• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth Abscess After Extraction

N

Normstar

Hi. For some time I've had a real fear of dentists to the the point where my teeth become really bad. I've recently bit the bullet and started to have treatment which upto now has gone really well.

However my dentist has previously tried to take out my lower back tooth on 3 different occasions however the anesthetic was not working because of a tooth abscess. I have been on 2 different courses of antibiotics and today dentist managed to extract the tooth, it was however really painful at the time.

I'm in no real pain at the moment and I may be panicking over morning but I'm worried that the dentist didn't drain the abscess either before or after Extraction. I can on occasion taste the horrible gunk that comes out. Will this heal ok or is it likely to get worse as it was not drained? It seems from all my reading most people recommend having an abscess drained.

Many thanks in advance

The abscess drains out through the extraction socket, you've already said you're tasting it.

Well done for getting through it!

Back