• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Going to schedule dentist appt tomorrow for first time in 7 years, have multiple issues with teeth, terrified

Cody,

:grouphug: Sending you positive thoughts and wishes!! Glad you are able to get in early and they are conscious of your needs and doing all they can to help! I really believe you got this, even though its been years.. Let us know how it goes!! Relief is around the corner.!

Cody! You’re going to do great. The hours leading up to the first appointment are so hard but it’ll be over before you know it. The last time I was at the dentist was before smartphones, so imagine my relief when I could scroll and read positive messages on here from the chair! It helped a ton. Best of luck to you.

Good luck! I’m glad you’re getting it taken care of. I had an infection on an old root canal tooth that went unnoticed for about a month because they were misdiagnosing it as my TMJ issues, and my face SWELLED.

I’m your age, so for me, I felt like I was too young to be going through the issues that I’m going through. But I’m trying to accept that it’s something that just happens that’s out of my control, but I can control what happens now. I have to get the tooth extracted, and even though implants are preferred, I CHOSE to get a bridge because the teeth around it need crowns and I didn’t feel comfortable with that procedure right now. Reminding myself I have choices and that I’m in control has helped me through this process, so that might be something that can help you, too!

I’ll be thinking about you! Good luck.
Face swelling huh? That’s no fun! Thanks for the message. I read this and it gave me courage to go in. Yeah being my age and having dental issues is the main thing keeping me from going due to embarrassment.

So an update, I went in and it went wonderful. Had the root canal procedure done and they filled where it had been chipped off. Turns out the piece that fell out was a filling from a dentist 8 years ago that I had forgotten about. I experienced pretty much zero pain, the procedure was pretty fast too, in an out in 90 minutes. I do have to come back next month to get the medicine taken out of the tooth and have the permanent filling put in it to finish the root canal. He said I will feel bruising once the anesthesia wears off and soreness where he squeezed the stuff from my abscess. I’m on amoxicillin for a few days but everything is good. Only downside was the price, without insurance it cost me a bit but it was worth it. I want to thank all of you lovely people for the help ?❤️

So an update, I went in and it went wonderful. Had the root canal procedure done and they filled where it had been chipped off. Turns out the piece that fell out was a filling from a dentist 8 years ago that I had forgotten about. I experienced pretty much zero pain, the procedure was pretty fast too, in an out in 90 minutes. I do have to come back next month to get the medicine taken out of the tooth and have the permanent filling put in it to finish the root canal. He said I will feel bruising once the anesthesia wears off and soreness where he squeezed the stuff from my abscess. I’m on amoxicillin for a few days but everything is good. Only downside was the price, without insurance it cost me a bit but it was worth it. I want to thank all of you lovely people for the help ?❤️

This is phenomenal news! I had a back molar filling that fell out 7 years before I decided to go in. The tooth finally broke and that’s what convinced me. I’m glad you had such a positive experience. I swear dental offices are so different than I remember them. They refilled it my first visit and I was like that’s it?! Seven years of agony for THAT?! It took like 15 minutes. A lot can change in a decade. I’m super proud of you. This makes me so happy. ?

This is phenomenal news! I had a back molar filling that fell out 7 years before I decided to go in. The tooth finally broke and that’s what convinced me. I’m glad you had such a positive experience. I swear dental offices are so different than I remember them. They refilled it my first visit and I was like that’s it?! Seven years of agony for THAT?! It took like 15 minutes. A lot can change in a decade. I’m super proud of you. This makes me so happy. ?
Lol I’m feeling the same, I almost thought they had the wrong patient when the tilted the chair up and said that’s it, you’re free to go lol. I regret not going years ago, but with each year that passed, it became harder to get myself in there. This is just the beginning as I still have cavities everywhere so it’s going to take quite a few visits to get my mouth healthy but now I’m not so scared. Thanks Thisisme, I read your story the other day and I could relate so much and I thought If you can do it, so can I. ❤️

Lol I’m feeling the same, I almost thought they had the wrong patient when the tilted the chair up and said that’s it, you’re free to go lol. I regret not going years ago, but with each year that passed, it became harder to get myself in there. This is just the beginning as I still have cavities everywhere so it’s going to take quite a few visits to get my mouth healthy but now I’m not so scared. Thanks Thisisme, I read your story the other day and I could relate so much and I thought If you can do it, so can I. ❤

Aww, Cody. I feel the same way! For me, just getting past the embarrassment of them seeing my mouth was the hardest. But it was weird. They weren’t like “OH GOD, LOOK AT THE HORROR!” They were like, “Okay, which tooth. Ah, I see. Okay, we’re going to fill it for you, and that should be good.” WHAT?! Where’s my lecture? Why are you not shaming me for being a horrible person right now? I’m a horrible person, okay I said it. Wait? You understand? You’re telling me everyone starts somewhere. You’re saying thank you for coming? You are treating me like I’m a customer.

Holy crap, I AM a customer.

That has completely changed my perspective. That was not the case last time I went. Like you, I need a bit more work (done with one filling, exam, and cleaning) but I have three small appointments left. Only 3 hours or less left in the chair, and I am basically caught up after 16 years! Somehow, my mouth is not completely a lost cause! I would like to get braces... I’m 31, so I’m a little hesitant, but I feel like this is a new me, and if I can go to a dentist after 16 years, I can be confident enough for braces! It is just such a great feeling. I’m so glad you’re doing well, and a root canal on your first visit is nothing less than impressive. Keep it up, Cody. We’ll get through this together!

Aww, Cody. I feel the same way! For me, just getting past the embarrassment of them seeing my mouth was the hardest. But it was weird. They weren’t like “OH GOD, LOOK AT THE HORROR!” They were like, “Okay, which tooth. Ah, I see. Okay, we’re going to fill it for you, and that should be good.” WHAT?! Where’s my lecture? Why are you not shaming me for being a horrible person right now? I’m a horrible person, okay I said it. Wait? You understand? You’re telling me everyone starts somewhere. You’re saying thank you for coming? You are treating me like I’m a customer.

Holy crap, I AM a customer.

That has completely changed my perspective. That was not the case last time I went. Like you, I need a bit more work (done with one filling, exam, and cleaning) but I have three small appointments left. Only 3 hours or less left in the chair, and I am basically caught up after 16 years! Somehow, my mouth is not completely a lost cause! I would like to get braces... I’m 31, so I’m a little hesitant, but I feel like this is a new me, and if I can go to a dentist after 16 years, I can be confident enough for braces! It is just such a great feeling. I’m so glad you’re doing well, and a root canal on your first visit is nothing less than impressive. Keep it up, Cody. We’ll get through this together!
Aww I know you can get those braces. You’re one tough cookie ? Yeah when I opened my mouth all’s I heard was, so it’s tooth #8? Opening my mouth was what I was so worried about, I was expecting, ridicule and questions. My dentist was an awesome guy, non judgmental, if only there were more dentists like him. “Only 3 hours left? You must feel great! You’ve come so far! You’ve become one of my favorite people on here, please keep me updated on your progress as you’ve truly inspired me and helped me so much.

Cody,

:grouphug: Sending you positive thoughts and wishes!! Glad you are able to get in early and they are conscious of your needs and doing all they can to help! I really believe you got this, even though its been years.. Let us know how it goes!! Relief is around the corner.!
Thanks! Everything went great. I’ve never gotten support like this from anyone so thank you ?

Aww I know you can get those braces. You’re one tough cookie ? Yeah when I opened my mouth all’s I heard was, so it’s tooth #8? Opening my mouth was what I was so worried about, I was expecting, ridicule and questions. My dentist was an awesome guy, non judgmental, if only there were more dentists like him. “Only 3 hours left? You must feel great! You’ve come so far! You’ve become one of my favorite people on here, please keep me updated on your progress as you’ve truly inspired me and helped me so much.

Keep me updated on your progress as well. This phobia can feel so lonely, but it’s stories like yours that remind us that we aren’t alone. My dentist too was awesome guy, which just seems crazy to say, but I kind of love my dentist. ? I used to say I hate my dentist, but I feel the opposite now. Still worried a bit about pain or discomfort AFTER a procedure, but I’m not really worried about the actual work. So much can change in a month. It’s really just getting through that first appointment that is such a huge relief.

Back