• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Flipper and food

D

dbubblisious

Can food become entrapped in or under the flipper. Is there anyway to prevent food from being entrapped under my flipper? I have no choice but to carefully chew with it due to other missing and broken teeth.

When I had my flipper, I had that issue. I would excuse myself right after eating and give it a quick rinse in the bathroom sink.
I found that applying some denture adhesive like poly grip to the plate (mine was a top one) helped prevent food from getting under as easily. I was advised not to use much, and just a little worked well.

The gaps from the other missing/broken teeth won't help either, assuming the same arch as the denture is in?

@MountainMama how much did you apply? I just got my flipper today and overall I’m ok with it. Drinking isn’t hard but eating is a nightmare. I’m scared I’m going to choke or move my tongue wrong and it fall out.

Top denture? Make a little smiley face on the palate : - 2 dots on the bit nearest the back and one dot in the front in the middle. Each dot just a couple of mm across do NOT smear the stuff all over the denture surface.
Bottom denture? One dot at each "saddle" the bit that the false tooth sits on, but adhesive doesn't work so well on lower dentures.

@MountainMama how much did you apply? I just got my flipper today and overall I’m ok with it. Drinking isn’t hard but eating is a nightmare. I’m scared I’m going to choke or move my tongue wrong and it fall out.
Yes, like Gordon said…not too much. It is always easier to start with a little bit and add more if needed later.

@Gordon it’s a top! Thank you!

Back