• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

going to cancel appointment

B

browneyes21

hi everyone, :redface:

basically i've been having treatment since march, x-rays then 1 wisdom tooth extracted, then impressions, then 4 front top teeth extracted and cysts removed from inside the gums then stitches and then the stitches removed, i need 2 fillings and a deep clean because of gum disease. i couldnt get an appointment with the hygenist till the end of sept and then have my full days deep clean in october, the problem is have an appointment on wednesday for 1 filling then i need 1 more but i feel like i need to cancel the appointment, i have spent the whole day sobbing, i am terrified, i feel like ive been through so much and im mentally exhausted, i was going to ring the dentist tomorrow and ask if i could cancel my appointment on wednesday and ask could i have my fillings done when i go for my deep cleaning, i have been so stressed out the last 5 months that i cant think of anything other than my teeth, it is taking over my life and i know i have become very miserable and down, i spoke to my husband and he said i'm just not the same person, i think all the worry has taken its toll on me, i feel like such a failure not going ahead with wednesdays appointment but im at the end of my tether with it, please could anyone give me a bit of support and advice :cry:

You aren't a failure at all. :XXLhug: It's completely understandable

You have had so much Dental Work done & have come so far :)

Maybe you just need a short break from your Dental Treatment. Maybe having a break from it all,will help u to regain your strength.

Sounds like a good idea having the Fillings done with the Deep Clean. Then u get it all over in 1 day :)

I'm sure your Dentist will understand. :) Hope you feel bit better soon :XXLhug:
And you are not a failure :XXLhug:

Hi browneyes,

I'm sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time.  I completely understand you feeling down right now but I think that's mainly due to fear of your upcoming appointment.  Please don't forget about all of your successes.  When I read your first sentence right off the bat I noticed that you have gone through the most extensive procedures of your treatment plan.  Most people start off slow, but not you.....bam, you went through all the big stuff and have already achieved more than 3/4 of your treatment.   :jump:  :respect:!  That's pretty impressive if you ask me.  :)

As for you being stressed for the last five months and worrying about your teeth, I think that's a pretty common occurance too.  I can assure you I was the same way and I felt horrible that I was practically neglectful to my hubby and friends.  (He was lucky he even got a birthday cake, let alone presents!) I felt as though I was going through the motions and most of my time was spent worrying about my upcoming appointments.  I kept promising him that once I was done with my treatment everything would be better but deep down inside I was worried that I would still keep fretting about my teeth.  I can assure you that once it was all said and done I felt like celebrating again! :party:  I was able to feel proud of myself for getting through all of it and start appreciating things again.  I'm sure you will also get to that point.  There is such a feeling of accomplishment when it's all over, you feel like you are starting with a clean slate!  

Obviously you need to do what is best for you regarding your filling appointment.  Personally, I think you should try to keep it.  My last "big" treatment appointment was so dreaded that I wanted to fall off the face of the earth rather than go.  At least until they called me and postponed it for a week.  I was so upset rather than happy and I realized that I really did want to finish my treatment and have it behind me instead of spending each and every day obsessing over it.  I'm afraid that if you cancel it, two things are going to happen - one, you will feel bad about it and later wish you hadn't cancelled it and two, you will then spend the whole month of August and September worrying about having your fillings done at your deep cleaning.  I know it's not an easy decision and we are all here you to offer you support whether you go this week or wait a couple of months. :grouphug:  Regardless of what you choose, just remember that you've already been very strong and should be proud of that.  No one can call you a failure so wipe that thought right out of your mind!  :)

Do what feels right, we are all here for you!
:grouphug:
Pam

Just been catching up and read what you said about thinking of cancelling tomorrow's appointment. Obviously none of us can tell you what to do, only you can make that final all important decision. I know it's very very hard, we're all on this site because we all have our own fears, phobias to varying degrees. For my own part, I'm terrified of simply everything, and it's been very hard going for me to get where I am - not too far yet, but I'm keeping going. If I were in your shoes I might be thinking though how proud of myself I am having come so far, and although perhaps still feeling terrified and getting cold feet (as I am doing about my own treatment), somehow I'm having a battle with myself like fear versus common sense. Perhaps if you try to tell yourself that yes, you're scared stiff, but you know after just a fraction of time compared to the rest of your life, everything is going to be fine, perhaps common sense will win. If you cancel or postpone, you've got even longer in which you're going to be frightened and we all know when you're frightened all your fears are heightened and become much worse than things really are.
I hope you can manage to continue with your appointment tomorrow. We're all with you, we really are. Do let us know what you decide and how you get on if (and I hope you do) you go along. :grouphug:

hi issy, takingflight and scared stiff

thank you for your kind words of support and encouragement, well i got my husband to ring up the dentist and cancel tomorrows appointment and he has re-scheduled my appointments for my fillings on the same day as my deep clean, i know i am determined to finish off my treatment but i feel that having everything combined into one day will be better for me, i think when your frightened it's so easy to knock yourself and think of all the negatives instead of all the positives of what i have achieved so far, a big thank  you for reminding me of this and for your support.

browneyes21 said:
hi issy, takingflight and scared stiff

thank you for your kind words of support and encouragement, well i got my husband to ring up the dentist and cancel tomorrows appointment and he has re-scheduled my appointments for my fillings on the same day as my deep clean, i know i am determined to finish off my treatment but i feel that having everything combined into one day will be better for me, i think when your frightened it's so easy to knock yourself and think of all the negatives instead of all the positives of what i have achieved so far, a big thank  you for reminding me of this and for your support.

I'm pleased you have done what feels right for you  :)

I hope it all goes well :) Wish i was as far ahead as you are - i'm yet to see a Dentist

Back