• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Getting used to partial denture advice please

• Thread starter inneedofsupport
  • Start date
I

inneedofsupport

I've had my partial dentures in since yesterday and am pleased to report that I don't really feel them in my mouth - until I have to speak or eat.

I'm not too worried about the speaking as I sound almost normal, apart from the odd words here and there, so I figure with time that will improve.

The problem I have is that I am starving. Since yesterday morning I have had soup, some ready brek another soup and a weetabix. I'm cooking up some scrambled eff at the moment mind you. I just don't have a clue how to eat.

It all feels so wrong, like it's going under the plate (although I know it's not as it's tight on the roof of my mouth). Is it a feeling I just need to get used to?

The plate feels lower on my left side than on my right, so if i eat on the left (the side I'm used to after years of ajusting to the lack of teeth I had), it feels like the right side of the denture is being pushed upwards.

I'm really really pleased with them, can't stop checking them in the mirror, but I'm going to starve to death at this rate. I'm only 8 stone at a push, feel dizzy and lightheaded I'm that hungry.

Any advice would be appreciated. (I should mention I only really eat soft food anyway, not expecting to eat apples or steak or anything of the like).

It can be difficult to get use to a removable appliance especially when there is some movement.
Partials have metal clasps which help hold them in and it is very common to have to tighten them after a couple of weeks.
In general all of your teeth should touch when you bite down so you might want to check on that if they don't all touch.

Thank you. I don't have clasps on mine as I don't have back ones and dentist said the clasps would be noticible, the partials don't go all the way back, just half way (I have a small mouth).

I think I just need to learn how to eat again. I'll see how I do over the weekend, if I can't get it I might go back and get them checked.

Back