• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Full mouth series or panorex xray for wisdom teeth?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Susanne
  • Start date Start date
Susanne

Susanne

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 13, 2014
Messages
117
Location
USA
My current dentist took bitewing xrays when I went to see him a couple weeks ago, as well as a PA xray on a root canal tooth to make sure it was still in good shape. I have several cavities which need filling, plus I need a crown on the root canal tooth. His office wanted me to come back and do a full-mouth series for one of the new dentists taking over his practice.

I've had a full-mouth series w/in the last 4 years and don't understand the need for another this soon. My dentist's office wouldn't say why they want a full-mouth series other than a vague reason of "so we can coordinate a treatment plan for you." If the bitewing xrays and in-office exam already have determined what needs treating, then I don't understand the need for additional xrays and would prefer not to be exposed to any more radiation.

Since my dentist is retiring soon, I've been to see a couple of other dentists to try and find someone with whom I am comfortable. The others I've seen have said the bitewings are sufficient, except that they want to do a panorex xray as well to determine the status of my wisdom teeth and for future reference if I decide to get orthodontic treatment. I didn't care for one of the other dentists I visited and am on the fence about the second. I asked my current dentist about the panorex and they said they did not do that kind in their office and that the full series would provide enough info about my wisdom teeth.


i'm so confused now and don't know what to do. Are either kind of xray sufficient for determining the status of the wisdom teeth? I don't want to expose myself to excess radiation and certainly don't want to do one kind of xray only to be told later that I need the other kind as well. Very confusing!:(
 
Hi,

just my two pence but I would go for an X-ray of the entire mouth, the panorex. Not only can they then tell you what the lowdown is on the wisdom teeth but then they could also spot any cavities or other issues you might have and not know about.

I've had two done within the last year...thanks to switching dental offices...*sigh* and I think it's been around $100 each time or who knows. Some places charge an arm and a leg, though. It just all depends. But I just think the panorex is the best since it will give you everything.

If you don't like any of the dentists you've got right now, assuming there are some you haven't tried in your area, search around for whoever seems to do quality work. You want to be comfortable if that's a luxury at the moment.

Best wishes :butterfly:
 
Hi,

The radiation of an X-ray is very small and if the X-ray is digital it is even 10 times smaller than the analog one. Although it is better to limit the radiation the patinet receives, it is not really a health-risk factor.

An X-ray has to have an indication. The indication might vary between dentists, but the reason should be stated.
For the wisdom teeth a panoramic (panorex) is considered the more suitable one.
 
In my experience most oral surgeons I've been to use the panorex. it's so much more comfortable for me too because I have a really small mouth.
 
Back
Top