• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gum flap over retained root

Kml1998

Kml1998

Hello, I have a gum flap over a root that is still In, the tooth broke off to the gumline and I have been to the dentist multiple times and my dentist has always said its okay to leave the root as long as it isn't causing any problems. My questions are

1. Is It okay to leave the root?

2. What happens if I cant clean it properly under the flap

3.if I did get the root removed one day would the gum then cover the hole and not just partially like now

Thanks

Can anyone help me please

It's the weekend. This isn't a full time job for anyone here.

1) Yes
2) Not a lot, the root will decay a bit more but that's not massively important
3) Yes

@Gordon okay thanks Gordon, and can the decayed root spread the decay to the opposing teeth?

@Gordon thank you, appreciate It

what about an abscess possibly forming on that decaying root? I thought time was of the essence to treat a tooth that broke down to the gum line but I am not expert

dentist has always said its okay to leave the root as long as it isn't causing any problems

what about an abscess possibly forming on that decaying root?
Then it would be causing problems.... time is not of the essence when it's just a bit of root. Even if an abscess were to form it would happily drain out through the root unless the patient was very unlucky.

Back