me-for-too-long.8021/ - Page 6 has extractions on it, page 7 the RCT.

Last edited:
i'd say root canal, wouldn't you rather try and save the tooth? i've had root canal and its not bad at all!! just like a filling.. good luck :)

I haven't been around here in ages but popped in and saw this thread.

I had what I think is the same tooth out almost a year ago; the only reason I didn't try to save it was purely financial. I would have liked to have tried to keep it, though I don't regret the decision I made. The actual procedure was basically painless but it did take about forty-five minutes; somebody said something about difficult roots, which it had.

That being said, it was the back tooth and I'm perfectly fine without it. But if you have the financial wherewithal I'd say it's worth trying to save it.

Well... in either case, I had the appointment yesterday and couldn't go through with it.
I got a little freaked out and just couldn't do it. The dentist had given me some valium to take before hand and I didn't take it. I don't like to take pills if I don't have to. I thought I'd brave it and have some gas and be good. But.... I had the gas and it wasn't good. I was all up in my head thinking crazy things.. I even let them shoot me up and was ONE tiny shot away from starting the procedure when I panicked and said to stop.

So... Now I have to go back and try it all over again. ANd I REALLY don't want to. I was hoping to have this all done and not have to deal with it anymore.

The reason I was going with the extraction is that my thought process is that I will never have to deal with the tooth again. It is the very last one and no one will ever know it is gone. After all the pain I had from the abcess I don't want to do that again.

I know just how you feel. :XXLhug:. I've been there, just not been able to go through with it. I opted for the RCT instead, yes it took longer but it was so much less physical.

I really had to push myself when I had the infected tooth taken out two weeks before that. I had been telling myself for a couple of weeks beforehand that this tooth was BAD! it was infected, it would hurt me again, the infection could spread, basically I convinced myself that it was just nasty and I wanted it gone. I still took a lot of steling mysself before I could do it though.

On the positive side you stood up for what you wanted. You were in control. The dentist did listen to you and stop. You were not pressurised to have something done that you didn't want. These are all major concerns that set the phobia off in many people and you disproved them. This really is an empowering thing for you. Don't think of it as a failure.

You need to talk to the dentist about your options. You need to know all the facts to help you make the right decision and go through with it. Having the knoweledge is going to help you. Don't be embarrassed to do this, it is what you need to do.

Stay strong and don't beat yourself up over this, we all understand and don't judge you, we just want to offer support to you.:XXLhug:

Thanks Robot Guy. I'm trying to go easy on me but it is hard. lol.

I think that I'm going to have to go to an oral surgeon. I don't think I have the guts to go back in there and be awake while they're taking a tooth out. That is what is freaking me out right now.

The dentist and people were all super nice. They understood and told me to shush as I apologized 19 times and told them I wasn't trying to be high maintenance. lol.

Back