• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gum Disease/Recommended Treatment & Questions

D

dhumbee

Hi all - this is my first post on here. So thanks in advance for the assistance. Long story - shortened: I have periodontal disease. Most of my pockets are 2 to 6 mm. I have 2 - 7mm's. In some areas where the disease was more aggressive I have 50% bone loss. I have very slight movement in the front bottom teeth and those terrible black triangles in between teeth.

Over the last few years I have gotten more serious about oral hygiene and I think it has made some difference. I went to a new Perio yesterday (I haven't had any dental work done in about 4 years) and he did x-rays and depth probing. He is recommending deep cleaning and then seeing how that works to close the pockets. I assumed he would recommend LANAP/laser. But he said no, that this and then possible localized surgery, if necessary, would give me more bang for my buck. Which I appreciate his concern over finances...but I still don't want traditional surgery. Anyway, so I press him more about the laser and if that would help me. He says it won't help me regenerate bone loss because my bone loss is level and there are no "major holes" or "dips" in the bone. The more I think about it the more that doesn't make sense to me. If it helps to regenerate bone and gum tissue is one area, it could do that same thing through out the whole mouth?? He also said I probably wouldn't be candidate for a gum graft for the front bottom teeth because you can't put more gum tissue on top when the bone had receded...ok that makes sense.... but how do other people get stuff like that done to close up the triangles?? Overall I liked him and have nothing bad to say, he super gentle and seems to legitimately care, but I want to REALLY understand why LANAP is not an option for me. I was kind of hoping it would be.

Dhumbee,

:welcome: Sounds like you are really getting serious about this as you say and are ready to really get to work on this and also sounds you have your questions in order and concerns and care to get all the answers and peace before you proceed.

I'm not a dentist , but just wanted to see have you thought of going to a 2nd opinion just to get clarity peace of mind.? I've done that on occassion and it really does give a peace and clarity. He sounds like a really decent caring dentist , but they all have their own ways of doing things , and can differ on approaches and procedures they may recommend or be comfortable with performing .
Hope you get the clarity and peace you are looking for whatever route you go!

Back