• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Found an amazing dentist but still scared about all the work that needs done :( HELP!

C

Chels

Found an amazing dentist but still scared about all the work that needs done :( HELP!

I am 22 I had not been to the dentist in almost 14 years since I was 8 years old. My mom left my family when I was little for another man and she was the one who took care of these things so after that I never went my dad never took me because everyone was pretty devastated, I had bad experiences when I was a child and had to be given things to calm me down and make me completely sick for the rest of the day....and the dentist wasn't very nice either. Which made it even worse. I have 3 teeth that are broken to the gumline..I got pregnant at 19 and after I had my beautiful little boy my teeth got even worse. Those 3 teeth broke down even more. So finally, I got the courage to make a dentist appt because I can't stand being depressed anymore about this issue! My aunt is going with me for support. So April 20th, 2013. I had my very first dental appt. since I was a little girl & met an amazing young lady dentist who was so caring & respectful. She told me I have 10 cavitites and 3 teeth that will need pulled. My heart sank..because I just feel so bad about this. I am only 22!! She did say that this really is good for not having any dental work done in 14 years so she told me that everything will be okay & can be fixed she told me she wants to build up my confidence and lets do a cleaning first. So I did and it went extremely well. Everyone was so nice there. So after that I scheduled my first cavity filling since age 8 with no anxiety medicine or nitrous oxide. So my appt was for May 1st I went in. And cried because I was so scared but the dentist put a numbing gel on my gum and told me to close my eyes. & the most important thing was I trusted her, I really did. So I listened ( something I would never do) I am the biggest baby normally I would just run out. I didn't and in the end it was not bad at all! She was only going to do 1 filling and i told her to go ahead and do the other! :)
It turned out to be nothing bad at all. Seriously I did this all for my son who is about to be 2 and I don't want him to see mommy being scared I want him to be proud of me. I have 8 more cavities to be filled & the 3 teeth pulled. The reason I am here, is because the teeth that need pulled - I AM TERRIFIED how this is going to feel and how she will get them out. They are completely broken past the gum. AND I REFUSE TO BE PUT TO SLEEP FOR THIS. I am finally overcoming this huge fear of mine and I want to do this & need to do this. I am just so scared. I trust my dentist completely. She makes me feel safe & I am just so glad I found her. I just cant get past these broken off teeth. Please anyone help me, tell me about how she can get these out or how this will feel even being numb, I am just so scared. I am so proud of myself I thought i'd be dead before I would ever actually go to the dentist. I still can't believe I went through a cavity filling....my next appt is may 15th for more fillings.

Re: Found an amazing dentist but still scared about all the work that needs done :( HELP!

I don't know you but I would like to say I am proud of you, it's a huge deal to take the first step to overcome this fear and you are on your way. Congrats and be proud of yourself !!!! As for the teeth being pulled I too am afraid and don't want to be put out, I don't know whats worse the fear of being put out or the teeth removal! From what I have read about teeth being pulled, is they numb you so you feel zero pain just like with a filling and then they will get the teeth out, they don't yank out teeth! They usually rock them very gently then they are loose enough that they come out with ease, as with yours, they will section the tooth maybe and you won't feel this at all, and then take tiny tools to get your roots out, seems like you only have them left. Some say this is easier and quicker. You will feel no pain at all, none. I hope this helps you, I too am scared and I believe it's more the unknown people are afraid of, we don't know what to expect feel, etc. From people I have talked to that have had teeth pulled they tell me it's a breeze and sometimes takes maybe 10 mins which can be less time than a filling! My last filling on my front tooth took almost an hour, I had three cavities on it and they had to reshape my whole tooth because after they drilled it not a whole lot was left! I used to not be able to even get a filling done until I got to the point that I was sick of not smiling and has a hole in my front tooth that had to go! I am young and deserve to smile and feel confident so do you! I need 2 pulled and 15 or so fillings for neglecting my teeth with a dentist for about 12 years and I regret it because if I would've faced my fears years ago I wouldn't need all these teeth pulled and drilled, its my fault but it can only go uphill from here. I hope you will feel better about getting this done. Try reading the success stories on here about teeth being pulled, true stories of others who did it and they say how it wasn't so bad or was actually ok or easy! Its great to read about others it can give you encouragement! I am glad you found a trusting dentist, I believe fear is one thing but to have someone you trust and feel safe with is key to tolerating dental work. The more you see your dentist and have good experiences the more you will trust!:) I wish you the best and hope you find peace in knowing you will be ok having teeth pulled! You can do it

Re: Found an amazing dentist but still scared about all the work that needs done :( HELP!

I don't know you but I would like to say I am proud of you, it's a huge deal to take the first step to overcome this fear and you are on your way. Congrats and be proud of yourself !!!! As for the teeth being pulled I too am afraid and don't want to be put out, I don't know whats worse the fear of being put out or the teeth removal! From what I have read about teeth being pulled, is they numb you so you feel zero pain just like with a filling and then they will get the teeth out, they don't yank out teeth! They usually rock them very gently then they are loose enough that they come out with ease, as with yours, they will section the tooth maybe and you won't feel this at all, and then take tiny tools to get your roots out, seems like you only have them left. Some say this is easier and quicker. You will feel no pain at all, none. I hope this helps you, I too am scared and I believe it's more the unknown people are afraid of, we don't know what to expect feel, etc. From people I have talked to that have had teeth pulled they tell me it's a breeze and sometimes takes maybe 10 mins which can be less time than a filling! My last filling on my front tooth took almost an hour, I had three cavities on it and they had to reshape my whole tooth because after they drilled it not a whole lot was left! I used to not be able to even get a filling done until I got to the point that I was sick of not smiling and has a hole in my front tooth that had to go! I am young and deserve to smile and feel confident so do you! I need 2 pulled and 15 or so fillings for neglecting my teeth with a dentist for about 12 years and I regret it because if I would've faced my fears years ago I wouldn't need all these teeth pulled and drilled, its my fault but it can only go uphill from here. I hope you will feel better about getting this done. Try reading the success stories on here about teeth being pulled, true stories of others who did it and they say how it wasn't so bad or was actually ok or easy! Its great to read about others it can give you encouragement! I am glad you found a trusting dentist, I believe fear is one thing but to have someone you trust and feel safe with is key to tolerating dental work. The more you see your dentist and have good experiences the more you will trust!:) I wish you the best and hope you find peace in knowing you will be ok having teeth pulled! You can do it

Thank you for your kind words! I just hope i can do it! I made it this far I don't want to stop now. Good luck with your teeth! I know once we both get through this we will be so happy we did it :) but like you said I wish I wouldn't have waited this long because I wouldn't have to be going through all of this right now. I'm just going to keep praying that I can get through this!

Once you get back to being healthy orally the appointments will get easier and easier because there will be very little or nothing to be done. You will just be on the 6 month check ups. Any problems will be found before they get too bad and they will very easily be corrected.

Good luck to you both :clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::)

Back