• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gas and Halcion together?

M

momof5

Junior member
Joined
Oct 3, 2014
Messages
3
Hello all,

I have " enjoyed " reading the support you all have here for each other.
Worse has come to worse and I have 2 extractions tomorrow. I probably need more but they only looked at the really painful teeth right now.
Now I will not have any bottom teeth after the procedure except one lonely one in the middle on bottom right side.
Anyway, very fearful.
Dentist gave me a script for halcion but said I have to decide either halcion or gas, not both.
In the past I had valium and gas-from another dentist.
Has anyone here had both? Is there a problem with using both?

Thanks:redface:
 
Last edited:
Hi There and Welcome!

You've come to the right place and I'm glad you posted! I am so sorry you have had so much to deal with with regards to extractions...and I'm sure things that came before that. Hopefully the work you are having done will help you in the long run and be "a small sacrifice for a larger gain" and you'll feel better.

To answer your halcion question, I am not a doctor or dentist...not even close...but my experience has been yes, you can have both but it is up to you and obviously your doctor. I think the idea is with the halcion you won't need the gas or vice versa but I am living proof that is not always the case. Both my endodontist and dentist have separately prescribed halcion for me for their appointments and both have also intended to give gas. I will say that I usually take 2 an hour before and 2 when I get to the office BUT when the dr wanted to use gas he had me only take one pill an hour before, not two. I did not want to use the gas from a previous experience I disliked so we stuck with straight halcion.

For the root canal with the endodontist I took the halcion at his office. After taking 3 halcion plus Benadryl (all given by him in his office an hour before the procedure) he told me we did gas as well (not that I remember it and only for a few minutes for the first major drilling part as I was "non compliant" ) but I lived to tell you this story.

I am sure your doctor has reasons why he prefers one or the other not both but I know both can be done...maybe not often...but it can be done. I'd do the halcion as it will be in your system when you leave and might help a little with any post extraction discomfort (or memory of it) whereas when gas is off it is over. Halcion can work wonders but I think it is all about the dosage and the timing. My dentist prefers me to have the first appointment of the day and has me take one before bed the night before then two at 6am before I arrive at 7am for the appointment and then two there if needed.

I hope this is helpful for you. Good luck to you tomorrow and in the days ahead as you recover. Please stop in and let us know how you are when you feel up to it.
 
The level of sedation must be consistent with the comfort and training level of the doctor that is treating you.
 
Thank you both.
I decided to follow the doctors suggestion and take a Halcion lastnight ( extraction is this morning) and I felt nothing - except slightly weird. Not relaxed at all. So I guess it's just the gas today. I am terrified right now. And I will not have back teeth to chew any more. They are not sure about bone graft. This is horrible. But the swelling from infection is back - have to do it.
 
good luck with your appointment today :hugs:
 
Well...I didn't go.
I started getting nauseous at home and it only got worse when going there. Had to cancel. Crazy.
I may just need to find someone I feel better about too - as this dentist is far from warm, fuzzy and accomadating. Bummer...
 
Hi There and Welcome!

You've come to the right place and I'm glad you posted! I am so sorry you have had so much to deal with with regards to extractions...and I'm sure things that came before that. Hopefully the work you are having done will help you in the long run and be "a small sacrifice for a larger gain" and you'll feel better.

To answer your halcion question, I am not a doctor or dentist...not even close...but my experience has been yes, you can have both but it is up to you and obviously your doctor. I think the idea is with the halcion you won't need the gas or vice versa but I am living proof that is not always the case. Both my endodontist and dentist have separately prescribed halcion for me for their appointments and both have also intended to give gas. I will say that I usually take 2 an hour before and 2 when I get to the office BUT when the dr wanted to use gas he had me only take one pill an hour before, not two. I did not want to use the gas from a previous experience I disliked so we stuck with straight halcion.

For the root canal with the endodontist I took the halcion at his office. After taking 3 halcion plus Benadryl (all given by him in his office an hour before the procedure) he told me we did gas as well (not that I remember it and only for a few minutes for the first major drilling part as I was "non compliant" ) but I lived to tell you this story.

I am sure your doctor has reasons why he prefers one or the other not both but I know both can be done...maybe not often...but it can be done. I'd do the halcion as it will be in your system when you leave and might help a little with any post extraction discomfort (or memory of it) whereas when gas is off it is over. Halcion can work wonders but I think it is all about the dosage and the timing. My dentist prefers me to have the first appointment of the day and has me take one before bed the night before then two at 6am before I arrive at 7am for the appointment and then two there if needed.

I hope this is helpful for you. Good luck to you tomorrow and in the days ahead as you recover. Please stop in and let us know how you are when you feel up to it.

Just a comment: In some states that amount of medication is not legal without a sedation permit.
 
Hi Dr. Kimsey,

How do I know if they have a permit? They don't take my blood pressure or monitor anything they just give me the pills to put under my tongue. Kind of hit or miss if they work at all and they don't ever give me more than 4 halcion.

I happened to have a dr appointment before a dentist appointment and they kept retaking my BP & pulse because it was so high. I explained it wasn't this appt but the dental appt after i was dreading and he gave me a Rx for 0.5 clonazepam? to take for this week's visit. He's an anesthesiologist I see for plexus blocks. He thought one or two of those would be better than 4 halcion & Benadryl & said endodontist/dentist can call him to discuss. Is clonazepam used for dental work too?

After having the abscess lanced last week my tooth is relatively quiet for the first time since the original RCT in June so I think I am going to cancel Wednesday's RCT Retreatment appointment BUT it would be good to know about the permit and what to look for in the future as I have 10
more teeth needing work.

Thanks very much for your help, Dr. Kimsey!
With appreciation,
Mugz
 
Clonazapam (brand name Klonopin) is another benzodiazepine. It's relatively fast acting and is used a my to treat anxiety.

You may be able to check the state licensing board online about the sedation permit.

And, Mugz -- glad to hear you're feeling so much better! Wish I could say the same :-(.
 
Thanks Fearful!
Sorry to hear you are having a bad time.....sometimes I think that is the way it has to work to make sure you don't cancel...at least the way it has always been for me. Unless it hurts I find a reason not to go.

Momof5 -
How are you feeling? I'm sorry you got sick but think maybe it is a good thing you didn't go through with it with a doctor you didn't feel good about. Have you checked out any other docs since you cancelled? Hope your teeth aren't causing you too much pain at the moment while you find someone you can trust to help you.
 
Back
Top