• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Going To Make An Appointment for Next Week and Dreading It

C

CollegeBound

Title pretty much says it all. I am going to make an appointment tomorrow and see when I can get in for a cleaning and exam. Ugh.

You can do it CollegeBound! *waves pompoms*

One step at a time, go in, see what you think of them and take it from there x Here if you need us!

You've got this! The hardest part will be picking up the phone. Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks guys! So my mom has an appointment today with this dentist, and she asked me to go with her. I will get to see the waiting room today and see how they treat her. Not in the exam room, but see how they interact with her. I'm kind of scared, but at least I'm not getting treatment today.

You can do it! Coming from someone who can't sit in a dental chair without wanting to throw up and run, I went Monday to get a tooth extracted. I didn't feel anything. I think the biggest thing for me was the fact that I let the dentist know ahead of time that I have a terrible phobia and him as well as the whole staff was so cordial and welcoming. If you get a good vibe from this practice, I know that may seem impossible but if you do, tell yourself it will all be okay! Nitrous oxide (laughing gas) is also a big help for someone with a phobia of the dentist. I was on it the whole time at my appointment on Monday and in all honesty, I didn't care what was happening.

Thank you Kaions! I don't feel comfortable using Nitrous because I am afraid that I will just use it as a mask to hide from what I am really afraid of, but I am so glad that it helps you! I have heard lots of good things about it.

Today, as I mentioned, I went to an appointment with my mom so she could have x-rays done and have her teeth cleaned. I waited in the waiting room for a little over an hour, and saw people walking in and out. None of them crying, screaming, or seemed distressed, so that was a good sign. I made an appointment for May 5th at 1:30pm. I normally like earlier appointments so that I don't stress over it all day, but it's what they could offer me.

Mom seemed satisfied with how her teeth looked and felt after her cleaning, so hopefully I will be just as happy too.

Yay!!!! You rock! I can offer virtual hand-holding if that will help :)

I will need all the hand holding I can get. Thanks Fearful! I marked another milestone today too. I am talking to somebody, and he always asks about my day. I had already come up with a vague answer that I ran errands with my mother, but instead I told him that I went and waited while my mom got her teeth cleaned. I couldn't bring myself to say the D word, but still. I am pretty happy that I was honest. I don't know why that was hard for me to say. Sometimes I can be so silly.

I just realized I have an appt in May as well (though not until later in the month)... So we can sort of be appt buddies :)

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you have a phobia you're embarrassed over, it can be really painful to even bring it up in conversation! When I was at my worst, even adverts for toothpaste made me want to leave the room :p

But I got through it. You will too, I have no doubt :hug4:

Way to go, CollegeBound!!! I'm so proud of you!! What a big accomplishment!!! You put that cape on and got to business!! I'm hoping the wait is as quick and painless as the appointment will be in May. Holding cyber hands the whole way! Just an email away if you need me!!!

Thanks Mugz! I shall email you back today. I have been SUPER busy here lately, switching between jobs and other things going on.

Update on the CollegeBound ride, I am not going to Ball State in August. Instead, I am going to get a phlebotomy certificate and maybe go into Medical Assisting. Now taking applications for volunteers to allow me to practice on them. Lol