• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

getting close!!!!!very scared

J

jade66

well itried the wax molds in last week and they looked great!!! but now the real deal is the 20th 5 teeth on top getting yanked and in go the upper dentures...iam getting ill every day with nausea and diarreha..i know it is nerves but i do have ibs that is making it worse!!!! i just keep thinking oh my they are going to rip 5 teeth out of my gums and i want to scream....then some months later the bottoms go 4 teeth there...the only thing keeping me sane is how nice the teeth looked >>>>but what if i cannot tolerate them and never get used to them,,,,what if the sores are so bad i willnot be able to stand tem in my mouth!!!!!! help

Hi Jade!

Is the denture you're getting a full denture or a partial denture?

I had 9 teeth on top pulled about 7 weeks ago, and had a full immediate denture put in at the time of the extractions. I've had to go in for quite a few adjustments during these last 7 weeks, but over all I've been very lucky with mine, and haven't had any issues arise that my dentist hasn't been able to help me deal with.

I think if you go in with a positive attitude, it helps a LOT!! And if you can, drink pineapple juice the day before your extractions, the day of your extractions, and then for at least two more days following that. (I drank (3) 8 oz glasses a day, and I really think that helped speed up the healing time of the extractions!!) My dentist was surprised at how quickly my gums have recovered.

Just thought I'd throw out some bits I've learned. If you have any more questions, ask away. The people on this forum are GREAT, they can and will offer advice and support - all you gotta do is ask!!

I will be getting A full denture upper ..then later lower, my panic and anxiety are through the roof....thank you for the pineapple juice tip..i have heard itis good for digestive problems also.....what can you eat the first few days?

The day of the extractions I really didn't have an appetite. Got the pain meds on the way home, and took them as soon as I walked in the door (the oral surgeon told me to do this-I guess they numbed my mouth up to do the extractions-as I was already under sedation I don't remember them doing!-and wanted the pain meds in before the numbness wore off). My mouth was kinda sore and achey the first few days, but Ibuprofen along with the pain meds kept th of the pain at bay.

The first few days I stuck with "cream of" soups - I preferred cream of chicken, but the potato isn't bad of you can find it. I had puddings and yogurt and applesauce too. After 3 to 4 days you can try things like macaroni dishes, I found egg salad sandwiches were do-able for me, but bread can be tricky as it likes to stick to the denture, and then move on to regular soups.

I have a journal on here called Dental Destiny which covers most of my recovery from having the extractions done under IV sedation (neatest thing EVER!!) and waking up with my denture in (I also had my last 2 molars pulled on the bottom at the same time, so I was left with 7 front bottom teeth of my own after I woke up. It goes through my adventure with food somewhat, and my trials with denture adhesives, etc. You might want to read through it a bit, and there are many other denture journals on here, that cover just about all the ups and downs of going from any shape natural teeth to having dentures.

You will more than likely have to do salt water rinses after the first day, and these taste not too good, but do help your mouth heal nicely. If it helps any, I went in on a Thursday morning to have the extractions, had Friday, Saturday and Sunday off, then returned to work full time on Monday, with my new smile - and it was great to be able to laugh again without having to cover my mouth (I had lost one of my top front teeth, which is what prompted MY journey into "denturedom".

I have since had to have one of my front bottom teeth extracted (this past Thursday), so I will be working towards getting a bottom partial denture (I have got no lower molars at all, just 6 teeth now left on the bottom, all in the front), and am looking forward to having a mouthful of teeth. I am hoping to have the bottom partial within 11 weeks, so wish me luck!!

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions.

i forgot to mention my dentist gave me ativan to take the day of the big pull..has anyone taken this and what side effects did you have..he gave this to me because of my high anxiety and panic attacks...guess he does not want to deal with me if i get one in the chair while he is busy pulling!!!! i have taken xanax and clonopin at times and it just makes me sleepy!!!!

Back