The day of the extractions I really didn't have an appetite. Got the pain meds on the way home, and took them as soon as I walked in the door (the oral surgeon told me to do this-I guess they numbed my mouth up to do the extractions-as I was already under sedation I don't remember them doing!-and wanted the pain meds in before the numbness wore off). My mouth was kinda sore and achey the first few days, but Ibuprofen along with the pain meds kept th of the pain at bay.
The first few days I stuck with "cream of" soups - I preferred cream of chicken, but the potato isn't bad of you can find it. I had puddings and yogurt and applesauce too. After 3 to 4 days you can try things like macaroni dishes, I found egg salad sandwiches were do-able for me, but bread can be tricky as it likes to stick to the denture, and then move on to regular soups.
I have a journal on here called Dental Destiny which covers most of my recovery from having the extractions done under IV sedation (neatest thing EVER!!) and waking up with my denture in (I also had my last 2 molars pulled on the bottom at the same time, so I was left with 7 front bottom teeth of my own after I woke up. It goes through my adventure with food somewhat, and my trials with denture adhesives, etc. You might want to read through it a bit, and there are many other denture journals on here, that cover just about all the ups and downs of going from any shape natural teeth to having dentures.
You will more than likely have to do salt water rinses after the first day, and these taste not too good, but do help your mouth heal nicely. If it helps any, I went in on a Thursday morning to have the extractions, had Friday, Saturday and Sunday off, then returned to work full time on Monday, with my new smile - and it was great to be able to laugh again without having to cover my mouth (I had lost one of my top front teeth, which is what prompted MY journey into "denturedom".
I have since had to have one of my front bottom teeth extracted (this past Thursday), so I will be working towards getting a bottom partial denture (I have got no lower molars at all, just 6 teeth now left on the bottom, all in the front), and am looking forward to having a mouthful of teeth. I am hoping to have the bottom partial within 11 weeks, so wish me luck!!
I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions.