S
sanarama
Junior member
- Joined
- Feb 14, 2017
- Messages
- 5
For a few years in my 20s, I didn't look after my teeth. I was depressed and generally taking bad care of myself. I was working weird shifts and had no form of routine, which added to matters. I also have psoriasis, which I've read has been linked to gum disease. A few extractions later (and a great dental practice)... I move to another part of the country. It's been a great move, I'm taking better care of myself and I have a wonderful partner.
I took my time actually going to a dentist in my new town. By then my mouth had deteriorated, and one root-canal-treated tooth cracked, taking a bridge with it. Joy. Eventually, the bridge was put on the other side. Then the cracked tooth cracked *again* but required extraction this time (it might have been used as a base for a crown).
Since then, I've watched one of front teeth drop again. I've now been diagnosed as having a gum abscess after being in agony (as luck would have it, over a weekend). I was on antibiotics for 6 days... and my front tooth has shifted further down, the gums receded even more, I'm still in pain and don't think the infection has gone.
I really liked my last dentist but he's no longer able to take NHS appointments and I had a terrible experience with the last one, at my most recent appointment. Admittedly, I'd been lacking sleep and had been in pain for 4 days so I wasn't the easiest patient. He starts talking about how my front tooth will need replaced sooner rather than later, and was trying to discuss this with me whilst I'm near hysterical. Not the time to start talking about dentures.
Sadly, I'm now certain that the tooth will have to come out (though I'm calmer about it). I'm now going to go private as the last experience was brutal, and I have a cheque from a tax rebate that I can use for treatment. I just hope it's not too loose for impressions for getting an immediate denture sorted. I'm just so frustrated at the moment. I've been seeing the dentist regularly for 3 years in this area, not missed an appointment, brush twice a day, and use mouthwash (okay, I could definitely be better at flossing). Previous dentist at the surgery was very encouraging about progress I had made. Now I'm beginning to wonder what the point was. Even worse, I've been waiting on a referral for a periodontist for over 2 years.
Thought I was over losing teeth (for a few years at least!)
I took my time actually going to a dentist in my new town. By then my mouth had deteriorated, and one root-canal-treated tooth cracked, taking a bridge with it. Joy. Eventually, the bridge was put on the other side. Then the cracked tooth cracked *again* but required extraction this time (it might have been used as a base for a crown).
Since then, I've watched one of front teeth drop again. I've now been diagnosed as having a gum abscess after being in agony (as luck would have it, over a weekend). I was on antibiotics for 6 days... and my front tooth has shifted further down, the gums receded even more, I'm still in pain and don't think the infection has gone.
I really liked my last dentist but he's no longer able to take NHS appointments and I had a terrible experience with the last one, at my most recent appointment. Admittedly, I'd been lacking sleep and had been in pain for 4 days so I wasn't the easiest patient. He starts talking about how my front tooth will need replaced sooner rather than later, and was trying to discuss this with me whilst I'm near hysterical. Not the time to start talking about dentures.
Sadly, I'm now certain that the tooth will have to come out (though I'm calmer about it). I'm now going to go private as the last experience was brutal, and I have a cheque from a tax rebate that I can use for treatment. I just hope it's not too loose for impressions for getting an immediate denture sorted. I'm just so frustrated at the moment. I've been seeing the dentist regularly for 3 years in this area, not missed an appointment, brush twice a day, and use mouthwash (okay, I could definitely be better at flossing). Previous dentist at the surgery was very encouraging about progress I had made. Now I'm beginning to wonder what the point was. Even worse, I've been waiting on a referral for a periodontist for over 2 years.
Thought I was over losing teeth (for a few years at least!)
