• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Getting used to a partial denture

U

utterwimp

I had a front tooth out the day before yesterday and had a partial denture fitted.
About 24 hours later it came out by itself. I have tried a few times to put it in today but can't do it. It won't go in and won't stay there. My patient dentist is now on holiday for two weeks. With encouragement from my patient husband, I have just telephoned the dental practice and have an appointment to see another dentist tomorrow.
I suppose what I am really thinking is - is this normal? Maybe I am just not doing it correctly?

Hi Utterwimp, this happenned to me too, my dentist was only on holiday for one week though. In my case the tooth next to the denture teeth had shifted slightly and I could not fit the denture back in, I saw a different dentist at the practice and he filed a bit off the side of the denture, is there another dentist that you could see? It only took two minutes, after me being in a complete panic.

I am an idiot (as well as a total wimp) I have just re read and you have an appointment with another dentist, you'll be fine UW.

You are not an idiot. You are very kind :)

Have just managed to get it back in and then a few minutes later it came out again!
I could hardly speak while it was in and it wasn't easy to swallow, but I have read that it can take a while to get used to it.

I have a slight gap, too, at the side, and my dentist said he would put a tooth on the denture to fill that gap, too, but it needn't stay there if I didn't want it. It is too tight so hope it will be taken off. I was happy before as it was :)
Also, the tooth on the denture at the front is too long so am hoping it can be shortened.

Last edited:
I had a front tooth out the day before yesterday and had a partial denture fitted.
About 24 hours later it came out by itself. I have tried a few times to put it in today but can't do it. It won't go in and won't stay there. My patient dentist is now on holiday for two weeks. With encouragement from my patient husband, I have just telephoned the dental practice and have an appointment to see another dentist tomorrow.
I suppose what I am really thinking is - is this normal? Maybe I am just not doing it correctly?

You are talking about a flipper? One of those temporary denture things. There is no metal, right? And they are hard acrylic? They never stay in right and yes it's hard to talk with them. But it's there for cosmetics until you get your cast metal removable partial denture w/clasps or flexi-valplast partial w/clasps made.

The dentist took off the one at the side and shortened the front tooth on the denture and that feels and looks better now. I mentioned what you said and he said it is not a flipper but that after extraction all dentures are temporary. And he put some fixodent on it.

The dentist took off the one at the side and shortened the front tooth on the denture and that feels and looks better now. I mentioned what you said and he said it is not a flipper but that after extraction all dentures are temporary. And he put some fixodent on it.

Mine isn't temporary. And it's the first partial denture I had after my extractions. It's a full lower valplast. It's meant to last as long as possible.
Dentures are only temporary if you are getting implants or a permanent bridge, or if you bought a hard acrylic interim flipper.

I wish it had not been taken out, it could have waited longer. I wish I had known more about dentures beforehand and had asked questions and found out more about them. I feel quite despondent. It seemed to have loosened slightly and slipped slightly yesterday evening but nothing more, now am wondering when should I try to take it out and how to do it, tongue is in the way, not easy to eat, had so little advice before; should go on the support board now! :(

Hi Utterwimp, I know just how you feel, I hung on for a year and it was just worry hanging over me all the time, I
was only postponing the evil day. You will soon get used to the denture, it is really not that bad. I would think you ought to take it out and eat without it if you want to, it will cheer you up if you can enjoy your food! I'm not sure how to describe taking it out, I've got 7 teeth on my denture and it was easy to take it out, it is probably more fiddly with just one but there will be a way! :hug2:

Someone advised on how to get it out. Thank you. And later I then used a tiny amount of adhesive, I think the dentist must have used too much because it had been difficult to get it out!

Trying still to be positive but currently regret having it done.

Just wondering - my dentist had told me that I have a narrow arch in my mouth - would that make it more difficult to get used to it?

I think they are just quite difficult to get used to whatever shape of mouth. I am doing badly too!! Do you have the option of a bridge or implant?

I think he said there were options of a bridge or an implant and for an implant he would have to refer me elsewhere.

Now, without the plate in, the teeth the other side of the gap seem to be sticking out and dig into the lip a little, sometimes top lip, sometimes bottom one.

I really don't like this, it feels very unnatural.

Well, I have tried to be positive about it, but am finding it more difficult to be so. Brief dental appointment on Monday.

I saw my dentist today who was very understanding, and a new plate and tooth will be made, so three more appointments made, the first one being for impressions to be taken.

That is good news, your dentist sounds nice, I'm getting a new denture made too, but with a different dentist. I would be looking forward to it but I have to have three more teeth removed which I dread!!!
I hope that both us Wimps will get on better with our new gnashers. :cheers:

Thank you.

I shall be thinking of you. It helps, I think, to empathise.

Back