• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Full Bony Impacted Wisdom With Only Local Anesthesia ~ My Experience

B

BigBossman22

Why hello.

I'll have to rewind about a month ago to begin my story. You probably found this researching on Google, and your anxiety is running a parallel to what mine "was". I was at my General Dentist doing a routine filling when the X-ray pretty much determined that my soreness had nothing to do with a cavity... Nope, at 33 years of age, the Wisdom Teeth in my jaw decided they were going to make an "impact". Sorry for the poor attempt at humor.

You see, my top wisdom teeth were just typical 3rd molars. When they came in, I decided to have them taken out. Here's the thing... I suffer from a General Anxiety Disorder that stems from my College years. Perhaps it was the wacky weed, or maybe it's the "unknown". However, the Dentist is like any other Doctor..... I just have never been told it was my lucky day while visiting. You never show up and they reveal you won a car. So the approach of most people is to avoid them at all costs.

I changed my approach a couple years ago. I go to every Doctor, including Dentist for my scheduled routine checkups. It's come to be a calming rather than nerving experience. I confirm that my situation is under control, and I am always on top of whatever "could happen". Which is why this particular story is anything but happy. It's almost like a Black Mirror episode with no technology, it just doesn't end well.

Anyway back to the story...... My bottom wisdom teeth are identified, my Dentist says she cannot remove them and refers me out to an Oral Surgeon. Well..... I absolutely cannot stand the thought of sedation. While I have conquered my fear of the little things, I refuse to be knocked out. My consultation at the Oral Surgeon reveals that I have FULL BONY IMPACTED WISDOM TEETH, and the preferred slash suggested slash demanded form of extraction is through IV Sedation. I practically had to argue with anyone and everyone who would listen. I mean.... I had my top Wisdom Teeth done without being put to sleep. The local was just fine.... Hit me with the topical gel, then shoot me with the needle and get to yanking and twisting.

I finally convinced my Oral Surgeon. And that's why I felt compelled to come back to the same message board that freaked me out. YouTube/Forums/Blogs/Social Media... They all lead down a rabbit hole. You will cause yourself unnecessary stress either way you look at this. My Wisdom Tooth was on the nerve line. It was vertically impacted and was looked at by 3 different Surgeons. I was given a valium for the night before, and a valium for this morning. My insurance is top notch, so I paid for the Nitrous..JUST IN CASE. ~ After being numbed, I had brought a blanket, and also headphones...... HEADPHONES ARE CLUTCH!!!! And guess what? I'm sitting here typing 5 hours later with gauze in my mouth and one hell of an ache in my mouth. But the procedure was all of 45 minutes. The Surgeon gave me the local, walked out of the room...I put my headphones on... He came back, the assistants leaned me back.... And BAM. They got to the good stuff. The sounds are ehhhh, a little different than a filling... And the pressure from the pulling or lifting of the roots is wild. My tooth was actually split into pieces. Did I feel that? No. Do I recollect everything? Yes. But do you care at the time? No. ~ You do not feel anything, pressure is all.

Afterwards. I am sitting here with an icepack and taking my 800mg ibuprofen. Other than being starved, the worst part of this whole thing is lip sensation. It went away, but I think it resembled a numbness slash tingling feeling that is more annoying than anything.

Point being... YOU WILL BE FINE. Whether you get these out when your roots are already established, or if you are a young man or woman who is researching too much like I did...... Excuse my grammar, punctuation, and spelling. I just wanted to share. If you're ok with being sedated, go for it! If you're paranoid like me, then go with the local. Surgeons are trained, and they do their absolute best to make the procedure as smooth as possible. I wish you all good fortune in the years to come. Give everyone in your operating room a warm smile and thanks. They deserve it for dealing with patients like us.

Back