• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Frightened over gum abscess.

W

woooried

There is an abscess above my broken right eye tooth that has been there since Thursday (maybe longer, but that's when I discovered it) I did go to dentist Monday and they gave me antibiotics. It's been 48 hours since I started taking the antibiotics and the swelling still hasn't gone down.

I have an appointment for September 11th. Will this abscess go septic by then or will I be ok. My dentist seems to think I will be ok. But, I am hearing so much scary stuff on google.

Also hearing scary stuff about antibiotic resistance and the Novocain not taking when they remove my tooth (I don't have money for a root canal) How much should I buy into the stuff being said. Or is it just fear mongering?

I hate to bump it myself. And, I hate to be a bother. But, I am having bad panic attacks over this.

Can someone please reassure me that I have time on this?

Also. I keep worrying about endocarditis or it being in my lungs or brain. This isn't even painful. I just have it in my head that the antibiotics are not working and I don't have long.

Hi,

I can't really give you any specific advice on your particular situation. But there is a sticky post in the FAQ section that covers the same question you are asking about abscesses that has a dentist's response. Maybe that would help calm your fears a little.

Also, please take what you read online with a pinch of salt. Those are not common and usually make it to the internet because they are rare and hence are good for case studies. I would also suggest not to google too much. I personally have health anxiety and have found that googling and makes things worse and made me more confused. :(

Give the antibiotics some time to work. Different people respond differently, perhaps your body just needs a bit more time to heal. Hope you feel better soon.

I am sorry you are going through this, I hope it gets better for you and the swelling goes down to give you some peace and relief! I do agree with grumpybear , to take the online info with grain of salt. I used to you tube a lot and google and I told my dentist this. he said something that made sense.. that youtube and google cannot see your teeth.. your dentist can.. and there is alot that doesn't apply,, only your dentist will know what does when they look at your teeth. This is so true.. I spent hours and hours on youtube frightening myself and catastrophizing. believe me.. aghh. its tempting.. When is the last time you spoke with your dentist.? Is it a possiblity if they won't see you to go into an emergency dentist to have them look at it before just to give you peace of mind?

My insurance won't cover an emergency dentist. Or, I would go. I am extremely broke. I had to go into the hole just to go the dentist the other day as my insurance didn't pay for it all.

I think a lot of this is my Health Anxiety. Breathing heavily: Well, it's gone to my heart. Lots of mucus: It's gone to my lungs. Dizzy and Anxious..everything is feeling like a dream: Well. It's gone into my brain. And, on and on.

My anxiety is giving me symptoms and I am jumping the gun that it is something horrible.

True. Only my dentist could actually see what was going on. But, I have trust issues and I'm not a regular patient of this dentist. So, I'm jumping to...they are out to kill me.

Can you call or email tomorrow if the swelling doesn't go down and just say you are scared and want to be reasssured it is ok? from what I understand alot of dental offices have certain appts they save just for emergencies.. I understand too the financial part of it is hard, when you don't have it you don't have it.. its SO hard!! I really hope it gets better and hangs on.. or they somehow get you in and help.

I am gonna try.

But, my silly insurance probably won't cover it. It covers one appointment a month.

I hate that Labor Day weekend is coming up. Also, my dentist is closed on Tuesday. So, closest I can get in is Wednesday probably.

I dont even think they can pull it until the infection is gone. And, they didn't give me enough antibiotics to last until my appointment. So, it might come back after not taking them for a few days. And, then they may not be able to pull if it comes back.

Or, is that an old tale that they cannot pull with an infection.

Last edited:
My mom and stepdad told me that sometimes the bump doesn't go down. Even if the antibiotics are working. Is this true?

I am gonna try.

But, my silly insurance probably won't cover it. It covers one appointment a month.

I hate that Labor Day weekend is coming up. Also, my dentist is closed on Tuesday. So, closest I can get in is Wednesday probably.

I dont even think they can pull it until the infection is gone. And, they didn't give me enough antibiotics to last until my appointment. So, it might come back after not taking them for a few days. And, then they may not be able to pull if it comes back.

Or, is that an old tale that they cannot pull with an infection.

It's an old wive's tale that you can't extract a tooth with an infection, you only need 4-5 days of antibiotics for a complete course.
Assuming you're youngish and in good health and that you're not in pain, there's no reason why you can't wait a couple of weeks for the extraction.

I'm 31. Pretty good health other than I have a bite on my leg from my cat (he's a mean little guy) and I have insomnia, OCD and health anxiety. And, I'm not in pain. This is on my gum though. At the top of the tooth. Still ok?

I guess I should be ok. Thanks for answering. I have to call my dentist today anyways. That antibiotic she put me on is giving me diarrhea and that can turn into C-Diff I heard. So, I'm gonna call her up and see if she wants to switch antibiotics on me. Or, if I should keep on taking these. It's Clindamycin. For The Record.

I called the dentist and none of them are in. Apparently they leave Friday's to the people who just need a cleaning or something.

The receptionist said to just keep an eye on my issues and call my primary care doctor if needed.

I am a little worried about something else. The infection seems to be draining. I can taste this. This won't kill me will it?

Last edited:
woooried;213301 I am a little worried about something else. The infection seems to be draining. I can taste this. This won't kill me will it?[/QUOTE said:
I know the anxiety makes it difficult and these thoughts are coming over and over again, but you won't die of the abscess. Draining is ok, it's your bodies way to deal with it and quite normal. The top of the tooth on the gum is also ok, that's a usual place for an abscess.

Hope your dentist can help you and reassure you today.

The key is see the dentist before it gets bad. I had an abscess once and i waited too long to see a dentist and the swelling got worse with antibiotics they had to cut my cheek and drain the puss out but they were still able to pull the tooth after being on antibiotics a few days and the swelling did eventually go down.

In the future if you get to a dentist as soon as you start to feel pain your antibiotics will work better and you will not have face swelling.

I had a abscess tooth pulled two weeks ago. I got on antibiotics then they extracted the tooth 3 days later. No swelling. I did not mess with it, as soon as i started feeling pain i went ASAP

I was thinking everything was okay today. Now my face feels numb and tingly on the opposite side and the abscess is draining.

I'm extremely scared.

I have been awake for 48 hours with only an hours sleep in between. So, 47 out of the last 48 hours. Could that have something to do with it?

Please try and get some good quality sleep and then see how you feel after that? Your body needs all the rest it could get to heal, and I personally have found that being constantly on the edge and being sleep deprived does makes things worse for me. I often found myself feeling so much better after a good night's sleep. I have also noticed that sometimes not having enough sleep can make the anxiety worse and also seems to heighten my senses not in a good way.

Another thing you can try is to go out and get busy. Watch a movie, talk to a friend, read a book or listen to music. Doing things to distract yourself can help too.

I had such a bad anxiety attack Friday night into yesterday morning that I ended up in the ER. I thought I had sepsis or meningitis because of how my body felt. It was actually an extremely bad panic attack and I have never had one like that before. I still don't feel 100% even after a lot of sleep. I'm still worried. Especially since I took two doses of my antibiotics late today (overslept/didn't hear my alarm) because these anti anxiety pills make me extremely sleepy.

At least you managed to get seen by the doctor and they should have ruled out any lurking or potential serious infections/compilations during your stay at the ER that has been worrying you of late. So at least you can put your fears of that to rest. Now you can just concentrate your energy on resting up and let your body heal.