• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First trip to the dentist in almost 7 years is tomorrow

T

tiredofbeingscared

I can't believe tomorrow is the day. I finally picked up the phone and called a dentist after almost 7 years avoiding going. Unfortunately, it took a bit of a dental emergency (cusp of a tooth came off...due to decay). I really hate that it took something so dramatic to get me to pick up the phone, but I'm looking at it as a blessing in disguise. I'm so very, very tired of being scared and especially of being embarrassed. I think the embarrassment has actually eclipsed the fear for me.

My fear came about due to having 3-4 fillings needed at every 6 month dentist visit starting in my mid-20s. I gave up soda and worked hard on my dental hygiene, but the dentist told me it was actually damage done when I was a child that was just now cropping up. Nothing I could do about it. And I'm one of those people that the anesthesia doesn't always work well on so fillings were often painful.

Then I moved cities. Then I had a baby. Time slipped away from me; I blinked and it had been 2 years. And then I started the "put it off" dance with myself that I managed to not feel too bad about until year 5. But for the last year and a half I have quickly turned the corner to becoming extremely embarrassed and downright horrified at how I have just refused to take care of my teeth by being under the care of a dentist.

Enough is enough. The energy it takes to worry about this is greater than the pain/embarrassment I'll have tomorrow to show my teeth to a dentist. I know there are dozens of cavities, and a few of them are quite bad. I will need an extensive treatment plan. But when I think about being on the other side of this fear, it feels like a tremendous weight off of my shoulders. So I'm ready.

But of course, I'm also scared out of my mind. Could definitely use some encouragement. I only recently realized that there are so many people out there who are scared of the dentist like me. I thought I was super unusual in that way. I don't wish this fear on anyone else, but at the same time, it does help to know that I'm not alone. Thanks for your encouragement. Any specific tips for me? This dentist is known to work with patients with anxiety so I am expecting a positive environment.

Good luck at the dentist. I have a check up tomorrow (I go every three months) but still hate my teeth, going to dentist (it not the person for me) it just the whole dental thing I dread. I have had problems with my teeth over the years due to soda, sweets and possibly too much toothpaste. I got a difficult mouth to clean.

It good that the dentist seems to know how to deal with people with anxiety, my dentist knows I worry so it good.

I remember when I was a child I fell in the playground probably harmed my teeth, did not need any emergecy treatment doing but may have made my teeth weaker and added

I can't believe tomorrow is the day. I finally picked up the phone and called a dentist after almost 7 years avoiding going.

How'd it go? I just went today after 5-6 years of not going.

Hi tiredofbeingscared, How did the visit goes? I hope you keep sharing your experiences..

Back