• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Had braces? Share experiences here!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Alexandra1973
  • Start date Start date
A

Alexandra1973

Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2008
Messages
90
Location
Ohio
I first got my braces at the age of 14, in December of 1987. I got them off a couple of weeks before I turned 17, in February of 1990.

One thing I really hated about them...that glue they used to put them on. Ack! Ptooey! And don't get me started on the gizmo they use to spread your lips/cheeks! :o

No, no needles were involved. I had a huge needle phobia back then (I got over it within the past 15 years).

They give you something to dry out your mouth, some medication you take night before, or that morning. Ack. Ptooey!

I had to go every 4 weeks to get them tightened and it kind of hurt. On top of that, the orthodontist was constantly riding me for not properly brushing, ad nauseum. And my parents had gotten a Water Pik so I could clean around the things. Still not good enough! >:(

The good part was when those blasted things finally came off. They just took a pair of pliers or something and pulled them off, didn't hurt...then I had to have retainers (for the uninitiated, that's to hold your teeth in their new position until things stabilize).

I had my teeth cleaned last week and would you believe...the hygienist told me there was still adhesive! She asked me had I had braces, and I said yes, how can you tell? That's when she mentioned the adhesive. After 20 years! [smiley=hiding.gif] And I'd last had my teeth cleaned in 1992!

I've played flute since age 9 and was in the high school band and I didn't really have problems playing.

Then of course you get the wise-acres. I worked in a Detroit-area bakery when I was 16 and some guy saw my braces and remarked, "I see the tin grin is in!" :meanie:

I took the wind out of that guy's sails when I mentioned that the suckers hurt! :whistle:

So--that's my experience. [smiley=cheers.gif] <---root beer, I don't drink alcohol. :whistle:
 
meh kinda sucked, worth it in the end, i thin i was 11 and had em til i was 12ish
 
Having them at the moment. Sometimes a bit uncomfortable but mostly absolutely no problem. And the result is already amazing. :D If anybody has questions about some details feel free to pm me or leave a message.
Take care
 
Back
Top