• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Full upper and lower extractions and dentures

@Laurentoni what a positive transformation... They really suit you and hopefully seeing yourself smiling back at you in the mirror will be the best reward after they're fit at the final stages.

@Laurentoni what a positive transformation... They really suit you and hopefully seeing yourself smiling back at you in the mirror will be the best reward after they're fit at the final stages.
Thank you so much xx

@Laurentoni Thank you so much for answering! I’m already going through withdrawal from biting my bottom lip since right now I can’t use my front teeth as they’re part of what needs to come out :toofunny: I can’t wait till I can do that again LOL

I’m planning on being put out myself (my dentist suggested it’d be best since I’m my anxiety is just that severe. Getting extractions while awake might be a run before you can walk scenario) so I’m glad to hear it went well for you! And thank you for being honest about how tough it can be. I’ve been trying to mentally prepare for that, and I’m definitely reminding myself of the beautiful smile I’ll get at the end of it.

You look absolutely stunning in your before/after photos! I’m so happy you got your smile back, that’s fantastic! :love:

Looks great I am having teeth out and full dentures so scared

@Mary64 the unknown is very scary but i promise it will all be worth it in a few months from now when things have settled down and you can smile with such confidence.

Baby steps is the way forward and dont put too much pressure on yourself to quickly.

Best of luck x

Hi how’s it all going read your story I am in the same boat now getting all teeth 20 of them removed because of gum disease and getting top bottom dentures thanks

@Laurenton thanks yes been crying in pain at the moment thou with infection that will be a good thing to get rid of how you finding the dentures

Hi Jodie, i was wondering if you or anyone else may be able to help me..

So i have my upper arch now which is perfectly fine but we are having alot of problems with the lower arch. Its been a few months now and two different lower arches made and neither will fit my bottom jaw. The dentist has said the teeth are far to big for my mouth and there isn't alot else she can do. I have been referred to one of her colleagues for a second opinion but my question is... what if they cant find a solution for this? What sort of options do i have as at the moment its impossible for me to save over £10k for a lower arch implantation and i wasnt aware this could happen so im feeling a little deflated x

Hi @Laurentoni, sorry to hear you are having some issues with your lower denture. This is unfortunately more common as there is no natural suction to keep them stable but instead a balance of muscles between your tongue and cheeks.

Although you are not yet comfortable with the lower please remind yourself that you are only 3 months into an initial 6 month process during which your jaw bone will change shape drastically.

At the 6 month mark it is more likely that a new lower denture will settle better and then 4-8 weeks to get used to it and for your muscles to keep it in place.

If it genuinely is because the teeth are too big then there should be an apotion to record your bite again and check the height to reconfirm. Additionally a smaller mould of tooth can be chosen if the height is found to be a little open and can therefore be reduced.

Long term it might be worth considering saving up over a number of years (if that instead could be an option and just not for right now) for the future to get implants if this continues to be an issue. But hopefully when your jaw settles and the opening height is checked they can make a set that is more comfortable.

On the positive side I am really pleased your upper denture has settled in so quickly. That is fantastic news.

Back