• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Full bottom denture - is top partial necessary?

I

Islandersgirl74

Had 2 molars on top right pulled last month. The plan is to get mold for a partial on top and mold for full bottom denture. Getting all bottom teeth pulled in July and then getting the partial and immediate lower. How much of a nessesity is getting the partial on top? You can’t even see that those top two are missing. It’s very costly and being in the middle of divorce if I could save money from not getting too done I’m hoping to just do the bottom. Thoughts?

Re: Dentures

I'd be inclined to get a second opinion and see if there is any chance of saving some of the lower teeth or roots as anchors for overdentures. This would probably work out quite a bit cheaper than saving up for implants in the future. Sorry, I know this isn't addressing your actual question! But if your work involves a lot of speaking, overdentures could potentially make your life a lot easier.

The door creaks open and a white haired, gnarled old character appears. Yes, I'm back, retired from dentistry and now I find myself with some time on my hands to post on this site again.

Your question is really hard to answer without seeing your mouth, depends on what teeth you're missing on the top and how your teeth come together when you bite, if you're only missing the couple on the back that you mention in your post, then you maybe could do without a partial on the upper arch.

However, you're lining yourself up for the most difficult denture of them all to manage here, an immediate, complete lower denture against natural upper teeth is an absolute nightmare to wear, please see if there is anything you can do to retain a couple of lower teeth even for a short time, preferably cuspids or bicuspids to support the denture, it would make a tremendous difference!

The door creaks open and a white haired, gnarled old character appears. Yes, I'm back, retired from dentistry and now I find myself with some time on my hands to post on this site again.

:jump::jump::jump:

:respect::respect::respect:

Your hair looks as lush and black as ever :) (mine's gone all rainbow-coloured recently).

Welcome back :cheer2::hug5::cheer2:

Your question is really hard to answer without seeing your mouth, depends on what teeth you're missing on the top and how your teeth come together when you bite, if you're only missing the couple on the back that you mention in your post, then you maybe could do without a partial on the upper arch.

However, you're lining yourself up for the most difficult denture of them all to manage here, an immediate, complete lower denture against natural upper teeth is an absolute nightmare to wear, please see if there is anything you can do to retain a couple of lower teeth even for a short time, preferably cuspids or bicuspids to support the denture, it would make a tremendous difference!

Why is it a nightmare??

Lots of things.

It's extremely awkward, the denture tends to move about all the time when eating, there's less bone to support the denture (than in the upper arch), so it gets painful with chewing, the natural teeth/jaw can generate a lot more force than a denture does, so you've got a big imbalance in chewing forces compared to a full set of dentures and so on.

Partials and full

I have two missing molars on top that you reall can’t see. The plan this summer is to be fitted for a partial on top and I’m getting a full on bottom. None can be saved. I just don’t have the money but I know the bottom must be done. I hate looking at my bottom teeth. Could I get away with not getting the partial on top since it’s onky two molars you can’t see?

Hope you don't mind me merging your two threads as the question is essentially the same! I think this may already have been answered (though maybe it got lost in amongst all the other posts in this thread):

Lots of things.

It's extremely awkward, the denture tends to move about all the time when eating, there's less bone to support the denture (than in the upper arch), so it gets painful with chewing, the natural teeth/jaw can generate a lot more force than a denture does, so you've got a big imbalance in chewing forces compared to a full set of dentures and so on.

Gordon is right lower dentures are difficult. If possible an overdenture makes a huge improvement. Basically you save a couple of teeth by performing root canals then cut them off at the gumline and place two "snaps" in them where the denture snaps overtop of the roots.

Back