• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gum growth overy healing cap and implants- Is that possible? What will the dentist do if it happens?

P

PetLover

This site has really helped me through my two implants (teeth # 2 and 20) and things have gone well. I recently completed the second stage f when a healing cap or abutment is applied. The bone growth was pretty aggressive on Tooth number 3 and my periodontist had to drill away some bone which had grown over the implant cap/screw; ant secure so that they could put in the healing abutment. The implants are 4 months and 5 months respectively. My hygienist who will be doing the impressions has advised me to do the impressions now, "before the gum tissue grows over the healing caps." This has been a long journey for me, and ideally, I would like to take a break from dental work and being the "patient," (if realistic from a health perspective). If I wait another two months before doing impressions, can the gum tissue really grow over the healing caps? If so, are we talking gum surgery, to trim it back??? I am already trying to deal with to ancient failed root canals. I just don't want any more surgery, if I can avoid it. My objective was to wait a full 6 months before loading the implants anyway, so I don't mind waiting two more months for the impressions.

This site has really helped me through my two implants (teeth # 2 and 20) and things have gone well. I recently completed the second stage f when a healing cap or abutment is applied. The bone growth was pretty aggressive on Tooth number 3 and my periodontist had to drill away some bone which had grown over the implant cap/screw; ant secure so that they could put in the healing abutment. The implants are 4 months and 5 months respectively. My hygienist who will be doing the impressions has advised me to do the impressions now, "before the gum tissue grows over the healing caps." This has been a long journey for me, and ideally, I would like to take a break from dental work and being the "patient," (if realistic from a health perspective). If I wait another two months before doing impressions, can the gum tissue really grow over the healing caps? If so, are we talking gum surgery, to trim it back??? I am already trying to deal with to ancient failed root canals. I just don't want any more surgery, if I can avoid it. My objective was to wait a full 6 months before loading the implants anyway, so I don't mind waiting two more months for the impressions.

I don't have an answer for you, but I have a healing cap on an implant now, and it has been on since February. The implant was put in and the healing cap put on at the same time. It will be a full year from the time of implant/healing cap before I get my crown put on. The gum has grown up but not over.

May I ask, why have you waited so long to move forward with the crown? This site has really helped me, and I am just taking baby steps and moving slowly... one step at a time... one visit per month. I know that the dentists feel that I "could do more," and just complete my treatment plan faster... but more than 1 visit per month really stresses me out I had to get two infected wisdom extracted, the two teeth adjacent to the wisdom got infected had to be extracted and implants put in, I'm dealing with two 20 years old failed root canals, and I had old three cavities in which the fillings started to deteriorate and had to be replaced/rebuilt with impressiomns+crowns needed. For me, it was just a lot of old/sloppy dental work that started to breakdown/fail. All done by dentists leaving with bad experiences. I have found that I can only do one thing at a time so my treatment has stretched out for the past year. I'm planning to take the rest of 2019 off, with regards to dental work (if realistic), and start again in 2020. That is a two-month break. I hope that does not constitute procrastination...

Petlover,

First of all I LOVE your name.. :) do you have any pets? what kind?

I LOVE you are taking care of yourself with great self care, physically and mentally! You know what you can handle and every step counts and if you do it at your pace you can have plenty of positive monentum making sure your needs are cared for.

:welldone:
I think your babysteps are lovely steps of courage and I also believe if anything was urgent then you would feel that and do what you needed for yourself!

This is great!

May I ask, why have you waited so long to move forward with the crown? This site has really helped me, and I am just taking baby steps and moving slowly... one step at a time... one visit per month. I know that the dentists feel that I "could do more," and just complete my treatment plan faster... but more than 1 visit per month really stresses me out I had to get two infected wisdom extracted, the two teeth adjacent to the wisdom got infected had to be extracted and implants put in, I'm dealing with two 20 years old failed root canals, and I had old three cavities in which the fillings started to deteriorate and had to be replaced/rebuilt with impressiomns+crowns needed. For me, it was just a lot of old/sloppy dental work that started to breakdown/fail. All done by dentists leaving with bad experiences. I have found that I can only do one thing at a time so my treatment has stretched out for the past year. I'm planning to take the rest of 2019 off, with regards to dental work (if realistic), and start again in 2020. That is a two-month break. I hope that does not constitute procrastination...

There are two main reasons that I am holding off. First is finances. I literally cannot afford an implant crown right now.

The second one is that I had an implant put in right next to the first one in September and my surgeon said it would be easier to do both crowns at once. He wasn't the slightest bit concerned about the gums growing over the healing cap.

Krloveherkids777,

First, many many thanks for your kind words and support. This has not been easy for me... I have been pretty much working for the past year to get myself back to a decent condition. It started with a few ancients fillings that fell out, no dentist at the time (mine retired... then passed away), a touch of dental anxiety, and those lousy isdom teeth that got infected. I pretty much ignored the lost fillings and pain from, the infection from the wisdom teeth got into the adjacent molars until I couldn't stand it any longer. I'm in the VA/MD/Washington D.C. area and even though I have decent insurance, I could not find a dentist for treatment. On the weekends I would go to the E.R. for antibiotics and something for pain management. This went on for three months before I was able to find my periodontist in January (a retired Navy dentist recommended to me by a co-worker.) for treatment (i.e. extract wisdom teeth/infected teeth, implants, etc). He was willing to work with me at my pace and things went well and was starting to feel a little bit more relaxed.

However,t I am working on the restoration/implant crowns he has passed me on to the general dentist at the practice. They work at a lot faster pace then he did, and one's solution to my nervous at our first meeting was sedation!! I was really offended in that if I managed to get through 3 extractions and two implants under my own power ( i.e. no sedation), clearly, sedation was a necessary tool for me. If they had taken 10 mins to read my file and talk to me as a person they would be able to figure that out. I worked with them and a co-worker, because I wanted to continue to move forward. But they had problems numbing me, etc. and I have become more anxious about dental work then when I first started with them. Working at their faster rate with prolonged visits (i.e. 2 hr appointments), just not for me , I need to take things slow. So I'm taking back the control and visits I feel most comfortable, even if it means 1 appointment a month, for no longer than 1- 1.50 hr at a time. We work on one tooth or project at a time. This rate I won't be done until the spring, but hopefully, I'll feel better about it again. Technically they are all very talented dentist, I'm just not sure that they empathetic enough as to how patients may feel and long term dentists for me. For example, when I mentioned that I needed to take a brief hiatus from the dentist's chair in that I was getting stressed out, they didn't get how emotional stressing and draining being the "dental patient," can be. I think this problem has to do with the fact that they are former military dentists. Just the same, I am making slow progress.. and taking a month-long dental-free vacation.

Regarding the name, I am a big animal lover and almost become a vet. (I ended up becoming a microbiologist instead.) I have 1 Quarter horse mare who is 24 years old, 3 rescued NYC alley cats that I raised from kittens, and 4 society finches (Ernie, Bert, Hazel, and Byrd). I had to put Labrador retriever that I had for 14 yrs to sleep a year ago. I have always had pets and will always animals in my life. They keep me sane. Thanks for your support. Knowing that I others working there way through this challenge really helps.

I am just taking baby steps and moving slowly... one step at a time... one visit per month. I know that the dentists feel that I "could do more," and just complete my treatment plan faster... but more than 1 visit per month really stresses me out

So delighted to read this. Going at your pace is so important and you are the one to decide what that pace is, really glad you are taking care of your well-being and stress level, as @krlovesherkids777 mentioned. :claps:

Back