• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Flipper bite is off, can it wait?

M

MountainMama

I just got the front tooth extracted, and bone grafting (and implant put in) yesterday. The oral surgeon put the flipper in yesterday but then it fell out when the nurse was doing an x ray to check the implants. She kind of shoved it back in quickly.

I was numb and couldn't feel anything, so I don't know if I am wearing it wrong or if the flipper tooth is too far back, but it hits my lower tooth (which is pushed forward due to crowding), and my molars don't touch.

Can I put it off for a while, or will ot hurt the flipper or grafting area? They told me that the surgeon adjusted the flipper yesterday to leave a gap between the tooth and gums.

I am so sore and swollen that I do not want to go to my dentist yet. I am not chewing anything either.

The swelling might be interfering with the fit somewhat which won’t be helping. The main thing is to make sure that it’s not rubbing anywhere near the implant area.

It would probably be worth getting it checked - there shouldn’t be anything uncomfortable needing done in the mouth, if anything it’ll just be the denture needing adjusted.

The other option would be to wear the denture as little as possible over the next couple of days whilst the swelling subsides and then see how it is.

The swelling might be interfering with the fit somewhat which won’t be helping. The main thing is to make sure that it’s not rubbing anywhere near the implant area.

It would probably be worth getting it checked - there shouldn’t be anything uncomfortable needing done in the mouth, if anything it’ll just be the denture needing adjusted.

The other option would be to wear the denture as little as possible over the next couple of days whilst the swelling subsides and then see how it is.

Thanks for the reply. The oral surgeon said to wear it especially during the swelling as I may not be able to get it back in if I take it out. I will call the dentist today. The swelling is much worse this morning. My lips and cheek are probably 3x normal size. I have been using ice packs and was told to switch to moist heat today.

I just don't want anyone touching my mouth at all right now.

I called and the dentist said to wait until the swelling went down before I come in. He said to leave it in but be very careful to not put my teeth together if I can avoid it. He doesn't want to adjust until after the swelling is down.

I called and the dentist said to wait until the swelling went down before I come in. He said to leave it in but be very careful to not put my teeth together if I can avoid it. He doesn't want to adjust until after the swelling is down.
Sounds like a good plan ??

I went in today and the dentist adjusted it so that I can put my teeth together without bumping the flipper now. My upper lip and gums are still quite swollen but the gums around the implant and graft have gone down.

Back